IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HEAT WARNING......

trioderob

took these images today - it tells the whole story for the folks not out West

9177674931_78f1d88e15_b.jpg

9177753857_9d202d51db_b.jpg

9177768315_efaf00dca4_b.jpg

a TRIODEROB PRODUCTION - "All rights reserved"

Edited by trioderob

Nice shots rob!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Just looked at the latest forecast discussion from the National Weather service. Things are about to get worse, the airmass is supposed to warm up some more and marine influence is suppose to diminish over the next two days. They're going to bump the forecast temps by several degrees for tomorrow and especially Tuesday, which could prove the worst of the heat wave. It will get very very hot. True for both Southern and Central Calif all the way to the Bay Area. The 4 corner high is intensifying and there is no movement predicted for the rest of the week.

Time to water some more.

Just looked at the latest forecast discussion from the National Weather service. Things are about to get worse, the airmass is supposed to warm up some more and marine influence is suppose to diminish over the next two days. They're going to bump the forecast temps by several degrees for tomorrow and especially Tuesday, which could prove the worst of the heat wave. It will get very very hot. True for both Southern and Central Calif all the way to the Bay Area. The 4 corner high is intensifying and there is no movement predicted for the rest of the week.

Time to water some more.

Water, water, water, and do it again.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Doesn't say it'll be too bad down here.

Mon 86

Tue 84

Wed 79

Thur 78

Fri 76

The Socal National Weather service claims the Catalina Eddy spun up, meaning it's going to swing the marine layer into the valleys. It was there yesterday, however, I don't see any Catalina eddy on the Sat this Morning. The Monterey office has forecast a serious compression of the marine layer and a heating of the upper atmosphere for today. My place is only at 550 feet elevation and it looks like we're once again above the marine layer.

At least for Central California, the worst day will be Tuesday, current forecast for San Jose is 102F. But since the high is centered over the four corners, I have a hard time imagining the same wouldn't hold for Socal.

took these images today - it tells the whole story for the folks not out West

9177674931_78f1d88e15_b.jpg

9177753857_9d202d51db_b.jpg

9177768315_efaf00dca4_b.jpg

a TRIODEROB PRODUCTION - "All rights reserved"

Is that mission beach or Ocean Beach? Killer photography!

Yesterday cooled off in the afternoon.

Only up to 85. Bearable.

Nice pictures, Trioderob!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Looks like the Monterey Forecast office totally mis-judged this one, and the LA office was right. Cooling down significantly, not a trace of a heatwave left here. It's back to normal kentia growing weather and there's a thick blanket of fog over the ocean.

I am going to plant a few more things here.

The newer fronds of my pair of kentias look pretty good still, without any real burn except one leaf has a quarter sized discoloration. Theyre both sitting in full sun from sunrise until sundown with absolutely no shade or near anything that would provide any shade.

Edited by KennyRE317

Nice photos but very small palms!

Why don't you plant instant coconut trees on these beaches?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Sacramento will be 115 on Tuesday

I hope you're wrong . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

So far, hot too hot, but muggy as Times Square before it got Disney-fied. Even thinking about exertion makes me sweat like a melting ice cream cone.

Sacramento will be 115 on Tuesday

Don't you get near my palms with that avatar of yours.

Stevetoad....is that you in picture #2 on roller blades? Palm planting talent, beach entertainment talent..man with many skills

DoomsDave....you're worried about 115 in Sacramento...the average politician has an IQ of par golf...no brain to fry there.

Just trying to make it pass this weather with my 3rd watering today at 3 pm...On the patio and flagstone sidewalk:

post-6612-0-70190200-1372715511_thumb.jp

post-6612-0-19545600-1372715526_thumb.jp

Survived Feb. 9, 1971 & Jan. 17, 1994 earthquakes   Before Palms, there was a special airplane

619382403_F-117landingsmallest.jpg.0441eed7518a280494a59fcdaf23756d.jpg

this is how I spent my day .... the things I can do with a shovel

nice layer of compost on top

Fb8iH7cl.jpg

turned over once with a shovel ... you can see the horrible clay I have to work with. this is only the first of 4 times i'll be turning it over, the 2nd time will be with newspaper and gypsum added then i'll wait a week giving it a lot of water and i'll turn it over at least one more time with more stuff added to the clay before I regrade and pound it.

hnlDvYAl.jpg

92F yesterday, cooler today 89F but with high humidity and 10% precipitation in the forcast it feels like 95F.

State high today 106F. A gradual cooling trend will continue for the rest of the week. Next warm up starts next week.

currently 111 in Scottsdale but it only feels like 107 :) Had a high of 122 on Sunday afternoon coming down the mountain from Pine, AZ (high 98, low 58) I love the Sonoran Desert! The only place in the world you can have 50's and 120's within an hour and a half drive. Ok Cali, I know

currently 111 in Scottsdale but it only feels like 107 :) Had a high of 122 on Sunday afternoon coming down the mountain from Pine, AZ (high 98, low 58) I love the Sonoran Desert! The only place in the world you can have 50's and 120's within an hour and a half drive. Ok Cali, I know

Back in my high school days I remember ditching school to go snowboarding in the morning then get to the beach by mid afternoon for bbq and bonfire... Thatwwas the life, mountains to the beach in 45min

WOW That's hot... The max-min thermometer at my mom's in south Scottsdale only read a max of 115F during this whole heat wave....

I did not protected any of my palms or bananas plants that were in pots.... I did move some of my temperate climate plants I brought back from Nebraska last fall... I did leave a few oaks I brought back and they did not burn at all in full sun :) I will be planting them in Parks soon!!!

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Back in my high school days I remember ditching school to go snowboarding in the morning then get to the beach by mid afternoon for bbq and bonfire... Thatwwas the life, mountains to the beach in 45min

Oh yes, I used to hit Mt Baldy for some great Morning skiing and go surf Topanga in the afternoon. That's one of the fringe benefits of living in LA. And the views of the snow capped mountains as a backdrop to a palm landscape is just phenomenal.

Now in terms of temperature gradients, Yesterday I had 102F and 58F within a 10 minute drive in either direction, try beating that!

So easy to burn your lips drinking coffee in this weather. Watch out folks. :interesting:

WOW That's hot... The max-min thermometer at my mom's in south Scottsdale only read a max of 115F during this whole heat wave....

I did not protected any of my palms or bananas plants that were in pots.... I did move some of my temperate climate plants I brought back from Nebraska last fall... I did leave a few oaks I brought back and they did not burn at all in full sun :) I will be planting them in Parks soon!!!

Chris, now I'm curious. What did you find in this wasteland that you thought would be good to take back to Phoenix?

-Erik

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

Oh come guys here is my sun set readings here in modesto.

Makes Hawaii look dry and cool.

post-116-0-19104900-1372909110_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Oh come guys here is my sun set readings here in modesto.

Makes Hawaii look dry and cool.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here you just pick the temp you want and walk or drive a little.

1044A708-0A8E-4238-B2A5-D69FCF84EE52-139