IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Large Palms Transplanted.....the Beach Party Continues

Alicehunter2000

Here is a picture of the big Sabal.........now I am wondering if it is causiarum or dominguensis based on Kostas thread. It has a bluish tint and papery ligules at the base of the fronds. attachicon.gifphoto (25).JPG

Wow........

Fertilizing soon.

The Phoenix is a Sylvestris/Canary hybrid. A really good one....shows strong characteristics of both.

The Bizzy was placed very carefully in the middle, from left to right and closer to the front retaining wall............but to answer your question....it might be a little tight until it gets over the roofline....lol.

Hate to post without a pic........here is a nightime shot of the Dypsis cabadae....it is sporting a new white crownshaft and inflorescence. Been working on the other plants in the poolside planters.

post-97-0-17819300-1382321981_thumb.jpg

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Does that result in a slower growing, more robust looking sylvester? I went with non hybrid sylvester for the trunk color, trunk diameter, and speed of growth.

I am already in over my head with the limited space that I have...

Seems to grow pretty fast. Definitely a bigger, more robust trunk, leaf form is right in between the two. I love strait sylvestris and originally planned on putting one in that spot. However, the grower gave me a deal I couldn't refuse on this particular palm. Since he specializes in P. sylvestris, he probably wanted to get it out of his fields so as to not cross pollinate with his more pure stock.

I got a small sylvestris that was grown from my old house that will hopefully look more strait sylvestris. The original plant was from Albert Livingston's farm down in Homestead. The mama plant was really nice.

Where did you find the Sylvestris/Canary hybrid?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Do you plan on heating the pool to keep the D. cabadae alive? It seems a tad cold sensitive for your area without protection.

Also, you should think about getting a B. alfredii to test out in your area eventually! If you put it in the right microclimate it might make it, especially considering your close proximity to the gulf.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Where did you find the Sylvestris/Canary hybrid?

It took some looking around and asking questions to zero in on this particular palm. Fish Branch had it! Who know what the DNA in that palm could tell us?

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

I have been looking for a while now to find a robellini x anything hardier cross. robellini x cidp cross supposedly out there readily, but I'll be darned if I can find one.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I have been looking for a while now to find a robellini x anything hardier cross. robellini x cidp cross supposedly out there readily, but I'll be darned if I can find one.

I know.there are some p. Robellini x reclinata crosses out there.

I plan on heating the pool in the future. Hoping we have another winter like last year. It didn't even freeze.I here is a pic of a Bella Sombra tree that I got from Jerry@treezoo a few years ago. It languished in a pot for a long time but now it has found a home that it likes.....lots of new growth.post-97-0-47472900-1382485124_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the turned image....I finally changed my flip phone for a Samsung Galaxy S3 and not sure how to take the pics to come out vertical. Maybe just need to take pics with phone horizontal....will play with it.

Anyways, here is the same picture for those who don't want to bend their necks. The palm behind it is an A. engleri that I grew from seed. There is also a short fat cultivar of R. excelsa that I got from one of Ken's plants. Maybe he can chime in as to where it came from originally.

post-97-0-48617800-1382543429_thumb.jpg

This is a R. humilis dwarf form that I bought for the IPS fundraiser. Ken has more information on where it came from.

post-97-0-52958500-1382544105_thumb.jpg

This is a D. edule green form that my wife bought for me.

post-97-0-68578500-1382544114_thumb.jpg

This is a Mark Heath hybrid......but it is not with S. romanzoffiana......I can't remember which Syagrus...Mark?

post-97-0-03990500-1382544122_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here is Dioon spinulosum that was struggling in its pot in deep shade. You can see where the latest flush was really elongated.

post-97-0-92257900-1382578033_thumb.jpg

Planted below the two tall Washintonia robusta's is a Sabal urseana, along with a couple of Zamia furfuracea's, a Tipuanu tipu? and a small C. elegens? in a pot.

post-97-0-00082700-1382578422_thumb.jpg

Ken was pretty sure that the S. urseana was indeed a S. urseana but it is not blue in color. However it does show some white coloration on the petioles. Anything else I can look for to confirm the species?

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Thanks for asking....been going to do an update but was waiting till August for maximum effect. Things are growing like crazy and the jungle is so thick it's hard to get pictures. I walked to the next lot and snapped this picture this morning but I think I will have to get on the roof for overall photo's. Will try to take more photos later.

2016-07-06 09.22.16.jpg

• Upvote 8

Just beautiful!:greenthumb:

Nice colors and variation of species - so much to look at and to discover!

best regards

Dear David,

Nice visuals and hope all of those palms grow into fine looking mature ones.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

On 6/30/2013, 3:09:14, Alicehunter2000 said:

Here is a picture of the big Sabal.........now I am wondering if it is causiarum or dominguensis based on Kostas thread. It has a bluish tint and papery ligules at the base of the fronds.

post-97-0-12937100-1372622926_thumb.jpg

Awesome palm.

Thanks Keith. ..I'll try and get an updated pic. Here's my Bizzy from front porch angle....I love this palm...the neighbors all comment on it.

2016-07-07 19.39.23.jpg

• Upvote 7

Here are some pics of the S. causiarum and L. nitida. ..difficult to get picture of the entire palms so just pieces and parts. It took 2 years for the causiarum to recover from the brutal polar vortex and great ice storm of Jan. 2014.

