IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

mexico

Tad

walkway at the camp

post-18-1191633797_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

resturaunt at the camp

post-18-1191633859_thumb.jpg

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

front gate at camp with red barrels

post-18-1191634013_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

i put this shot up somwhere else but since its soooo purty I will include it again. eat your hearts out brahea fans

post-18-1191634123_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

funky kami palms

post-18-1191634241_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Tad, cool photos. That last photo in post 45 looks like the infamous split-leaf C. metallica. IMO, a much more striking palm than the common form.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

entrance to nursery

post-18-1191639085_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

split leaf

post-18-1191639141_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

reinhardtia gracillis

post-18-1191639248_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-18-1191639541_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

borassus of some kind, i think

post-18-1191639697_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

menagerie

post-18-1191639821_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

one year your buying seed from someone...ten months later poof vanished gone no clue as to what happened.

this is rural mexico, you have no idea!!!

post-18-1191639942_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

haggling wit the witches over the price of cactus, they had a big santisimo  muerte shrine...creepy stuff

post-18-1191640281_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

braheas, and some swag in my pocket..oops

post-18-1191640357_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

:)

post-18-1191643197_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Dear Tad  :)

lovely stills and my favouriate is the one seen with red cactus in the camp area..

And i like to know is mexico is also a cold country ? since the cactus seeling women folks were wearing sweaters !

since i thought south california,texas,nevada,new mexico,

And mexico country are all warmer regions of north america..

thanks & love,

Kris.

And by the way you told us you will show us stills of crocks & rateller snakes which you saw while camping.any visuals of it possible...

love conquers all..

43278.gif

kris this is in Tx about 30 minutes from my house at the corbett ranch

post-18-1191663148_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Kris, Yes all those areas you mentioned are warm to even hot weather areas but elevation plays an important part in temperatures as well.  And freak cold waves can happen altho they are normally short lived usually.

What's the coldest temps you've ever gotten in your part of India?

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Dear Al  :)

thanks for the information...here in south india the lowest that i have seen till this day will be 78 degrees farenheat during december when i was in my 10th grade..that long back.and my parents used to tell how nice it felt.

but average temperatures here is 82 to 104 farenheat throughout the year and very rarely in hot summers we even experience ice rain when the mercury shoots-up to 108 or 109

degrees farenheat.but its will be a quick spell not lasting more than 3 to 6 minutes last week also we had this rain.thought it was not summer season or rainy season(freek rains this is happening more to often now after the tsunani rains & earth quake in s.e asia.

lots of love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Tad,

Thanks for the tour.  It looks like a great place.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Tad,

Great pictures of a journey Andrea,Dial and myself took a couple of years back. His property was beautiful, and spent many of "interesting" hours on the road with Dial in search of Brahea's, Cycads and so much more. Heading further south from his property, we went through some winding ass roads, maybe 3,000' up and damn scared the freaking s#*t out of us. Dial drove so close to edge of the road, we thought many times we were going to die! Next time, I DRIVE the suburban! Anyways, his nursery is looking great, and wish to return someday. Thanks again.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Tad, thanks for this interesting thread on your trip across the border.  I especially enjoyed these Post numbers:

#29  -  Brahea decumbens

#40  -        "              "         grouping

#44  -  Brahea moorei

Many years ago on a trip to Mexico I drove up to Ciudad Victoria from Guadalajara and saw B. decumbens in several areas - one area was like your post # 40.  Saw another not very tall Brahea (some were multiple trunked) along the highway in the mountain area just south of Cd. Victoria which I was told might be B. berlanierii.  Do you know if that is correct?  

I have two very small plants in the ground of B. moorei which are growing slowly for me.  Hope they will grow and show off like that plant in your Post # 44.  I also have a small B. decumbens which is beginning to show that nice glaucous blue leaf color.  I really like many of the Braheas.  The only downside for them is that they are generally quite slow growers.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

what I know of braheas wouldnt fill a thimble Al!!

I know  moorei, it's an easy one, and I know decumbens, although some would argue what we call decumbens is really a mutant of dulcis?????????? go figure, I am working on a trip the last of this month, and I hope to go down into the state of vera cruz...the only thing hindering me is the political climate of that area, cartel activity is always a concern for me.....I dont care for getting caught in the cross fire. so I prefer to stay out of the hot zones as much as possible, seems like our time in country is always limited by someone elses schedule or prioritys..... so I try to plan ahead as much as possible...which in a country like mexico is sometime planning ahead makes NO difference as to the outcome of the trip.

Abraham Lincoln

• 2 weeks later...

our first stop on our newest adventure in mexico,

The mezcal museum at tieneblo.

post-18-1193091327_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

WHY it's John aka Redlands from the board...., he's not from mexico he's from Homestead Fla. how did he get here????

post-18-1193091403_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

inside is a mock up of the tanks and equipo they use to make mezcal

post-18-1193091509_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

ceramic plates depicting various agaves

post-18-1193091542_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

next set of plates,

post-18-1193091617_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

last set of plates

post-18-1193091652_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the squeezer

post-18-1193091684_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

secondary squeezer

post-18-1193091717_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

I know some mezcals have worms, but I have never heard of mezcals having lizards? this is down in the collection tank underneath the squeezers

post-18-1193091795_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

the cooker, and mr. Crockett

post-18-1193091848_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

homage to the agave

post-18-1193092155_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

sisal twine harvesting

post-18-1193092400_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

cutting the leaves from the agaves

post-18-1193092470_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

these stacks of leaves are sent to a mill in Victoria Tamaulipas where they are crushed for the fiber, the fiber is sent somwhere else to be spun for sisal twine.

these are agave sisalana.

this is the first activity we have noticed in this old field in a long long time!

post-18-1193094925_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

after the harvest

post-18-1193094986_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln