IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus R. X Parajubaea Sunkha

TimHopper

I have some Syagrus R. X Parajubaea Sunkha to sell. They are well established in 3x3x9 band containers. In the US with shipping is 60.00 each and email for international orders at timhoppers@gmail.com

My paypal address it timhoppers@aol.com

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

I dont think this cross has been done before, at least not that i know of.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Tim tell me here so everyone can benefit, what's your suggestion for these palms once I get them. ... Sun or shade sand or clay acid or alkaline pot them up let them grow more etc

I know everyone has their favorite growing tricks. I like to grow a seedling to a strong 3 gallon or larger before planting in the ground, although there are probably benefits to planting a germinated seed directly in the ground. Certainly easier to maintain in a container with good quality growers mix until they get larger. I like using a premium resin coated fertilizer to get them started. My favorites are :

http://www.arysta-na.com/Nutricote/files/NUT_18-6-8_PIS.pdf

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/osmocote-plus-multi-purpose-plant-food/prod140020/

Once they are in the ground, i use various palm fertilizers that i can find at a bargain. These will enjoy a full , but should also do well in partial shade. With Syagrus R. As the mother, they will benefit from heavy feeding and plenty of water in well drained soil.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

So these liners should be ready to transfer to a 3 gallon with well drained medium sun to part shade maybe a little osmocote? Sounds good? When you gonna ship them out?

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim,

Did you send my order?

Thank you.

07690.gif

elevation 328 feet

distance from mediteranean sea 1,1 mile

lowest t° 2009/2010 : 27F

lowest t° 2008/2009 : 33F

lowest t° 2007/2008 : 32F

lowest t° 2006/2007 : 35F

lowest t° 2005/2006 : 27F

lowest t° 2004/2005 : 25F

Historical lowest t° 1985 : 18F

I have 3 of these in my shadehouse that are not quite as large ,grown from seed sent by Gary levine !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

To all of you waiting for plants from Tim. I gave Tim all the pollen over a year ago and in return Tim was suppose to send me seedlingd of both the sysgrus x sunkha and jubutyagrus x sunkha. Tim never sent me any plants as promissed and he dissappeared. He contacted me over a month ago as he did everyone else on this forum. He promissed to ship my plants in a week and said he suffered from health issues as the reason he was gone six months with no contact. Its been over a month again and i have not heard from Tim or got any seedlings. I imagine Tim has very serious health problems and i fear the worse, i am just worried about him ar this point and hope he is ok. So if you dont hear from him i imagine that is the reason and we should just hope he gets well soon.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

To all of you waiting for plants from Tim. I gave Tim all the pollen over a year ago and in return Tim was suppose to send me seedlingd of both the sysgrus x sunkha and jubutyagrus x sunkha. Tim never sent me any plants as promissed and he dissappeared. He contacted me over a month ago as he did everyone else on this forum. He promissed to ship my plants in a week and said he suffered from health issues as the reason he was gone six months with no contact. Its been over a month again and i have not heard from Tim or got any seedlings. I imagine Tim has very serious health problems and i fear the worse, i am just worried about him ar this point and hope he is ok. So if you dont hear from him i imagine that is the reason and we should just hope he gets well soon.

Gary

Just to reiterate what Gary said,

Tim has always been generous, honest and prompt in all of my dealings with him and I would assume if he has failed to respond and or deliver items there is probably a REALLY good reason. I hope that any health issues that he has are not getting worse. I encourage folks to try and be patient.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I was with Tim about a month ago in st. Augustine. I bought three of these from him. He had quite a few available. They were nice size in two-inch by 10 inch tall pots. I stepped mine up into three gallon pots. They are all doing well here in south Florida. Tim does have some issues going on in his life that I really don't believe I have the liberty to discuss. His physical health seemed fine. I am going up to st. Augustine again over labor day. I will attempt to contact him again and see what I can do to help.