577fafd342a26_2016-07-0808.40.17.thumb.j

2016-07-08 08.41.28.jpg

2016-07-08 08.42.38.jpg

2016-07-08 08.43.08.jpg

• Upvote 2

Woops stuck nitida crown pic with those .... here's a few more... first is causiarum crown and then nitida trunk.

2016-07-08 08.40.49.jpg

2016-07-08 08.41.59.jpg

• Upvote 4

Here's the L. saribus this morning. It made a great recovery from 2014 freezes. Dang grasshoppers like it too. It's flowering...not sure if any seeds will develop though. 

2016-07-10 11.07.06.jpg

• Upvote 1

A. wrightii was burned to the ground by 2014 freeze....it was down but not out. It's got 7 heads that I keep with the tallest only about 18 inches. It is slow and steady. I really miss the tall trunks from the pre-damaged plant.

2016-07-10 11.27.17.jpg

• Upvote 1

So this morning I thought I would get a picture of the smaller causiarum that I got from Ken. It has been slow to recover but it's looking like it's getting established now.

The second pic is one of Eric's mules. The large queen palm from Fishbranch was killed outright by 2014 and I replaced it with something that will be more hardy. It's growing very quickly.

2016-07-12 07.57.26.jpg

2016-07-12 07.58.05.jpg

• Upvote 4

I vaguely recall planting pics of that smaller mule - it seems like it is growing fast!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

David,

Thank you for the follow up pictures!

Very nice looking specimen - beautiful green!

best regards

How much hardiness did the Sabal causiarums show when the A. wrightii and queen were damaged?

Great pics. I love the jungle with white sand. The best palm collection in the area I know of too.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

Thanks all...yes this area is perfect for mules....they do really really well as do Butia. 

Lucas, the causiarum's both had 100% fronds burned .... but all the petioles and midrib remained green. They looked like crap for two years. I am waiting to see how a normal winter effects them.

Now for some pictures from this morning. These 3 decora pics had to be taken from windows and from screened courtyard. I have to say that I thought I would like these palms more. One of them struggles....can't figure out what the problem is with it. The other 2 look pretty good but still not my favorite palms.

2016-07-13 07.43.59.jpg

2016-07-13 07.43.34.jpg

2016-07-13 07.43.10.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'm amazed at how healthy and green many of your palms are. Much more than me on the mainland, I know how poor the soil is out there near the beach. If it weren't for cared for and watered yards in residences, many plants would go downhill fast. I've seen multiple lots near the ocean where there was a pindo, phoenix, or W. robusta remaining in vacant lots in un-irrigated bare sand conditions. They just pencil point severely and wither away. Usually having grass or some good mulch coupled with irrigation seems to keep them safe from what I call "sandhill syndrome." Although I know you've mentioned how you don't have grass at your place. I'm guessing you have a good watering system, some mulch, and/or fertilization for these palms?

My watering system for the first two years was (see the first picture)

After 2 years of spending about 1-2 hours handwatering I got smart and started using this (see second picture)

I am a very fast learner.

2016-07-14 18.45.40.jpg

2016-07-14 18.46.05.jpg

But to be honest... I had something else in mind when I first started landscaping....this is what happens to a cast iron well pump if you don't drain it or run the water quickly enough during a Polar Vortex. 

A brand new irrigation pump ruined within the first year. Between losing some valuable large palms and the heart of what was going to be my irrigation system....I just put things on hold until I got the money to do it right.

The land clearing contractor did put down a 2-3 foot layer off mulch during the preparation of the yard. (Not cheap)This has probably helped considerably to get things established. 

2016-07-14 19.27.54.jpg

Nice. I applaud you for all that hand-watering. I've been doing a lot of that lately, and it was a pain in this near 100 deg heat for the past month: but thankfully it looks like we're back in somewhat of a more rainy pattern.

And wow, 2-3 ft of mulch. I guess that helps make the difference. I don't think many of the palms in my yard would be as healthy if it weren't for the mulching.

Here is the big sylvestris/canary hybrid. ...it lost aboUT 80% of its crown in 2014 but as you can see its back to full glory. 

The big mule never showed much damage from the brutal cold....a testament to their hardiness. 

2016-07-14 18.46.57.jpg

2016-07-14 18.47.17.jpg

• Upvote 2

18 1/2 hours below freezing......... then 2 hours barely above freezing.......... then 16 1/2 hours back below freezing.

Lowest temperature recorded during the event was19.7 F. or - 6.83 C.

A couple of weeks after that we had the great ice storm. Hwy 10 was closed for 2 days.....in Florida! Due to frozen precip. ..... the ultimate lows during ice storm was 24 degrees I thinK ....but it lasted for 2 days....icicles were hanging off all my trees......for 2 days!

So....it was a bad winter for braND new unaclimated palms.

Oh...almost forgot...

The Polar Vortex was accompanied by 25mph winds

Replaced one of the C. alba with this Bismarkia. It was grown from seed.

2016-07-14 18.46.35.jpg

• Upvote 2

David, 

As a true South Floridian, I applaud your efforts here! Where exactly are you? When I was at FSU I always took notice of what palms would survive in what I consider the harshest extremes in the state. One winter there it snowed, the following summer it hit 103. Pindo, Sabals, and a few Phoenix is about it. I watched ONE Washy about 35' tall die in 22F. 

Are you on a barrier island? If ever down this way, contact me....

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!