IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pogobob loves coconut palms - Del Mar coconut update

LJG

Here's the sign close up. I guess I was wrong, the claim is even bolder than that! Anybody know who palmcrazed is?

067afebf.jpg

And here is a nicer photo, same day as the photo in my post earlier, but from a different angle you can't tell how yellow and ratty the thing really is. Looks pretty good for Newport from this angle.

9a202164.jpg

Id grow a coconut in a soil mix, heavy in pumice like Jeff Marcus does in his pots.

I'd dig a 4 ft deep hole, empty a large wheel barrel full of pumice water daily during the summer and not at all during the winter.

I once had a papaya over winter here with a mix like that.... Till it got hit by freezing temps, but the roots were great.

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb: ...

That Raoul coconut is even better than the Newport craponut! Someone in Newport please put that thing down?

Agreed, that palm looks like hell, always has and always will.

• Like 1

That Raoul coconut is even better than the Newport craponut! Someone in Newport please put that thing down?

Bahumbug!

C'mon guys. Why do you care? If you don't like, stop driving by and reading threads about it. Problem solved.

My guess is that coconut has done far more to advance the palm hobby in SoCal than it has to discourage people...far more.

Steve (Urban Rainforest) who planted and cared for the Del Mar Coconut, introduced me to this plant in Feb of 2012. And since then I've been checking on it every few months. It's not the best looking coconut, but one of the coolest in my opinion. It's been in the ground for what I believe is 13-14 years now. Steve believes that the black stones, purposely placed around the base to capture and preserve the daytime sun heat during the winter days, is a big part of the success.

Also how come no one feels that the small Latania next to the Del Mar Coconut deserves to be photographed?

Bahumbug!

C'mon guys. Why do you care? If you don't like, stop driving by and reading threads about it. Problem solved.

My guess is that coconut has done far more to advance the palm hobby in SoCal than it has to discourage people...far more.

Bashing this coconut is the only way those of us who don't live in the California coconut belt can feel good about ourselves. :)

Personally I love this coconut and I never fail to stop by during any of our mandatory annual family pilgrimages from Riverside down to the beach. I've tracked it and taken pictures of it for the last 15 years. Google "Cloudforest Newport Coconut" to see the many discussions and pictures over the last 15 years. I

Bahumbug!

The only reason I read this post is 'cuz it had Pogo's name in the title. Anything with Pogo in it makes me happy!

As for driving by it? I stay as far away from ZooPort as possible, if I have to I'll take the 15 north from O'side just to avoid it.

AND...as far as promoting the hobby I would have to succinctly disagree. How many newbies saw this palm and then went on a spending spree wasting God-knows how many $$$ on coconuts only to throw up their arms and say "I quit!". I would hanker quite a few.

• Like 1

Bahumbug!

The only reason I read this post is 'cuz it had Pogo's name in the title. Anything with Pogo in it makes me happy!

As for driving by it? I stay as far away from ZooPort as possible, if I have to I'll take the 15 north from O'side just to avoid it.

AND...as far as promoting the hobby I would have to succinctly disagree. How many newbies saw this palm and then went on a spending spree wasting God-knows how many $$$ on coconuts only to throw up their arms and say "I quit!". I would hanker quite a few.

Zoo port! Love the name. I'm with you. I avoid the place like the plague.

Well, agree to disagree. I really got into palms after a 2011 trip to the South Pacific. Oh the coconuts...

After a few google searches on Cocos N. I came

across PalmTalk. Where upon I learned of the incomparable Chamberonia macrocarpa. I was totally hooked. Believe me, the Zooport Beach cocos played a huge role in my addiction and helps fuel it still.

You want to get people more enthused about palms? Cut down all the washies in SoCal. I constantly hear the average non palm person hate on them. They nearly turned me off to palms too...rat nest weed factories....those are the real turn off.

Bahumbug!

You shouldn't have given away the pogo password, now you're gonna see pogo in all the thread titles.

Zooport is just the tip of the iceberg. I would take I-15 just to avoid ever having to touch the pavement of the 405 parking lot. Better yet, I simply avoid anything south of Santa Barbara even if it means I will never be able to grow a coconut. :) (Except of course to visit cool fellow palm nuts - disclaimer, I drive my share of Socal freeways.)

I think the coconut does provide a service, most people don't even know the difference between a canary date palm and a washingtonia. They see the coconut and they go, what's this? And a light turns on. They may never grow a coconut, but they suddenly become conscious of the fact that there is more than one kind of palm. I once asked a fellow palm nut how he became a palm nut. Someone gave him a king palm. He said once he discovered that there was more than one kind of palms, he was hooked.

Pogobob's love Affair :wub: with Coconuts started Wayyyy back in the late 1970's ! :floor:

post-1252-0-74485100-1372416112_thumb.jp

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I brought a truckload of fresh coconuts back on my way home from Mexico and sprouted them in my old greenhouse. Grew them up to 15gal and sold them to Laguna Beach nursery for $50 each, that was a boatload of cash in the 70s for any palm!

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I brought a truckload of fresh coconuts back on my way home from Mexico and sprouted them in my old greenhouse. Grew them up to 15gal and sold them to Laguna Beach nursery for $50 each, that was a boatload of cash in the 70s for any palm!

