IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia or Jubaea for coastal mainland western europe ?

greekpalm

Which of those two is best for a colder(zone 8a and 8b, with extremes up to -17C) atlantic(constant rainy yearlong, between 700 and 900mm annually) climate(summer temperatures around 20 and 22C)

UK is excluded because they have warmer winters, sunnier annually, and less rain.

Also I should mention that air is humid the whole air through.

So which one should have a higher probability to survive (with minimal winter protection), and the higher possibility to grow faster ?

(trivia knowledge: this area has an population of around 18 Million )

post-5120-0-28296600-1371977742_thumb.pn

Edited by greekpalm

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

in faster growth i do mean leafs per year, and not about the trunk on the palm

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif

Butia eriospatha. Hunt down Nigel on this forum.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Neither Butia nor Jubaea will take -17 for a longer time with only light protection.

If you're willing to protect them I'd go for the most beautiful in your eyes.

Butia eriospatha does seem like a good choice though.

I've only a Jubaea planted out and it doesn't have any problems with high rainfall (around 1200mm)

Edited by Flow

For what it's worth, there are some large Jubes in southwestern France, facing the Atlantic.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

For what it's worth, there are some large Jubes in southwestern France, facing the Atlantic.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

If southwestern France faces the Antlatic, then the coastal french part next to Spain facing the med is what?

South and Southeast and the part right next to Spain..... East....? Is this a trick question? What do I win?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I was thinking that South East part of France is the one bordering to Italy, you know Cote d'Azure, Menton, Nice, Cannes, the famous european film festival etc while diagonally on the opposite side, facing Atlantic is the North West part, but again maybe I am wrong or I live in another dimension :bemused:

I think a Butia X Jubaea hybrid would be a pretty good option. Or Jubaea X Butia.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I think a Butia X Jubaea hybrid would be a pretty good option. Or Jubaea X Butia.

I am a tad warmer, but my Jubutia is slow, and I mean SLOWWWW.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Based on what I am reading in our Ukrainian/Russian forum, Jubaeas perform much better than Butias in Eastern Europe where they are considered to be the hardiest of all pinnate-leafed palms. There are some growing unprotected in zone 7 in Czech Republic.

thank you guys! also people have been reporting similar reports in belgium and the netherlands, Jubaea seems to be the winner... ill focus on it from next sping.

AHS Heat Zones 8

16716.gif