IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HEAT WARNING......

trioderob

So which is better for palms? Night time temps 62F/80% humidity of 80F/30% humidity?

Great question Axel, I'm at 68 and 83% and its 11pm. Would love to know what's better for night temps.
Wait. Wait...you ready? I have the answer. The answer is...it depends. :)

In anticipation of the hotter weather we deep watered our palms on Wednesday thinking like many of you to get them some water early.

I wasn't sure about doing this now with the anticipated temps what they were today, but we had a scheduled palm delivery and install early this a.m. before it got hot. Holes were dug a few days ago when we actually had all those clouds and some drizzle.

I just finished up with deep watering of the new guys for the day....all boxed, more mature palms so I hope they will be happy with the water and heat and come thru the transplant fine. Added a sago, mule, S minor and a quirky older mule that I fell in love with the minute I saw it. I'll post photos later.

WestCoastGal, ooh how I want to see your quirky older mule!

Good luck and best wishes for everyone during the heat-warning :greenthumb::wub:

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

21 april this year my province reach 111

Really? In Thailand? With that humidity? WOW ,That's deadly! 111f with 50-80 percent humidity over there would be equal to 150f

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Cancel that beach low temp report I made earlier. The forecast for the Santa Cruz mountains was bumped to 100-110F and Santa Cruz itself has been bumped to 92F. It's 66F at sunrise here in what once sorta felt like a Cloudforest but now feels more like the Sahara desert. I think I am going to tie up my kentia fronds. I usually loose plants in these types of heatwaves. I couldn't have picked a better year to plant bismarckia, that's for sure. The Kentias maybe not so good this year.

Anyone willing to become KFC is welcome to come and roast on our beaches.

I don't think it'll be too bad today, sat. It feels too humid to get extreme. It's gonna feel hot though, that's for sure, but the plants will be fine

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I don't think it'll be too bad today, sat. It feels too humid to get extreme. It's gonna feel hot though, that's for sure, but the plants will be fine

i agree. its humid here and i have cloud cover. feels kinda tropical. i dig it!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

i agree. its humid here and i have cloud cover. feels kinda tropical. i dig it!

Same thing here it was cloudy this morning at 8am now it totally sunny at 9:30am and 76F… humidity 71% and something I’ve never seen during a heatwave…it rain last night a little. Might be cooler today but back into the mid 90’s on Monday the average hight this time of year is 73F. LOL!

SANTEE is 83F at 9:30 am

it will not be a cool day

yup. its 83 at 10:10am i bet it wont get over 95f here. weather.com shows a high of 90f in santee. clouds are keeping the heat down i guess. i do have a prestoea that totally burned up this week though. its the only palm that shows damage

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Prestoea? Burned? What you wanna do is get some old pieces of mail, and start looking all over them until you find where it says "Santee". Just keep doing that and see if it solves your problem.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

SANTEE is 83F at 9:30 am

yup. its 83 at 10:10am i bet it wont get over 95f here. weather.com shows a high of 90f in santee. clouds are keeping the heat down i guess. i do have a prestoea that totally burned up this week though. its the only palm that shows damage

Now where the heck are you getting Cloud cover from? I looked at the LA Sat photo, there's no clouds in sight anywhere except the development of a healthy marine layer over the ocean. Whatever it is you are using to get Cloud cover, please share with the rest of us.

Steve, is your copernicia baileyana in full sun? I bought a 5 gallon out of JD Andersen's greenhouse a month ago and I realized this Morning that I've left it sitting out in full blazing sun in the backyard, the pot has been getting baked, and the thing is putting out another frond with not a trace of burn on any of the older fronds. This looks like a tough plant to me. If it can take that much hot dry sun, it should do fine with Winter frost.

I've also been happily surprised with how resilient some dypsis species are even when going from shade to full sun. I put ouf a dypsis utilis and it's sailed through full sun without any protection whatsoever. I have some prestoea var. Montana, not the more tender one, but they're under thick canopy because I don't think they would handle the sun out in the open. I am surprised you got that growing in the open in Santee.

Prestoea? Burned? What you wanna do is get some old pieces of mail, and start looking all over them until you find where it says "Santee". Just keep doing that and see if it solves your problem.

:hmm: haha....i dont get it?

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Axel im not even close to LA. im in east county san diego. my copernicia b is in full sun and coming out of the shock of trasplanting. my prestoea is under 50%shade cloth and looks like crap. heres a pic of outside right now. high clouds with heavier clouds building.

post-5835-0-22189100-1372529153_thumb.jp

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Axel im not even close to LA. im in east county san diego. my copernicia b is in full sun and coming out of the shock of trasplanting. my prestoea is under 50%shade cloth and looks like crap. heres a pic of outside right now. high clouds with heavier clouds building.

Sorry, mis-communication - LA to us up North is everything south of Santa Barbara and North of the Mexican border. :)

Is your prestoea a var. montana or the red crownshaft lowland type?

Sorry, mis-communication - LA to us up North is everything south of Santa Barbara and North of the Mexican border. :)

Is your prestoea a var. montana or the red crownshaft lowland type?

its the var. montana. it was green one day the fried the next.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

SANTEE is 83F at 9:30

Thanks for the update,dewd.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

It was 98 F in Guada Habra yesterday. Refried brains, anyone?