That's $291 in 2010 dollars if you convert $50 from 1970. I'd call that highway robbery, especially wholesale. You did well. :)

Bahumbug!

How many newbies saw this palm and then went on a spending spree wasting God-knows how many $$$ on coconuts only to throw up their arms and say "I quit!". I would hanker quite a few.

If it wasn’t for the sign no newbie would even know thats a coconut…just saying!

Troy I almost posted that old photo…LOL!

Yeah, if ya got it, flaunt it!

And I bet you used to sling them around, one in each hand at a time. Right? Great pic!
  • Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Where do you guys find these photos? When I google for Pogobob's name, I find stuff like "WriteAPrisoner.com - Robert De Jong's Pen-Pal Profile". Did you get thrown in jail for selling those coconuts? :)

Where do you guys find these photos? When I google for Pogobob's name, I find stuff like "WriteAPrisoner.com - Robert De Jong's Pen-Pal Profile". Did you get thrown in jail for selling those coconuts? :)

Pretty easy to fine…. coconut palm in newport beach ca

Here’s a little note someone wrote that’s interesting. http://americanvoyages.blogspot.com/2011/11/newport-beach-coconut-palm.html

Edited by Palm crazy

The Newport Cocunut is genious, look at all the women it suckered hugs from by looking homeless and getting sympathy? Good work NP Cococrapnut, im on to you.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

• 3 months later...

Bahumbug!

Bashing this coconut is the only way those of us who don't live in the California coconut belt can feel good about ourselves. :)

Personally I love this coconut and I never fail to stop by during any of our mandatory annual family pilgrimages from Riverside down to the beach. I've tracked it and taken pictures of it for the last 15 years. Google "Cloudforest Newport Coconut" to see the many discussions and pictures over the last 15 years. I

So, exactly where is this California Coconut Belt?

• Like 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Bahumbug!

So, exactly where is this California Coconut Belt?

It's a spot of land that encircles the newport beach coco and is the size of a literal belt

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Bumps

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

anyone aware of a large coconut growing in arizona? Its planted in the biosphere 2 north of Tucson. So I guess this doesn't really count does it. Its about 15 to 20 feet tall. Saw it last week, but I didn't think about taking a pic of it. Its planted in the ocean area. It looks really healthy too!

anyone aware of a large coconut growing in arizona? Its planted in the biosphere 2 north of Tucson. So I guess this doesn't really count does it. Its about 15 to 20 feet tall. Saw it last week, but I didn't think about taking a pic of it. Its planted in the ocean area. It looks really healthy too!

Cool info. I didn't realize that place was even still around.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 10 months later...
  • 4 years later...

So yesterday I was a little early to work so I decided to check out the waves in Del Mar. As I walked back to my truck I noticed some palms growing at an complex just up the street so I walked up the street to check them out. So cool stuff planted, but as i rounded the corner, I look up and see..... Is that a coconut?!? :hmm: What the....:o I was totally second guessing myself, but was sure this is a coconut! I had no idea this thing was growing in Del Mar, so it was cool to just randomly come across it. 

Searched the forum and found this thread. Well, it’s still alive and seems to be doing well in 2019.

Jan_2019a.jpg

Jan_2019.jpg

Jan_2019b.jpg

Jan_2019c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 1:55 PM, Gonzer said:

Notice the alcove it's growing in, trapping a lot of heat.

I see the ocean in the back ground. It is probably growing in sand.

I am convinced that the problem of growing cocos nucifera in our region is that our soil is heavy clay that will not drain and dry well in the winter.

I have one growing in my work in Tijuana in the ground that is now about 6 meters high, you can find the threads about it if you do a search. Planted in 90% sand in 2005.

I also have 2 at my house in Rosarito. They are in pots, but will be planted in the ground when I finish building my new house. Also planted in sand with perlite and some soil.

This foto was taken today.

I do not have any problems with these 3 cocos nucifera.

20190127_162849.jpg

20190127_162905.jpg

Edited by Cristóbal
  • Like 4

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

6 hours ago, Cristóbal said:

I see the ocean in the back ground. It is probably growing in sand.

I am convinced that the problem of growing cocos nucifera in our region is that our soil is heavy clay that will not drain and dry well in the winter.

Yep, that's the ocean in the back Cristobal but from a distance. The house looks situated way up and above the Pacific. I doubt that it's planted in sand.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cristóbal said:

I have one growing in my work in Tijuana in the ground that is now about 6 meters high, you can find the threads about it if you do a search. Planted in 90% sand in 2005.

20190127_162849.jpg

Hola Cristóbal! It's been a long time! Hope all is well. When you get a chance, can you please apprise us with updated pics on your coconut @ your place of work?

Also, what happened to the one you had planted relatively close to the beach?

Thanks again.

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

On 1/28/2019 at 11:17 AM, Zeeth said:

That Del Mar coconut looks pretty good!

I am interested to know what type of soil it is growing in.  To confirm my own observations of many years about drainage and drying out.

Does anybody have GPS location of this? I could go check it.

• Like 1

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6