IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

February treat

Exotic Life

Today was here the battle between warm and cold weather high in the sky ... the results we get a snow system ... that gives us snow this morning and the beginning this afternoon (I will show pics later), But from 2 o'clock this afternoon the snow system leave us and go to the middle and north of the Netherlands. And from that moment the tempeture's is rising ... i have got almost 5C = 41F now ... and it's going to rain ... so the snow is almost everewhere melted or melting. This morning i have got 5cm =1.90 inch of snow, but now it's almost gone :D

This night can be a frosty night, but after that we going to warm up again day tempeture's around the 50 F and nights around the 40F :)

I have not been so cold likes england and new york ... i have got light frost the last 3 night's ... so i'm still not bad at all.

This winter so far is right at this moment already warmer then the warmest winter ever, so now the very mild tempetures coming again, it's almost for sure this will be the warmest winter ever ! :)

Robbin

Southwest

These weather forecasters must use an old church Bingo ball tumbler to choose overnight lows  

Larry,

It's funny that you say that. I feel the same way.... AND I've really been paying attention to Accuweather vs  Weather.com and Weather.com has been alot closer to the real temps... Accuweather's Doom-n-gloom scenarios have not played out like they've wanted them.. They have forecasted almost 5f lower then we've been for the past week and when it comes down to the actual day, they change their forecast.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(happ @ Feb. 07 2007,23:50)

Only Florida has been spared  :cool:  Will be in Miami in a few weeks checking out Coconut Grove/Fairchild while the rest of my party act bored and impatient as I stop at every banyan tree  :P  

Well, kind of..  Even with the "winter blast" we had in Jan, it never really got below 30F (it iced up at 31-32F).  So we had a cool Jan, but not cold as far as records go.  Now it is warm and mild in South Texas.  Most areas of South Texas probably had mins higher than many areas of So Cal in Jan.  I keep hearing of teens and 20s for Cal in Jan, we never got anywhere near that cold.

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 08 2007,09:14)

Surprise!

The forecast low for my town this AM was 51F.

I awoke to 42F!

And, my father's weather station (he lives a few miles south of me) logged 40F!

These weather forecasters must use an old church Bingo ball tumbler to choose overnight lows :D

Larry,

I have been trying to tell you they guess for some time now! ???  

But your theory of pulling balls out of a BINGO cage sounds like  a plausible scenario as well! :laugh:

In all seriousness though, this is the exact scenario that I worry about.

They missed it high by 9 degrees,what if the forecast had been for 41F instead of 51F,and they missed by 9 degrees?

BINGO a radiational freeze on a night THEY said  we have nothing to worry about! :angry:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

BINGO a radiational freeze on a night THEY said  we have nothing to worry about!  

that's why I use a tolerance of +-10 with those guys.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 08 2007,09:14)

Surprise!

The forecast low for my town this AM was 51F.

I awoke to 42F!

And, my father's weather station (he lives a few miles south of me) logged 40F!

These weather forecasters must use an old church Bingo ball tumbler to choose overnight lows :D

I noticed that something was wrong when it was already 48F in Tampa around 10PM & the forecast called for low 50's.  :o  There's no excuse for that.  I've had to call the local NWS w/ a "heads up" while they are doing who knows what  ???  Don't they go outside once in a while as well as check the thermometers  :laugh:  

LA : 70/50

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Feb has been pretty cool so far overall. Like Larry complained, the last few mornings have been quite chilly but overall the last few days have been beautiful. The nights have been crystal clear and fairly dry so radiational cooling has been in effect.  I think going forward, we will not see too many more days with highs below 70F. Spring is on the way!

2/1 Lo: 57.2F  Hi: 79.7F

2/2 Lo: 43.5F  Hi: 75.4F (high was in early AM)

2/3 Lo: 54.9F  Hi: 63.1F

2/4 Lo: 50.4F  Hi: 66.2F

2/5 Lo: 50.2F  Hi: 59.7F

2/6 Lo: 45.9F  Hi: 73.9F

2/7 Lo: 43.5F  Hi: 72.9F

2/8 Lo: 45.7F  Hi: 73.0F (looks like temp will hang out in the 50's for the rest of this day)

:)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I think we are in the clear now!  Let's see, I think I bottomed out in the upper 30's twice this season on three different occasions.  I have never seen a winter like this since I have been keeping track of temperatures in ’99.