It's supposed to hit 100 F today.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

High of 90 f so far because the breeze is breezing.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

101 .3F is currently the official temp. reading here in Los Altos. That's WAY high for this part of the Bay Area. Humidity is currently 30% at 3 PM. Luckily most of my garden is shaded by larger palms and other trees, I put an umbrella over my largest Chambeyronia (12 feet tall to highest frond) since it's in afternoon full sun and just opening a big new leaf of which it's lucky to get two a year. Otherwise, I'm watering the heck out of everything.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

106f at 4pm in moooodesto.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

104F here. I remember a few years ago we reached 113F and I really hope we don't get that hot again, certainly not looking to break any records here.

Jim in Los Altos, wow that is really hot for you guys. Is that a record for you? Good luck with some of your more tender stuff.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Classic case of foot in mouth. Ended up hitting 106f just as Jastin,fire palm,and hammer showed up at my place. Think I lost 5 pounds just from sweating. Good call Rob! I was wrong.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

My flame thrower fried yesterday :-( temp was @102. Hope it makes it back.

Escondido: the Ideal place to grow palms

Could it be? I'll try.

101 .3F is currently the official temp. reading here in Los Altos. That's WAY high for this part of the Bay Area. Humidity is currently 30% at 3 PM. Luckily most of my garden is shaded by larger palms and other trees, I put an umbrella over my largest Chambeyronia (12 feet tall to highest frond) since it's in afternoon full sun and just opening a big new leaf of which it's lucky to get two a year. Otherwise, I'm watering the heck out of everything.

That's rather excessive! At least your bismarckia will silver up nicely.

Classic case of foot in mouth. Ended up hitting 106f just as Jastin,fire palm,and hammer showed up at my place. Think I lost 5 pounds just from sweating. Good call Rob! I was wrong.

at around 3:00 I was outside in la mesa and started to feel real bad-had to stop what I was doing and just chill out at a starbucks and have ice coffee and water.

Weighed myself this morning before working in yard. End of day I was 5 pounds lighter from water loss.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I'm usually a beast in the yard with incredible stamina but I too found myself feeling a little woogly. Only 90 here but humidity was nasty, like 36%, I'm not joking.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Modesto temps forecast the whole next week 102f- 111f , lows mid 70's to mid 80's.

My ac hasn't shut off today.

My palms don't seem to mind the heat.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

105 here in Cambrian Park, as well as down the road in Almaden. Another weather station about 4 miles to the east broke 110. Some extra humidity in the air today as well. Latest discusion from the weather serviceis suggesting the possibility of some monsoonal stuff creeping up into the area by monday.

I worked at 8AM, then again from 7PM until it got dark. Still 90F and humid as hell.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Just got back from a Starbuck's iced coffee. Think Trioderob planted the idea. Still pretty warm here and feels like daytime but it is cooling off. Channel 2 said lows of mid-60s tonight by 6am (sounds nice) but no daytime temperature relief until Thursday now. And relief is in the 90s. It's going to be a long week....

Silas, nice to see another SF Bay person posting. You have some nice palmy neighborhoods your way.

I had the pleasure of enjoying some steamy San Diego weather today.

My high temp today was supposedly 90°f according to my thermometer. I don't buy it.

Awesome night time temp. 76°f at 10:30pm. RH is over 80%. Feels like a night in the South Pacific.

it 's so cool in Swiss mountains....we look forward enjoying some summer!

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Business as usual here, 57F this Morning with 96% humidity. Was in the upper 80's yesterday with humidity levels in the 40-50% range although we topped out at 91F briefly. Seemed like there was a pretty healthy ocean breeze. It was warm but far from a real heat wave. Santa Cruz which is closer to the ocean than my place stayed in the 70's. if you didnt like the weather you could almost just walk to warmer or colder weather. Just one mile further inland it was in the triple digits. Looks like it will be even cooler today.

Good morning heat lovers going to start in the 90’s the next few days here, which is pretty warm for us, but the good news is the average high just went up today to 74F It goes up 1 degree every five days this month. And then down 1 degree every two weeks in August… Currently 70F 86% humidity. AC is already on and the cats love it. Yesterday was 88F and humid.

One of my little Fuzz buttons girls. Click photo to watch.

th_MOV00097_zps432a0407.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Today was MUCH cooler with a high only in the mid 80s but humidity is way up. Tomorrow's forecast, though, is much hotter with high 90s and that continuing through midweek. I've watered heavily and these higher humidity readings have helped my sensitive palms avoid damage. At least my three year old Woyetia has finally gone from yellowish to green and my big Bismarkia opened a new leaf and is opening a second. Heat can be good.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

A little while ago my husband just mounted one of our radio controlled weather sensors to a shady location at our pergola and is reading 97F with 16% humidity. Just went to 98F and 13%. Now 99F, 100F and 12%, 101F, 10%. Really? That's awfully low. now 102 and 9. It's probably still adjusting to the location. Wonder how accurate this Radio Shack station is? We had a breeze while we were watering the palms earlier today and it felt like a much nicer day than yesterday. Now I'm not so sure.

Closest Wunderground station is reading 97F and 23%. Hmmm. We're still climbing and dropping, 103/7. Is this possible?