IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Opinion

Fouquieria

OK, so I planted my first palm, a Bismarckia less than two months ago.  It's small but seems to be doing fine and is sending up a new spear.  About a month ago, I got a Brahea decumbens and it is tiny and apparently will have to spend a goodly amount of time in a pot.

So now I'm looking for another palm.  I like the big, robust look of the Bismarckia.  My yard is mostly xerics, so I like things more blue or grey or silver.  Anyway, I went looking, trying to educate myself.  I found a palm that I think is wonderful looking, but I'm not too sure it will do well in SoCal.  The palm is a Copernicia fallaense.  I read it is from Cuba.  I live on a hillside about 10 miles due east of downtown San Diego.  It never goes below 32 here (never).

Is this particular palm too tropical for my environment?

Thanks.

-Ron-

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Ron,

I think Copernicia fallaense would survive for you, but the growth rate is VERY slow.  Jerry Andersen had a nice 5g plant last time I was there so you can at least get one.  I almost bought it but decided not to due to the sharp petiole spines.  But also this is a palm that will probably take 10 years to look like anything more than groundcover.  The same is true with Brahea decumbens.

You should consider a Butia capitata.  They are blue/grey, a nice contrast in form from Bismarkia and produce delicious fruit.  You can also get a large plant (24" box) for under $200.  There are also some Sabal species that have bluish leaves.  Sabal 'riverside' is a pretty impressive palm and is a bait blue/grey.  And then there's Brahea armata of course.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

copernicia prunifera also has a nice blueish color.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

I think that Copernicia baileyana offers a couple more degrees of cold hardiness.  I can't tell the difference from a C. fallense.   No matter what, they are an exercise in patience.  If you like slow, blue-grey, xeri-type stuff, you should give Ravenea xerophilla a try too.  Foxtails can comingle with the desert stuff too.  They have a lot of silver/white on the crownshafts, and you can get them pretty much anywhere in large sizes.  Ron, I think I remember you saying that you live on Dictionary Hill.  For those of you who don't know the area, I believe that this is one of the best inland microclimates.  You get that inland heat but the not the extreme inland lows.  It's sort of like a Sunset Zone 24 with more heat.... or a 23 without the lows.  I like this areas climate.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks guys.  

I don't mind them being small and slow.  I'm just a hop-skip-jump from retirement and the house is paid for, so I won't be moving anytime soon.

I've got to look up these other suggestions now.

-Ron-

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Ron,

Matt's suggestion of Ravenea xerophila is a good one.  Another painfully slow palm but very cool and it should do great in your climate.  Hyphaene are also worth looking at.  I have seedling Hyphaene petersiana and thebaica, and a 1g Ravenea xerophila, send me a PM because I don't think I'll ever plant all of these (my garden is kind of the opposite of yours...mucho agua), so you could probably talk me out of one.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Kevin Weaver of KW Palms in Lake Elsinore has nice-sized Hyphaene coriacea in 5 gallon pots.  They grow very well in his climate during the summer, are set back every winter by his frosts and recover again in the spring.  Since you don't have frosts, you won't have to worry about setbacks.

Kevin also has Copernicia alba and prunifera and a bunch of other species.

I also like Matt's suggestion of Butia capitata (I have three in my garden, all planted from 30" boxes) and silver-green Brahea armata (also three, but planted from 24" boxes).  Other Braheas for a xeriscape are B. aculeata and B. dulcis.

Another recommendation is Nannorrhops ritchiana.  There's one at the Huntington (identified as "N. stockiana") that's silver white.

I'm a very few years from retirement myself, but I like to buy as big a specimen as I can find, since I want to be around to enjoy them as adults.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

i tend to agree with matty b.

b.captitata is a great looking palm & its a fast grower

in our climate.i have 2 that have flowered & set fruit in the first 2 years after being planted & both were in 10 gallon pots.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(MattyB @ Jul. 14 2006,15:31)

I think that Copernicia baileyana offers a couple more degrees of cold hardiness.  I can't tell the difference from a C. fallense.   No matter what, they are an exercise in patience.  If you like slow, blue-grey, xeri-type stuff, you should give Ravenea xerophilla a try too.  Foxtails can comingle with the desert stuff too.  They have a lot of silver/white on the crownshafts, and you can get them pretty much anywhere in large sizes.  Ron, I think I remember you saying that you live on Dictionary Hill.  For those of you who don't know the area, I believe that this is one of the best inland microclimates.  You get that inland heat but the not the extreme inland lows.  It's sort of like a Sunset Zone 24 with more heat.... or a 23 without the lows.  I like this areas climate.

Ron,

I hadn't thought about it when I lived there, but I lived at the base of Dictionary hill on La Presa.  In the 6-7 years I lived there, I saw frost on the ground once.  Probably very good for the xeriscape stuff and the palms mentioned.

Maybe a Latania?

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Not only is Dictionary Hill a hill (duh), but Spring Valley lies below it.  This gives it superior cold drainage.  Gosh I wish I could afford a nice house up there.  It's like a more economical Mt. Helix.  Good view of Downtown and the ocean too.  And if you get that urge for some crack rock you can always run down the hill to La Presa and see some of Bills old friends. :P   Ron, I'm jealous.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Jul. 15 2006,01:13)

Not only is Dictionary Hill a hill (duh), but Spring Valley lies below it.  This gives it superior cold drainage.  Gosh I wish I could afford a nice house up there.  It's like a more economical Mt. Helix.  Good view of Downtown and the ocean too.  And if you get that urge for some crack rock you can always run down the hill to La Presa and see some of Bills old friends. :P   Ron, I'm jealous.

Hey!  I resemble that remark!

