IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I am going to grow a coco de mer in Northern California

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

Well, not really, but I am curious with all the fuss about cocos nucifera, why is there almost no talk of Lodoicea maldivica? Is it another case of protectionism so it's not available out of habitat? Has anyone ever tried to grow one - in Socal? In South Florida? In Hawaii? What's the deal with this mysteriously erotic species? Seeds? $500 a piece? How hardy is that thing? Does it fry below 50F?

Is it another case of protectionism so it's not available out of habitat?

I should hope so when someone in Santa Cruz wants to "try it out". There are some nice ones in Hawaii somewhere I saw them here on PT.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Christian Faulkner told me once that he thought it may be hardier than it's given credit for considering it's relatives, much as how Kerriodoxa is, which has a specimen doing well at the UF campus in Gainsville. After how poorly the Lodoicea performed at Fairchild in 2010, I don't know about this statement.

There are a number of them growing in Hawaii, one that I know of in Foster botanical gardens is fruiting. There are 3 small ones at Bo's old garden. The palmtalk member Waykoolplantz has a young one, and there are some at various botanical gardens in Florida, including one in Tampa at Dr. Young's atrium and an unprotected one in a bot garden in palm beach, and I think there are 2 at Fairchild. None of the ones in Florida are of any size though, though some are pretty old.

As far as seed availability, it's so slow growing and I've heard seeds take years to ripen, so this coupled with an export ban in Seychelles means seeds are very expensive even when available, which isn't often.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Probably so little talk since it's next to impossible to get seeds. I germinated and "grew" three of them without difficulty in my old garden, and there's a handful of others here on the island as well as on Oahu and Kauai. Don't know about Maui. I know there have been a few in Florida, but probably none in SoCal.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Well, not really, but I am curious with all the fuss about cocos nucifera, why is there almost no talk of Lodoicea maldivica? Is it another case of protectionism so it's not available out of habitat? Has anyone ever tried to grow one - in Socal? In South Florida? In Hawaii? What's the deal with this mysteriously erotic species? Seeds? $500 a piece? How hardy is that thing? Does it fry below 50F?

I'm going to try one when Home Depot starts stocking them.

I'm notsure wwhat kind of coco it is but every time I've gone to the 2 major hardware stores i've seen a bunch

I'm notsure wwhat kind of coco it is but every time I've gone to the 2 major hardware stores i've seen a bunch

It is a pretty sexy coco! :D

Me too!!! No matter what they say on PalmTalk... :floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor::floor:

Hey Kenny, if you find a coco de mer at home depot, let me know and don't tell anyone else which home depot it is. :hmm:

Clark had a few seeds that his wife smuggled home in her bathing suit. I saw them in his greenhouse. Never heard of they germinated or not.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Clark had a few seeds that his wife smuggled home in her bathing suit. I saw them in his greenhouse. Never heard of they germinated or not.

Wife + 2 coco de mer + bathing suit, enough said...

better than if Clark tried to smuggle them in his trunks ................. :bemused:

I wish we still had that picture on the forum. Maybe employ Moose to do an epic bump

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

UUmmm the honorable Mike Harris has the answers to your query.. :D and the results..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I had one but my lipstick palms choked it out.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

There are 2 Lodoicea maldivica growing at the Montgomery Botanical Center. And another seed in the ground there waiting to sprout. It grows sloooooooooooowly there.

Dr. Noblick said that this one was planted by Colonel Montgomery himself. So considering that Col. Montgomery passed away 60 years ago you can see just how "fast" the rate of growth has been. Maybe that spear will open up in time for the Biennial :rolleyes:

post-3501-0-32199100-1373464814_thumb.jp

This one just recently sprouted:

post-3501-0-80495100-1373464817_thumb.jp

And this one is still in the process.

post-3501-0-29140100-1373464816_thumb.jp

Now I know who I can sell my 200 acres of oceanfront swampland property in Antarctica to.

As long as there's a Home Depot near by...

There are 2 Lodoicea maldivica growing at the Montgomery Botanical Center. And another seed in the ground there waiting to sprout. It grows sloooooooooooowly there.

Dr. Noblick said that this one was planted by Colonel Montgomery himself. So considering that Col. Montgomery passed away 60 years ago you can see just how "fast" the rate of growth has been. Maybe that spear will open up in time for the Biennial :rolleyes:

attachicon.gifIMG_3342_mod.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3352_mod.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3351_mod.JPG

Darn, I think that I'd need a greenhouse and a time machine to grow one of those to a respectable size in California. Maybe I should just stick to having a tiny little Tahina.

Edited by rprimbs

attachicon.gifIMG_3342_mod.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3352_mod.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_3351_mod.JPG

Darn, I think that I'd need a greenhouse and a time machine to grow one of those to a respectable size in California. Maybe I should just stick to having a tiny little Tahina.

I'd be happy to get my hands on a fresh seed just to get to taste it. Although I hear it's kinda un-interesting.

They've got a number of them in the botanic gardens in Darwin. Last time I was there they were fruiting but the fruits were still only little bigger than a coconut. But they get huge numbers of them. Don't know where all the fruits end up (maybe in the coconut smoothies they sell at the kiosk there :floor: )

I'll have to try dig out the photos I took of them.

Why am I that stupid to even look at this topic? I need my head examined......

Ahhh, remember that picture of Clark's wife well. Something about it left quite the memories.

And one of those seeds that Clark brought in did indeed end up in the beautiful garden of Mike Harris here in south Florida.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

dont eat it

try to germinate it for Gods sakes

Here here...weren't we just talking about conserving endangered species on another thread?

I wish we still had that picture on the forum. Maybe employ Moose to do an epic bump

:bemused: Am I getting picked on ? :crying:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

:bemused: Am I getting picked on ? :crying:

Moose, if anyone can find an old thread its you. you should be honored :P

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25