IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Glowing" down low Dictyocaryum :)

Pedro 65

Have to share these fresh pics taken on this rainy day today of 1 of our 30 month old Dictyocaryums, its "Glowing" :) Pete

post-5709-0-81048800-1372311810_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-86138600-1372311843_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Oh yeah, that's looking sweet. Glad to see your babies powering on.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Those are gorgeous!

I had as of last April, only 2 from several planted 4/11 and 1 from 6/12 remaining alive. The photos are from a year ago.

I hope they can hang on until I move there and can take better care of them. New photos coming after our August visit...

post-4111-0-26503300-1372332081_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-43161200-1372332099_thumb.jp

post-4111-0-88857000-1372332118_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Pete, the color on the crownshaft starts to show very early! Plus love the silver on the under-side of the leaflets I can't wait till the ranch in Ecuador is overflowing with these.

Jake

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Tim, its trying hard to catch up with yours :)

Cindy, the pics you posted a year or so ago where looking very healthy, has it been drier than usual in PR? All the best with the rest.

Jake, with all your Ceroxylons, Geonomas, Prestoeas and Socrateas you have on your ranch Dictyocaryums will certainly thrive, and while RPS had an arrival of new fresh seed land in March, get some more seed indeed and plant up "Big" on your ranch :)

Heres a pic from the other side of the palm, and yes I do enjoy watching it grow. Pete :)

post-5709-0-25890400-1372369091_thumb.jp

Ever since Pedro mentioned this palm as an alternative to what's it's name (stilted beauty) on the other thread Im lusting after it. What makes NSW so good for it? I have humidity I have mist I have rain and heat but I dont have cool all year will it also thrive? I love the crown shaft on this thing its hauntingly lovely.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Ever since Pedro mentioned this palm as an alternative to what's it's name (stilted beauty) on the other thread Im lusting after it. What makes NSW so good for it? I have humidity I have mist I have rain and heat but I dont have cool all year will it also thrive? I love the crown shaft on this thing its hauntingly lovely.

Cedric, we don't have cool "all year", I must say though unless you live on the Big Island , Dictyocaryum is not a palm you can just plant and watch grow, the conditions "have to be right", this wouldn't survive just anywhere here on our property thats for sure, Ive found what conditions it enjoys here and plan to plant "plenty more". Cedric, if you really want to grow Dictyocaryum, buy a "heap" of seed and do your own trial and errors and hopefully find "the spot" , I did make a thread called Simple Success for Dictyocaryum have a read if you havnt.

Im re posting these pics again Cedric , as Ive "babied" these palms to be at the stage they are now, they havnt done it alone and I very much look fwd to each further progress, buy a heap of seed and "good luck" Pete :)

post-0-0-52554600-1372378707_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-62085700-1372378762_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-24887900-1372378814_thumb.jpg

Ah thanks Pete I will read the thread. I was under the impression from reading on this palm that it was the coolish misty weather they only thrived in, maybe some altitude so was wondering what your local climate was like where you are.

We are hot in summers but humidity is no problem almost all year. We are wet and windy too almost everywhere, comes and goes.

Are they fast growing if they like their spot? Seed sounds a good idea plant em all over the place see what takes. I do this with most things anyway no eggs in one basket policy. Oenocarpus bacaba is doing well for example here where I thought our winters were a bit cool but only in certain areas, some are not so happy but all are alive and growing. I have to say though I like a plant that positively thrives rather than ifs and maybes, except if as in the case of O. bacaba I can reckon that it will be thriving once its put on a bit of size.

Cerdic

Ah thanks Pete I will read the thread. I was under the impression from reading on this palm that it was the coolish misty weather they only thrived in, maybe some altitude so was wondering what your local climate was like where you are.

We are hot in summers but humidity is no problem almost all year. We are wet and windy too almost everywhere, comes and goes.

