IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PRA Edith's Peninsula Palm Paradise

Mauna Kea Cloudforest

Yesterday was a scotching blazing hot Summer day, perfect to go and escape the heat up the Peninsula for a Bay Area style PRA. When we left the Santa Cruz Mountains, it was 98F, but by the time we reached Atherton, it was a pleasant 80F. The whole family came along to indulge in the visual pleasure of Edith's magnificent garden.

She has the biggest fattest most massive sabal ureseana I've ever seen anywhere in California, in fact, it's the biggest sabal I've ever seen in person. This thing is an absolute monster. She tells me she had to remove bricks out of the patio just to make room for the trunk as it grew bigger and bigger. This sabal even dwarfs her large house.

5AD03E34-51A2-4AF6-9B8A-54AB0F15CAEA-139

Of course, one is never enough, she's got another monster uresana starting to get big on the other side of her garden:

4778193D-1B70-4E24-8A31-974BA687A25F-139

Hey dad, look at all these palms!!! That's a trithrinax brasiliensis on the left and a beautiful brahea armata in the back. That brahea is a monster as well.

19DCE90F-3B98-42AF-9437-3EDAF04CA83F-139

The brahea armata up close, one of the most silvery blue armatas I've seen around:

F323DE51-393E-4A17-9002-DBD34F72415C-139

Close up of the Trithrinax brasiliensis

FD252D30-4678-4EF1-9D87-390FE8F4CEC5-139

Those BXPC are simply amazing!!!

918146C0-0BE8-4780-B995-5C70BB9E2564-139

There's two of these beauties, the one on the right is stunted from drought stress, apparently the irrigation system failed without Edith noticing it.

1CF2A792-0FFE-4B9A-A916-D2D0A429DBA3-139

AC80E776-B5A6-428A-A0AA-D546F7C0B538-139

This place could easily be called the Jungle of Doom of the North! I got lost in a sea of palms, palms everywhere, braheas, livistonas, sabals, the whole works!!!

58DEDCCE-1C23-439A-8737-F8426DF6B9E9-139

C9C3FC7E-F2FF-46C4-84E9-39C37E69FD20-139

A0F8832F-5DDA-4927-A0DA-86D67B8A4D0A-139

OK, enough for now, I will post a part II later, it's too nice out not to be gardening. And I need to get my drip irrigation fixed before I get scolded by the PalmTalk Police again.

Some parting shots of brahea nitida, one of the most amazing brahea you can plant!

58D5907F-0FF4-412D-8DF4-592CACB0BEA8-139

the purple petioles on that b. nitida are mesmerizing!

04E367DD-1881-4AC8-9843-B7CF2600884D-139

Great garden! Those sabals are insane! Thanks for posting... Now go fix your damn drip system!!! :P

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Great garden! Those sabals are insane! Thanks for posting... Now go fix your damn drip system!!! :P

Edith has a whole collection of sabals, I'll post mores after I fix my irrigation system.

The whole family came along to indulge in the visual pleasure of Edith's magnificent garden.

Axel you're talking about Edith Bergstrom?

Edited by gyuseppe

GIUSEPPE

The whole family came along to indulge in the visual pleasure of Edith's magnificent garden.

Axel you're talking about Edith Bergstrom?

Yes.

nice garden ! :greenthumb:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I forgot to mention, Edith's garden is in a cold air drainage area, so she gets considerable cold, she has a classic zone 9b garden. She has a large majesty palm that fries on a regular basis. Her p. rupicola was badly damaged this last Winter. Her king palms, on the other hand seem hardier than her p. rupicola.

Great stuff.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Great garden Axel! Great color in that garden, and that is a massive uresana. The palms look like they ate the yard, LOL!

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Edith's garden is located in what's likely the coldest location in the South Bay Area, actually it's on the peninsula but it 's south of SF by about 35 miles. Despite that, her garden is chock full of interesting and colorful palm species, some of which aren't considered cold hardy. Huge boulders everywhere, mysterious paths leading to secret garden spots, and an array of beautiful companion plants makes her garden a treat to visit.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens