IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in Oz

Peter G

Every Winter like this would be :greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb: didn't drop below 15c last night with 86mm of rain falling and still falling, 203mm past 5 days which takes our total to 1944mm which is pretty much our yearly ave and we are only half way there. Sunny days are back 2morow or the next with days forecast of 21c and night mins of 11c, we Love where we live :) Pete

post-5709-0-09653500-1372724567_thumb.jp

post-0-0-83721300-1372724674_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta agree Pete. Pretty much everything including Pinanga's are pushing spears with Chambeyronias opening some red leaves. I think the garden is confused!!!

Yesterday the plane flying some of my colleagues up to work from Perth to Karratha was grounded for a couple of hours due to ice on the wings.

It was -1c at Perth airport.

Nice and warm for mid winter , but damn is it wet !

2 weeks of rain ..has brought ytd total of 2935mm .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Yesterday the plane flying some of my colleagues up to work from Perth to Karratha was grounded for a couple of hours due to ice on the wings.

Woah! We've got cooler weather inbound but not like that. 6-7c they say

Woah! We've got cooler weather inbound but not like that. 6-7c they say

In Secret Harbour, where I live, we also would have been around that 6-7c region. I'm about 70km south of Perth Airport and on the coast. Our highs are a little cooler than Perths highs though, good in Summer, but not in Winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Winter has been great here so far...only 6 nights where the minimum has dropped below 10C at my place....wish it was like that every year! Still another month to go, but only two weeks of the real danger zone. Plenty of rain all winter and warm cloudy nights...the other night I was out at 11:30 and only needed shorts and t-shirt...pretty unheard of for late July. Palms are still growing quite well as a result, although some have yellowed off for the winter. Hopefully we will get a warm, wet spring too!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

3 nights of 7.1-7.9C this past week. It looks like that should be behind us now. I can handle 7. Even the Pritchardia pacificas are not all completely dead yet :)

3 nights of 7.1-7.9C this past week. It looks like that should be behind us now. I can handle 7. Even the Pritchardia pacificas are not all completely dead yet :)

Haha. Sounds lime my p. thurstonii. Hanging in there... The young fellas first year in the ground

My Areca Vestaria is pushing a new spear, under heavy protection though.

How's the Coconut Tyrone?

Been a fairly mild month so far.

After a few cold, miserable days in Melbourne, it is good to get back to this...

Forecast for Saturday

Fine and sunny. Light W to SW winds with E to NE afternoon sea breezes about the bayside.

Precis: Fine, sunny. City: Min 9 Max 26

UV Alert from 9:20 am to 2:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 6 [High]

Sunday Fine, mostly sunny. Min 11 Max 24

Monday Fine, sunny. Warm. Min 12 Max 28

Tuesday Fine, sunny. Warm. Min 14 Max 27

Wednesday Fine, partly cloudy. Min 11 Max 24

Thursday Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 12 Max 23

Friday Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 13 Max 23

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It sounds like winter got skipped altogether. Congratulations!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Come join me in Canberra we still have frost nearly every day and neg 3 this am gotta love canberra

Plantpirate...you need to move to QLD fast!

Daryl

I know what Canberra can be like......spent time there when I was in the Navy........Yes I agree with Daryl, get the heck out of there !!!

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Ah, these winters, man they can be tough.

Sunshine Coast Forecast for Monday 12th August 2013

Fine, mostly sunny. A warm day. Light to moderate north to northwesterly
winds, becoming fresh during the afternoon and evening. Fire Danger: High.

Precis: Fine, mostly sunny. Warm.Max 27

Tuesday = Fine, sunny. Min 14 Max 25

Wednesday = Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 13 Max 26

Thursday = Fine and partly cloudy. Min 14 Max 25

Friday = Fine, partly cloudy. Min 12 Max 23 (Wal says - wo, bit chilly here down to 12)

Saturday = Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 12 Max 24 (Wal says - another 12, ooh, that hurts)

Sunday = Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 14 Max 26

Yeah, we do it tough in winters don't we ? :lol: suckers, come to Sth East Queensland or Northern NSW for that matter..stay near the coast areas and watch those palm trees grow...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Darwin has so far had its coldest August in 71 years, average minimum 16.9C, which is 3.5C below average.