Are they fast growing if they like their spot? Seed sounds a good idea plant em all over the place see what takes. I do this with most things anyway no eggs in one basket policy. Oenocarpus bacaba is doing well for example here where I thought our winters were a bit cool but only in certain areas, some are not so happy but all are alive and growing. I have to say though I like a plant that positively thrives rather than ifs and maybes, except if as in the case of O. bacaba I can reckon that it will be thriving once its put on a bit of size.

Your welcome Cedric, far Nth NSW is a high rainfall area and many locations in the Mt Warning Caldera receive 2000 mm Plus a year, we have had just under that already this year.

Our Summers are usually Wet and mild with high humidity ,temps mainly between 26 and 32c and most night around 18c. Winters can get as low as 3c with days in the high teens but so far this year most nights are above 10c and days of 18 to 20c . Thats a quick climate summary of where we live.

Our pictured Dictyocaryums are in very good deep red soil with lots of decomposing wood, receive rainwater when it doesn't rain , are well fed, are protected from winds , get good filtered sun protected by 50% shade cloth.

Seed...I place Dictyocaryum seed a good 1" deep in a Large( 400mm) pot of Coarse sand and have great success, I like coarse sand as it doesn't get "too wet" or "too dry" 1" below the surface especially when in such a large pot. Germination starts within 10 weeks, some earlier and some much later. ALL our Dictyocaryum seed from RPS has been " Superb", hope this "Blah" helps Cedric, all the best with whatever course you take. Pete :)

Oh you see there is that daily tempreture variation thing that seems to make a marked difference for some palms.

Our night temps are the same as our day temps almost all year hot or cool but never the two toghether. We get true tropics all summer night and day of temps around 30-36%C, in winter its more or less 10-25%C all winter.

I think Dictyocaryum wouldn't take our full on tropical summers quite honestly even though we are in the middle of the country parks forest where it's a few degrees cooler. Wea are steamy hot ferny mossy heaven. If we were higher up the mountain it would probaly be very easy. We use mountain stream water that becomes spring water in the dryer season its always nice and cold as a human drench (:

Only a gardner would say something like this but yes J'adore les coarse sand! Would you believe you just cannot buy it here in Hong Kong none at all. They only sell very fine biulders sand which is useless for most horticultural applications. Im not sure where to find it in the wild but when I do I will be extremely happy. The streams are trecherous, prone to sudden dramatic unexpected torrents so I keep away maybe this winter I will take another look bucket or two and see what i can find. But generaly the water is so strong the sandy stuff gets swept away.

Thanks for all the info.

Cerdic

I tried some of this seed from rps and have one germinate since april. They're in a mix of perlite and sphagnum in a clip sealed bag behind the fridge. The one that did pop I put outside on the top of the soil. Its halted all progress. Granted this is my first germination attempt but still bummed. After reading pedros tips I think ill whack a few an inch down in some potting mix. Cant be any worse. Because its constantly warm behind the fridge im guessing they may not have that temperature variation mentioned earlier. Time will tell

I tried some of this seed from rps and have one germinate since april. They're in a mix of perlite and sphagnum in a clip sealed bag behind the fridge. The one that did pop I put outside on the top of the soil. Its halted all progress. Granted this is my first germination attempt but still bummed. After reading pedros tips I think ill whack a few an inch down in some potting mix. Cant be any worse. Because its constantly warm behind the fridge im guessing they may not have that temperature variation mentioned earlier. Time will tell

If you have had them since mid April that is only 10 weeks , why be bummed, its just the "beginning", and why has your seedling halted? very simple reason, its winter, if you have a warm place to nurture seeds and seedlings they will perform much better, they "won't do it alone", look after them , all the best with the rest. Pete :)

Ahhh. I see. I figured it was all over for the rest of the seed. Being my first go at germinating I didnt know how long theyd stay viable. Ill bring the popped one indoors and keep it moist. Cheers for the info

Well Done Pete - you have the magic touch thats for sure ! :greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hey Pete, more color for you. Leaf sheath fell off the other day and wow, color me purple.

Here are a few photos.

