Sign in to follow this  
WestCoastGal

Any info on S minor from Barton Creek Greenbelt?

WestCoastGal

We just purchased a Sabal minor that looks to me much like the one listed as "Barton Creek Greenbelt" in Bob Harms' comparison study of Sabals from the Texas region (the Barton Creek Greenbelt lies south of Austin): http://www.biosci.utexas.edu/prc/DigFlora/Waller/costapalmate.html

I'll post photos of our Sabal later today, but in the meantime I'm curious if anyone has this palm. I'd like more info on it, particularly anything on it's inflorescence and inflorescence height. From what I've been reading the S minor's inflorescence extends above the fronds. The 5 that are on our palm (2 in flower, 3 spent but still with seed) however do not. This is our first sabal so in the learning phase here. Thanks.

WestCoastGal

Here's photos our sabal for comparison. Tried to get a few of the fronds so you could see the costa, hastula, and mid rib, as well as the branching of the inflorescence and a photo of the base.

Notice the obtuse and asymmetrical hastulas from where the leaf segments appear to radiate from beneath.

post-5191-0-65955700-1372624080_thumb.jp post-5191-0-64187500-1372624106_thumb.jp

And photos of the mid rib:

post-5191-0-37399300-1372624216_thumb.jp post-5191-0-56725400-1372624302_thumb.jp

Notice this leaf's coloration (referring to the white film on the leaflets, not the overall picture exposure):

post-5191-0-69001600-1372625387_thumb.jp

There are minimal leaflet filaments (forgot what they are called) but there are some.

WestCoastGal

post-5191-0-57109700-1372625655_thumb.jp

post-5191-0-64673600-1372625673_thumb.jp post-5191-0-60314700-1372625700_thumb.jp

Other basic info for classification: to the top of the fronds -- just under 6 feet; there are 6 fronds with 1 emerging; and a measurement of one of the fronds from costa to tip was 32 inches and about 55 inches wide. The petiole is unarmed. I haven't measured the diameter of the seeds but they are fairly small.

How you would ID this variety of Sabal?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PalmatierMeg
      By PalmatierMeg
      I have two seeding Sabal minors on the edge of my Garden Lot. I grew them from seeds sent to me by a PTer who collected them about 10 years ago from a Sabal in Savannah, GA. He thought they might be a dwarfed variety of Sabal minor but I am not sure of that. Each palm is about 4' wide by 4' tall and is seeding. Is there any interest in these seeds from US PTers? I plan to send them uncleaned. Let me know soon as I plan to cut/compost them if no one wants them.
      Sabal minor Savannah #1

Sabal minor Savannah #2

• Zoltan
      By Zoltan
      I see some people say Dypsis Lucentes usda zone 10 and up.I disasagree with that at least here in Florida.
      In St Augustine by Aligator farm entrance you can see many of them.I talked to the zoo and they told me they planted them maybe 15 yrs ago as 5-7 gallons by now they are tall maybe 12 feet or more.You can see them from A1A. But also you see some in downtown around the belive or not.This is usda zone 9a .But if this is not enough,I live in Jacksonville at oceanway which is east of 95 ,we have on Pulaski rd zip code 32218 by church for minimum 10 yrs  about 10 -12 feet tall. planted right by entrance the wall.  And if this is still not enough at Jacksonville Airport at Hilton has at pool backside of the building w/o any protection beside it planted right by the building.So I think if you place it on sunny side and close to building it can tolarete all the way to Jacksonville. I don’t have any idea about 8b zone like west of Nort Florida or Ga …Also I know a person listed close to Jacksonville airport she planted a Dypsis decaying “ triangle palm “ back in 1990 right by her house.It’s made it eversince and it’s way taller than her house.She protected at beginning heat pad etc .She has some photo at palmtalk . I have 2 of them I never heated them ,but covered however I can’t cover anymore they are out of reach .Over 12 feet or so.I got them from Home Depot 3 or 4 years ago.Even leaves get touched they come back nicely.Mine not planted by house but by fence and it get early sun till late afternoon sun…

• Paradise Found
      By Paradise Found
      I've been thinking of planting one soon.  and like to know if anyone else has any experience with them in the PNW? Good or Bad results. 
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Are there distinguishing characteristics for this Trachy? I’ve read they have thicker trunks and bright yellow tips on their more rigid leaf segments?
    • GregVirginia7
      By GregVirginia7
      Don’t talk much about my Needle palm but it’s really grown into a nice three larger, two smaller clump of trunks...three trunks are about 12” and the other two are smaller but it’s gone from about a 3’ high by 2’ wide in-ground experiment in 2014 to a 5x 5 picture of health today...what a fantastic cold hardy palm. Aside from a bit of protection its first winter, it’s faced every winter on its own. Surprisingly, the main trunk died a couple years after planting but the suckers prospered...
      First winter:

Somewhere in the middle:

To present:

Anyway, sitting at the base of a slight slope, it gets a fair share of runoff and I dug some depressions around it to collect even more water...it’s good for the basjoo, too...I highly recommend Needles but keep the needles in mind where pets and children are concerned...they’re vicious...but in the right zone and situated in the right place, a reliable and dependable choice for cold hardy palm growers.