Brevard County, Fl

We're about out of the woods as far as extreme cold.  Average temps are going up FAST now, adding a degree every 3 or 4 days.  Current average high is 66-67F for us.  Here is the dates we reach the following average high temperatures:

70F - Feb 25

75F - Mar 17

80F - Apr 11

85F - May 8

90F - Jun 4

95F - Jul 13

Max out at an average of 96F in early Aug. (with plenty of 100F days).  Average high is 90F+ from June 4 to Sep 19 (107 days).  Average high is 80F+ from Apr 11 to Oct 24 (196 days).  Avg high is 75F+ from Mar 17 to Nov 7 (235 days).

Post your comparisons, if you feel like it.

I liked January better.  Enough said.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Feb. 09 2007,17:52)

I liked January better.  Enough said.

You will niot find me disagreeing with that as the raw numbers show it to be so.

From my weather station---

January 2007

Average temperature: +63.7 °F

Average maximum temperature: +71.4 °F

Average minimum temperature: +56 °F

February (through 2/8/07)

Average temperature: +59 °F

Average maximum temperature: +68.4 °F

Average minimum temperature: +49.6 °F

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 09 2007,22:04)

January 2007

Larry

Aren't those Jan. temperatures close to average in Central Florida?

Jim

Those readings illustrate how quick the transition from winter to summer is in Texas.  That why plants get so big in the South.

Much cooler here :

Max-Min

Jan 69-51

Feb 71-52

Mar 73-54

Apr  77-57

May 78-59

Jun  84-63

Jul  88-66

Today

LA : 70/50

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Feb. 10 2007,00:41)

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 09 2007,22:04)

January 2007

Larry

Aren't those Jan. temperatures close to average in Central Florida?

Happy-

Compared to the official station nearest to me, the highs are slightly below average (72F) but the lows are far above average (50F).

Larry 

Hi,

It's still frosty in the north east of the netherlands with tempetures from 32F-30F/0 to -1,5C ... And it will be cold in the north for a couple day's more ...

Today i have got the highest 7.8C/46F and right at this moment it's 6.9C/44F, for me the don't expect any frost anymore the next week ... I will go for the day to 10C/50F and for the night around the 5C/41F.

The card here under can you see the cold in the north ... and the "warmth" in the south.

10-02-200716.png

Southwest

Unlike last year where Valentines Day brought an unwelcomed surprise, I will venture to say that true winter is over down here.  Call me an optimist?  Yeah right.

Ray,

Your turning into a half FULL glass kinda guy!

I just hope that  your glass  isn't half FULL of ICE come the end of Febuary! :;):

I think your right,  I hope we are out of the woods so to speak. But I'm not going to tempt mother nature!

It would be really nice to make it through this year without a freeze!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(happ @ Feb. 10 2007,00:41)

Jim

Those readings illustrate how quick the transition from winter to summer is in Texas.  That why plants get so big in the South.

Much cooler here :

Max-Min

Jan 69-51

Feb 71-52

Mar 73-54

Apr  77-57

May 78-59

Jun  84-63

Jul  88-66

Those are nice temps too.  Almost perfect people weather.  

Usually you guys are less susceptible to artic fronts too.  Well except for this year anyway.

Scott,

I wish the 40's were done too.  Then I could empty out my overcrowded greehouse.  It seems relatively benign but Sealing Wax Palms hate it when that happens.

Ray

Ray, I have been down into the 40's 4 days straight (47.5F last night) and it has been forcast to be in the 50's. It is actually forcast to go into the upper 40's here again tonight, let's see what happens. I know I should not complain, but I am longing for those high humidity and high heat days of summer  :D

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 10 2007,18:17)

Ray, I have been down into the 40's 4 days straight (47.5F last night) and it has been forcast to be in the 50's.

Same here Bill.  This has been a fairly long cool stretch at my place as well.  This morning was beautiful with nice clear skies and sunshine, and by early afternoon I thought I was in San Francisco!  It became gray and very cool fairly quickly.  

As mentioned above, a few nights ago the forecast was 51 and I logged 42.8F!  Several nights in a row were forecast for 50's and ended in the 40's.

The lows so far this month at my house-----

2/1 - 56.8F

2/2 - 61.0F

2/3 -  53.2F

2/4 - 48.0F

2/5 - 48.7F

2/6 - 43.2F

2/7- 43.3F

2/8 - 42.8F

2/9 - 49.5F

2/10 - 50.9F

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Feb. 10 2007,21:16)

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 10 2007,18:17)

Ray, I have been down into the 40's 4 days straight (47.5F last night) and it has been forcast to be in the 50's.