Tim

post-1300-0-80626900-1372812946_thumb.jp post-1300-0-82645700-1372812957_thumb.jp post-1300-0-04143300-1372812971_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hey Pete, more color for you. Leaf sheath fell off the other day and wow, color me purple.

Here are a few photos.

Tim

attachicon.gifIMG_4635.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_4636.jpg attachicon.gifIMG_4488.jpg

WOW Tim, thanks for posting these pics, its certainly put on "Weight and Colour" in the last 6 months, Dictyocaryums planted in a "primo spot" grow at a very great rate and "bust the myth" that they are slow.

Now I just found this pic of Deans when he planted them in 2007 ( 6 yrs ago) which Im sure Dean won't mind and hopefully entice him to post a "today shot" to show what yours and hopefully mine will look like in just 6 years.( more like 8 to 10 for me) This is exciting stuff..

Hope Deans old pic enlarges to a good size.( it does..excellent..). Dean , when you do get a today pic can you pls put your 2007 in again, many thanks Pete :)

post-5709-0-67477300-1372836761_thumb.jp

I'll try to remember tomorrow Pete. Not much blue on them right now though.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I'll try to remember tomorrow Pete. Not much blue on them right now though.

Thanks Dean, its the growth in the last 6 yrs your palms have put on more than colour, to me and Im sure Tim as well, look fwd to the pics. Pete :)

Pedro

Do you mind posting the link re growth and cultivation?

I like to grow these also but I notice no one from SoCAL responded to this thread....

Thanx.

Ritchy

Pedro

I like to grow these also but I notice no one from SoCAL responded to this thread....

Thanx.

Ritchy

Ritchy,

Im doing something wrong, its not permitting me to post old link, so you will have to look up Simple Success For Dictyocaryum, sorry mate. Pete :)

Pedro

Thanx.

Ritchy

Ritchy, that's a tough one to grow in San Dimas, not just because of Winter but your growing season is very hot and dry. This thing needs montane humid tropical conditions and Pedro has that. Right on the beach in Sunset 24 is about the only place it would grow in California, and perhaps in a sheltered spot in sunset zone 17 but with some added witchcraft. Try it anyway if you have a humid spot that doesn't get hit by Santa Anas, but keep another palm ready as a back up and don't get attached.

I didn't forget you Pete - just been busy. You can look for a yellow rake in one of the shots for scale.

post-11-0-78958800-1373089528_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-24665600-1373089531_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-66829300-1373089533_thumb.jpg

Kona, on The Big Island

I didn't forget you Pete - just been busy. You can look for a yellow rake in one of the shots for scale.

post-11-0-24665600-1373089531_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-66829300-1373089533_thumb.jpgpost-11-0-78958800-1373089528_thumb.jpg Stunning, thanks Dean for the "inspiration and excitement" thought Id add the 2007 shot when you planted them as well. Dictyocaryum are certainly "Top Shelf" Palms :) Pete

post-0-0-17454000-1373091970_thumb.jpg

Dean, approximately what percentage of time do yours spend in sun vs. shade?

Dean, approximately what percentage of time do yours spend in sun vs. shade?

My answer is really not applicable for almost everyone reading this. I live where the clouds form 19 out of 20 afternoons (if not more), beginning around 10-11:00 in the morning. So my full sun is what most people would call mostly shade. And in addition, they get additional "shade" from trees about half the day.

So in other words, very little direct unfiltered sun.

Kona, on The Big Island

It's interesting the size of yours Dean! They are pretty big. They easily dwarf those A. macrocalyx.

Dean, the ranch in Ecuador has a climate almost identical to leilani estates on the other side of the island except that around 2 or 3 pm the clouds roll through and blanket everything in fog for a few hours.

Dean, the ranch in Ecuador has a climate almost identical to leilani estates on the other side of the island except that around 2 or 3 pm the clouds roll through and blanket everything in fog for a few hours.

I'm sure you can grow it and grow it well.

Kona, on The Big Island