I only left to buy my home in Oceanside. When I left in 95, I was paying only $550 a month rent for a 3 bedroom house  w/ a 2 1/2 car garage on the biggest lot on the block.

I do have to say that the view, the neighborhood, and climate can all vary wildly all within a quater mile of the top of "the hill"

PS- for those that don't know, "Dictionary Hill", gots its name from some company prior? to the turn of the century giving away tiny lots with the "dictionary option" of their Encyclopedia set when you bought them.

It also currently has the steepest paved roads in San Diego county!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

dear fouquieria,

Your are very wise to start a opnion poll on palms before

you could buy and plant them in your garden. this is the

safest method to start your collection.

But in this discussion, i hear a lot of new varities. we indians

have never heard off Palms such as the copernicia etc.

if members have pictures of these palms kindly share with us.

so even new members like me who are new to palms & cycas

world could enjoy seeing it rather than mere imagining it as a

beautiful palm tree.

Kindly understand our courisity !

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris (From S.India_Madras)Avg Temp 94 to 104F Always.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Ron, are all those pepper trees on your property?  Ahhh man what a spread!!!  Are you off Helix St.?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Ron...Google up a Brahea Clara image. A very distinctive look, and silvery blue. A nursery here in Fallbrook has 24" boxes for $165...a great deal and instant size for cheap.

My Cop Fallaense died winter of 04/05 in all the rain. I don't think they like a cool wet winter...it's not just a frost thing. I do have a Cop Bailyana in an island surrounded by asphalt(in my driveway) that is doing well, though.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(krisachar @ Jul. 15 2006,02:30)

dear fouquieria,

Your are very wise to start a opnion poll on palms before

you could buy and plant them in your garden. this is the

safest method to start your collection.

But in this discussion, i hear a lot of new varities. we indians

have never heard off Palms such as the copernicia etc.

if members have pictures of these palms kindly share with us.

so even new members like me who are new to palms & cycas

world could enjoy seeing it rather than mere imagining it as a

beautiful palm tree.

Kindly understand our courisity !

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris (From S.India_Madras)Avg Temp 94 to 104F Always.

Kris,

Please see the photos of copernicia included here from davesgarden and appreciate the beauty of this magnificent genus.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Dear Tropico,

You have made my day ! i love you Pal.

the link for 'davegarden' to have a first hand view of those

devine creatures was in deed worth my lives existance.

Meaning_ i have never seen such Fan Palms that even over shadowed my faviouriate palms like Bis Mark,Breha Armeta,

Washy Filifera,Sabal River-side,Joey Palms,trachycarpus,

CIDP & Med Fan Palm.

Now a new addition has been included they are Copernicia_

Baileyana & Hospita. Truely Lovely fan palms,which i have not seen in my life.& are these seeds avaliable at rarepalmseeds (RPS).

I love you guys & i certainly suggest Fouquieria to go for it provided these 2 Copernicia Fellows Suits your Climate.

Tropico you are my buddy !

One man one tree..

Love,

Kris (to all my friends).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Ron:

You certainly are perched precariously on the precipice up there.

Copernicias, lovely as they are, are SLOW here.  That said, try a few, looks like you've got a bit of room to spare.

I concur with Fred Zone 10's suggestions, particularly for the braheas.  

If you don't mind spending the dough, maybe get yourself a nice cycad -- Encephalartos horridus?  That's a pretty blue color, too, and would look great near your nice house, if you've got room for it there.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I really like the Hyphanae idea. H. coricaea can be as blue as Bismarkia.

If you are willing to experiment there are some blue Corypha out there (I think some C. utan) that would really look great if they survived. I only know of one person that has Corypha alive in So. Cal though, although I haven't heard of any failures.

Another great desert palm is trithinax... trithinax campestris is a very blue one.

I'm always up for learning new things!

Kris, you should pay a visit to Palm & Cycad Society Of Austrailia Website, they have pictures of thousands of species of palms and cycads, as well as useful information on each species.  It is very easy to find what you are looking for, because it is indexed by genera then species.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Brahea Clara is a good suggestion, but my favorite Xerophytic palm is Ravenea Xerophylla which would be perfect for you.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

• 3 months later...

How about Sabal uresana, a very nice drought tolerant palm (once established) and most are quite glaucous blue/gray.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

(Fouquieria @ Oct. 21 2006,19:43)

OK, bullheaded me...I went out and got one at JD Andersen's sale last week.  Boy was that place hard to find.

-Ron-

Copernicia.jpg

Ron-

"Got one" what?    You didn't say what.

Is it a C. Fallense?   I picked up a Cop. Baileyana  from there on Thurs., About the same size.

If you don't mind trying slow species, why not try a Jubaea.  More than capable of dealing with the heat and definitely won't be troubled by a frost free climate.  Not many people have sufficient space, but I think one would look nice towering over the hilltop.  In 50 years or so, it could be a nice land mark visible from the ocean.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Try Dypsis decaryii. It has the colour you may like as well.

Here's a couple around the corner from me. They are good priced palms and grow faster than most if not all of the other species mentioned here.

post-51-1161590494_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Neofolis @ Oct. 23 2006,00:24)

If you don't mind trying slow species, why not try a Jubaea.  More than capable of dealing with the heat and definitely won't be troubled by a frost free climate.  Not many people have sufficient space, but I think one would look nice towering over the hilltop.  In 50 years or so, it could be a nice land mark visible from the ocean.

Corey, his house would be a good 25 miles at least from the ocean!  It would have to be a telescope that could spot it!  :D

Dear Wal  :)

those triangle's look very healthy and dam

sexy ! like a peacock dancing in cool evening

welcoming the rain & its Mate.

triangle palm is indeed a good choice to try.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Wal, were those triangles in a fire?  The trunks look burnt to me.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"