Same here Bill.  This has been a fairly long cool stretch at my place as well.  This morning was beautiful with nice clear skies and sunshine, and by early afternoon I thought I was in San Francisco!  It became gray and very cool fairly quickly.  

As mentioned above, a few nights ago the forecast was 51 and I logged 42.8F!  Several nights in a row were forecast for 50's and ended in the 40's.

The lows so far this month at my house-----

2/1 - 56.8F

2/2 - 61.0F

2/3 -  53.2F

2/4 - 48.0F

2/5 - 48.7F

2/6 - 43.2F

2/7- 43.3F

2/8 - 42.8F

2/9 - 49.5F

2/10 - 50.9F

Remarkable similarities :

FEB MIN

1) 50

2) 46

3) 48

4) 63

5) 64

6) 60

7) 50

8) 49

9) 51

10 53

Now we count down the hours waiting/hoping for rain.  NWS is so timid in forecasting storms, esp this winter.  It really is a flip of the coin if the moisture makes it into SoCal but the smell/feel of the air this evening is moist  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Whoops, I think I may have lost a day. It was 47.3F on 2/9 and so far for 2/10 47.5F. I guess that makes 5 mornings in a row with lows in the 40's.  We will see if it will be 6 in a row tomorrow morning  :o

Happ, those temps in LA don't look half bad. Really, why no coconuts in LA? And your highs are nice too. So far, my coconuts have made it through an extended cool end of January and beginning of February with lots of nasty, wet, rainy, cool, foggy etc days. The only thing I could think that really is different is the soil composition. Sand here, clay in California. Maybe more solar radiation in FL?

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

February has been brutal so far...

Feb 1: 30/25

Feb 2: 30/15

Feb 3: 30/9

Feb 4: 19/8

Feb 5: 15/1

Feb 6: 19/1 (6.4" of snow)

Feb 7: 23/10

Feb 8: 21/8

Feb 9: 25/5

Feb 10: 23/0-5 expected.

The water main on my cobblestone street broke on 2/2, the city finally fixed it on 2/9. There was over 1 foot of ice on the street in some areas where the tire depressions on the cobblestone are at.

More single digit temperatures expected next week as well.

This is what we get for having such a mild January.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Jake

Those temperatures are painful  :(

Bill

Mild is the key word about California but hot & humid are not very descriptive of the West Coast.  Plus night temps in the 60's are due to off-shore wind.  It can & does regularly drop into the 40's well into early April

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

On the other hand, if you look up the words heat and humidity, a picture of FL will pop up.  FL = Heat + Humidity.  Someone coming from some other areas of the country just don't understand, unless they spend a few weeks in FL in summer.  They think they understand, but don't.  FL is the reason they created the term "heat index".

Thankfully our most recent cold spell is over.  The temperature didn't dropped below 8°C/46°F last night and it is likely to be about the same tonight.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(syersj @ Feb. 11 2007,00:22)

On the other hand, if you look up the words heat and humidity, a picture of FL will pop up.  FL = Heat + Humidity.  Someone coming from some other areas of the country just don't understand, unless they spend a few weeks in FL in summer.  They think they understand, but don't.  FL is the reason they created the term "heat index".

Jim

Don't you think you ought to include Texas in the "heat & humidity" formula  ???  I have been in San Antonio in July & thought I'd croak but did enjoy some fantastic downpours even though I was eating dinner along the Paseo del Rio at the time  :laugh:

It does get a little humid in SoCal but nothing like what occurs over the bulk of the nation from the Mississippi R eastward.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Don't want to sound like CHICKEN LITTLE here "the sky is falling ..the sky is falling"

But has anyone seen what the MET guys are GUESSING about next Thrusday,and Friday night,for central Florida?

I'm beginning not to like the middle of Febuary,about the same time as last year ,just a few days later! :o

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(Neofolis @ Feb. 11 2007,02:23)

Thankfully our most recent cold spell is over.  The temperature didn't dropped below 8°C/46°F last night and it is likely to be about the same tonight.

Hi Neofolis,

Also tthat same tempeture's, today the highest tempeture was almost 12C/53.6F. Later this week more from this tempeture's but for ehre they say we got a lot of rain and some times change at stormy winds ...

