IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Large and nice winter protections pictures needed

zootropical

Dear all,

I am working on a article project about exotic plants and palms protections from cold during winter. This article will be publish in october 2013 in Plantaexotica. Any pictures with some details (location, lowest temperatures, sp. protected ...) are welcome. Pictures may be free of copyright. But I will write the name of the photograph.

I have already two papers from french growers but I would like to present US and Canadian growers to.

You can answer here or contact me by email at jmdupuyoo(at)yahoo.fr

Thank you.

Jean-Michel

Thank you. That's a great thread.

Does somebody use such protection for Archontophoenix, Howea,... or other subtropical sp. ?

Thank you.

Jean-Michel

Thank you very much. Coconut in this area is amazing. I hope the author of this post will reply to my request.

All the best.

Jean-Michel

Some one you might want to contact is CoconutMike in Montreal, Canada. You can fine him on Youtube and I think he has a website.

Good Luck to you.

Thank you very much. Yes I already contacted him. I will try again for sure.

I grow Phoenix canariensis and Washingtonia robusta in southwest Netherlands. If you are interested I can add some pictures or send them to you.

They have always got protection since they have been planted to keep the stuff dry. Minimum temperatures in that period not much below -3 and -6 as coldest. The last few winters has been much colder in whole europe so also here. Have seen temperatures from -8/-10 a couple times and one night -13C. Still using the same form of protection as I always did, but needed a heater at the coldest nights. I really hope that the milder winters returns :)

Southwest

Yes you can send me pictures. My email is jmdupuyoo(at)yahoo.fr

Hope the coldest winters are just part of a cycle... Difficult to find informations about this.

Sincerely.