Richard

Thanks I appreciate it. It takes a certain degree of trust to send someone a couple hundred dollars by PayPal for palms from someone you've never met. I believe everyone on this site has good intentions and hope to get my palms soon

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, did you ever receive your palms?? I wanted to order some as well, but for some reason, I didn't

I have large batch from last years rev x deb and some of the larger ones are starting to get split leaves, they went threw the winter in a cold frame no problem, Ill leave a couple out this year and see how they handle it. If they take the cold, these will be very nice shade plants. I have some from a few years ago from another source that sent up nice 3' leaves. ill have to get some pics.

Dan I have yet to get a palm. However my $240 was rapidly accepted over PayPal. I'm trying to remain optimistic. I figure there are not crooks within a community like this. I'm trying to give Tim the benefit of the doubt but its getting harder and harder.

Ive gotten exactly squat, and i provided all the pollen for the hybrids.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I do not know tim, and I will not judge
but I have a question to all of you:
how do you know if these are really hybrids? if you can not trust a person who does not respond to email?

GIUSEPPE

Maybe he died or is in a coma.. to me thats what it sounds like because I just don't see a guy like Tim who has been so involved with the Palm community and Palmtalk just run off with people's money and shaft the pollen guy.

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

I had thought about these not being true hybrids... although more as an accident than an intentional scam. But, the dream of a parajub crown on a syagrus trunk leaning out over my swimming pool was too much to resist!

Well if that was my $240 I would be finding ways to solve this problem with the law or finding out if the guy is still coherent in this world . B/C that would be in the theft/felony/jail category. Right? Or is that $1000?

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

not fun loosing out like you did. I hope you all get your plants.

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

Really!? I guess I need to contact Paypal? Honestly, I'd rather have the palms! (Spoken like a true palmnut) Yeah, I guess I will see what's up via paypal. Thanks Erik.

how do you know if these are really hybrids? if you can not trust a person who does not respond to email?

I don't think that this was ever a concern. I have a few of his hybrids as do other folks on this forum and they appear to be as advertised. Plus he has posted some very detailed threads with photos on how he does his hybrids. Don't think he was trying to create some elaborate hoax. I hope this gets resolved soon for everyone's sake.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Good news is I did not have to put money out of my pocket, just the cost to ship the pollen. But Tim has made a ton of money off my pollen and it is kind of aggravating to get stiffed like that. If he is sick I have no problems with this, but any other reason is unacceptable. For those of you that used Paypal you can get your money back, Paypal is good with this. Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I bought some seed from Tim about 1 year and 4 months ago. Here are some pics of them. They are definitely growing slower than pure Queen. The strap leaves are also thinner. None have split yet. I am not familiar with P. Sunkha. Maybe someone can pipe in on weather they look hybrid. I did not receive them at first, then I contacted him and he sent them. I believe he was confused with all the response.

post-112-0-08772000-1378839048_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-00072500-1378839054_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-72277800-1378839059_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-28588000-1378839065_thumb.jpg

I don't think that this was ever a concern. I have a few of his hybrids as do other folks on this forum and they appear to be as advertised. Plus he has posted some very detailed threads with photos on how he does his hybrids. Don't think he was trying to create some elaborate hoax. I hope this gets resolved soon for everyone's sake.

I had good response from tim with his x jubutyagrus hybrids. I bought 2 and he sent me 3, arriving in less than a week after paying. And these are definitely hybrids, a mule like form but very upright. I hope he is OK...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 3 weeks later...

i ordered him seeds last year. Syagrus Romanzoffiana x Parajubaea Shunka,

i got the seeds in a week or so even though i live in spain, the plants are not syagrus romanzoffiana but the seeds seemed to be syagrus romanzoffiana so are hybrids... i followed his post with all the process concerning the hybridation process...

• 3 months later...

Is there any updates on Tim??? His health, his business, etc. ??? I was surprised to read the 'issues' that members have been having with orders from Tim.... I've not ordered anything recently but he was always prompt on replying to emails as well as getting orders out. Sure seems like something 'bad' might have occurred to him.... appreciate any updates. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)