So it's almost for sure this will be the mildest winter ever! After that i hope the spring will come directly at the beginning of march :D

Robbin

Southwest

Ray,

I should have known you would be ahead of me on this one! :;):  Didn't see your SCARE III post!

THE WOODS are getting thicker and maybe COLDER! :angry:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(happ @ Feb. 11 2007,09:59)

(syersj @ Feb. 11 2007,00:22)

Jim

Don't you think you ought to include Texas in the "heat & humidity" formula  ???  I have been in San Antonio in July & thought I'd croak but did enjoy some fantastic downpours even though I was eating dinner along the Paseo del Rio at the time  :laugh:

It does get a little humid in SoCal but nothing like what occurs over the bulk of the nation from the Mississippi R eastward.

Yes, but FL is just a little more humid, in my opinion, having lived in both FL and TX.  Yes you are correct, try going down on the river walk on a sultry summer day and you definitely feel like you are in FL.  Many days feel identical to FL humidity wise.  But I think the difference is, is that FL is always humid, whereas we get some "dry" days when winds are blowing off the southwest (Mexico deserts), rather than the gulf (humid days).  In FL the breeze is always coming from a body of water somewhere.  The dryer days here are usually the hot days though.  TX is hotter than FL, I can tell you that, and once your heat index is over 105, it's just hot, wherever you are.

East TX, Houston, and Galveston are probably just as hot and humid as FL and all the gulf coast for that matter.  One of the most sultry nights I ever spent was in Biloxi MS in Aug one year passing through on my way from FL to TX.  The Temp was in the mid/upper 90s, but the heat index was like 120F - I am not kidding.  The air was so thick you could cut it with a knife.  You felt like you were wearing a coat of humidity.  1-2 seconds after walking outside, you sweated profusely.  Now that was heat and humidity.

February has been brutal so far...

Feb 1: 30/25

Feb 2: 30/15

Feb 3: 30/9

Feb 4: 19/8

Feb 5: 15/1

Feb 6: 19/1 (6.4" of snow)

Feb 7: 23/10

Feb 8: 21/8

Feb 9: 25/5

Feb 10: 23/0-5 expected

Jake,

that's just ridiculous..... And I thought we have it cold... I won't complain about NY temps anymore... you have my sympothy

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Fri 57º/34º our time has come! Bet on lows: will they go up or down? My bet (hope?) is for ... 36.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

(Trópico @ Feb. 12 2007,08:42)

Fri 57º/34º our time has come! Bet on lows: will they go up or down? My bet (hope?) is for ... 36.

I am holding off judgement!

Here are the forecasts as of now....I am posting them here so theyll be saved and I can look back at them later in the week as they jockey them around (using the church hall bingo ball tumbler that gsn and I are pretty sure they use) :D

NWS

42F Thursday night

44F Friday night

Weather.com 44F and 37F.  

Accuweather 44F and 39F.

Weatherunderground 40F and 41F.

Larry 

Larry,

Wish I had done that as they were lower as early as yesterday morning. Then last night they went up a little,now this morning they are back down again,but not as low as early Sunday morning. :o

The bingo tumbler be flip flopping as Ray would say!  :D

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Larry at least right now they have you considerably warmer than here on the east coast , Titusville!

As of 12:30 pm 2/12

Thursday night - Friday night

MWS -                                39                38

Accu -                                 36                34

Weather.com                        40                34

Weatherunderground             38                36

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Feb. 12 2007,13:55)

Larry at least right now they have you considerably warmer than here on the east coast , Titusville!

I guess that means winds should be N/NW.

But, if they switch N/NE, the temps will flip flop.

Larry 

For 34689 as of 7AM this morning....a slow drop is starting in some forecasts.....

NWS 47F Thursday night, 42F Friday night

Weather.com 44F and 35F

Accuweather 44F and 39F

Weatherunderground 41F and 41F

Larry 

Well as of this post it looks chilly but not a freeze yet...

Friday night/Saturday Morning:

NWS: 36F

TWC: 36F

Accu: 38F

Wund: 37F

Not the church bingo ball thing for me, they are all pretty sure it is going to suck here  :(

I am not sure if this is supposed to be accompanied by wind or not, I hope there are some NW winds as I may stay a bit warmer than predicted. Even NE wind is OK because it will keep the frost off if it does get that cold or colder.

Zip code is 33570 if you are curious. The weather station on weather underground for that zip code is mine  :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B