greekpalm

Butia or Jubaea for coastal mainland western europe ?

greekpalm

Which of those two is best for a colder(zone 8a and 8b, with extremes up to -17C) atlantic(constant rainy yearlong, between 700 and 900mm annually) climate(summer temperatures around 20 and 22C)

UK is excluded because they have warmer winters, sunnier annually, and less rain.

Also I should mention that air is humid the whole air through.

So which one should have a higher probability to survive (with minimal winter protection), and the higher possibility to grow faster ?

(trivia knowledge: this area has an population of around 18 Million )

post-5120-0-28296600-1371977742_thumb.pn

Edited by greekpalm

greekpalm

in faster growth i do mean leafs per year, and not about the trunk on the palm

buffy

Butia eriospatha. Hunt down Nigel on this forum.

Flow

Neither Butia nor Jubaea will take -17 for a longer time with only light protection.

If you're willing to protect them I'd go for the most beautiful in your eyes.

Butia eriospatha does seem like a good choice though.

I've only a Jubaea planted out and it doesn't have any problems with high rainfall (around 1200mm)

Edited by Flow

DoomsDave

For what it's worth, there are some large Jubes in southwestern France, facing the Atlantic.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Phoenikakias

For what it's worth, there are some large Jubes in southwestern France, facing the Atlantic.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

If southwestern France faces the Antlatic, then the coastal french part next to Spain facing the med is what?

Alicehunter2000

South and Southeast and the part right next to Spain..... East....? Is this a trick question? What do I win?

Phoenikakias

I was thinking that South East part of France is the one bordering to Italy, you know Cote d'Azure, Menton, Nice, Cannes, the famous european film festival etc while diagonally on the opposite side, facing Atlantic is the North West part, but again maybe I am wrong or I live in another dimension :bemused:

JasonD

I think a Butia X Jubaea hybrid would be a pretty good option. Or Jubaea X Butia.

_Keith

I think a Butia X Jubaea hybrid would be a pretty good option. Or Jubaea X Butia.

I am a tad warmer, but my Jubutia is slow, and I mean SLOWWWW.

sarasota alex

Based on what I am reading in our Ukrainian/Russian forum, Jubaeas perform much better than Butias in Eastern Europe where they are considered to be the hardiest of all pinnate-leafed palms. There are some growing unprotected in zone 7 in Czech Republic.

greekpalm

thank you guys! also people have been reporting similar reports in belgium and the netherlands, Jubaea seems to be the winner... ill focus on it from next sping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• subsonicdrone
      By subsonicdrone
      just brought the plants out for the season so i took some"before" pics
      my seedlings didnt fare well this winter
      i under watered and most died i will post pics of the survivors when things are more organized back there

• UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      So I had a couple of hours spare and challenged myself to see as many palms as possible in the Richmond area of London, which is in the southeast of capital. I have put together a photo-documented record of palms in this vicinity of the city and their progress up to now.
      First up, Butia Odorata…

This Jubaea is something else

The Brahea Armata is getting bigger

Butia Yatay

Parajubaea Cocoides growing under the Yatay

Chamaerops Humilis

Trachycarpus

Trithrinax Campestris

Washingtonia and smaller Jubaea

Yucca Elephantipes, one of the most common exotic plants in London

Typical London CIDP

I had to visit the two Kew/Richmond Robusta’s up close. The neighbour’s front yard has had all the big Trachy’s and Chamaerops cut down though!

Another Brahea Armata

It was a mild early February day in southeast London…

Trachy’s aplenty…

CIDP’s aplenty too…

Terrific washingtonia lurking down a side road in Mitcham…

Spotted a few more CIDP’s as well…

I actually missed quite a few palms off, but I can’t complain given the decent haul I managed to view  and photograph still, all in the space of about 2-3 hours. That also included a stop at Richmond Park for lunch too, so it was a fairly productive visit. 
    • MSX
      By MSX
      Hello everyone! I've been into palms for quite some time but this is my first experience of watching a palm grow from seed, and it happened that this is a Butia. I've been following these recommendations Germinating Butia Seed By Nigel Kembrey. Chamaerops No. 51 - published online 22-04-2005. According to the recommendations, a seed starting soilless medium contains 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite. The medium was watered only once in the beginning before placing the nuts on the top of it, now it's almost bone dry to touch. Having spent nearly a month in a container (7 days of soaking + 21 days on the top of the medium) one of the seeds(nuts) have sprouted

Two more days and it pulls the nut up burying deeper into the perlite/vermiculite medium

The article mentioned above suggests the following: "I tend to allow the seedling to develop in the perlite until the leaf is visible, and then lift it out and pot it up. This gives the best survival ratio." So, my question - should I leave the nut like this until it develops the first small green leaf before transplanting it from the soilless medium to a separate container with a regular soil based medium? Or is it okay to move it in to the soil based medium right away? Thanks!
    • UK_Palms
      By UK_Palms
      All of these ones are in London only. I will do a second upload for the other UK ones because there are already too many for London alone.
      Starting with the Jubaea's first, these ones are located in Richmond, southeast London...

Street view Jubaea's...

Here is the Jubaea at Chelsea Physic Garden in central London, which I visited over the summer...

Battersea Park Jubaea's in central London...

North London Jubaea with big Washingtonia Filifera...

Some smaller London Jubaea's on street view...

Now onto the London Butia's, of which there are many to document. Here's the one at Chelsea Physic Garden next to that Jubaea I posted before...

This Butia is located in Chumleigh Gardens which is in Burgess Park, south London...

This CIDP is located right next to the Butia above, in Burgess Park, south London. You can see the Butia in the background. It is yet another London CIDP that I haven't even posted before yet. These are not recent images either. This CIDP photo from Chumleigh Gardens is 5 years old now, so it will be much, much bigger, as will the Butia...

11 Monmouth Road, London...

These are in Richmond, southeast London...

Butia Yatay, Richmond

Butia hybrid? Central London...

I can't remember what part of London this Butia is located in? I know I have seen someone post it on here before though, a few years back. 

This one is in Wisley Gardens on the outskirts of southeast London...

Strange planting in central London...

Again these ones are just London so far. I've probably missed a bunch. I will upload the Jubaea's and Butia's from the rest of the UK soon, as well as any other London ones that I forgot. 
    • Collectorpalms
      By Collectorpalms
      Anyone having any luck with pure Butia in central Texas? Initially several of the largest in the area looked like they had some green in the center. However, now more than a month later they look worse. These experience around 5F. I must have had too much faith in their cold hardiness?
      Should they be trunk cut now that the green is fading? I am asking for someone who has 7 nice ones that is hesitating. Copper fungicide applied and last checked a couple weeks and only 1 spear pulled then.