IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

February treat

Exotic Life

HI ...

How is your weather ? Here after the mildest Januari ever, start also Februari very mild ...

It's here again right at this moment above the 10C/50F and it's sunny .... this must be the worse winter month ... but so far it looks like a cold spring month :D

Robbin

Southwest

Starting out the month with possible record highs into the 80s for tomorrow through Tuesday with plenty of sunshine. Then the pattern changes for the "Pineapple Express" to come a callin' for rain from about Thursday through the weekend.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

That reminds me, move another 10 degrees south for every decade I persist..........

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

It's even cold here in Paradise!

Woke up this morning and it was 62 in the bedroom and outside it dropped to 58 overnight.  

Ya, I know you guys are laughing, but remember my house is single wall, no insulation and no heating except when the sun shines.

When you are use to night temps in the say low 70's and it drops to 58, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :P

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

(WaianaeSteve @ Feb. 04 2007,16:10)

Woke up this morning and it was 62 in the bedroom and outside it dropped to 58 overnight.  

Ya, I know you guys are laughing, but remember my house is single wall, no insulation and no heating except when the sun shines.

When you are use to night temps in the say low 70's and it drops to 58, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :P

I'm not familiar wth that. What's it like?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

WaianaeSteve

Noticed minimums in the upper 50's in Hawaii on the Weather Channel today : very unusual.  It may actually be warmer in Los Angeles than Honolulu tonight [at least in the foothills].  Now how often does that happen?  :P  I live in a 100 yr. old house that also doesn't have insulation but night temps in the 30's a few weeks ago is far worse than coastal Hawaii has ever experienced.  

Tabulated January data today.  It was definitely a cold month for California.  Some locations did record coldest temperatures ever but the month overall wasn't the coldest on record.

LA - JANUARY 2007

Average Maximum : 67F/19.4C [Normal : 69F]

Average Minimum : 49F/9.4C [Normal : 51F]

Highest Maximum : 87F / Lowest Maximum : 56F

Lowest Minimum : 37F / Highest Minimum : 61F

Rainfall : 0.31 Rain-year total : 1.50 [Jul/Jun]  

Quite warm today & tonight will stay balmy in the hills.  Dew point/humidity are below 20%  :(  But it is not very windy so fires may not develop.  Will cool down later in the week but rainfall prospects don't look very impressive for SoCal  :o

LA : 88/55

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(epicure3 @ Feb. 04 2007,23:09)

(WaianaeSteve @ Feb. 04 2007,16:10)

I'm not familiar wth that. What's it like?

This is a 50 year old house made from tongue and grove redwood.  There is no framing lumber at all.  The outside wall hold up the roof.

Windows are jellouie (sp) and the wind can really blow (slightly) between the many panes of glass.

I have two additions w/out any sort of atic that traps heat.  those rooms are usually 3-5 degrees below the main house.

It's ofter colder inside than outside in the early daylight hours.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

It was actually mild emough to walk the dog at 11PM tonight without a jacket. Very nice!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

We are having another 1 week cold spell with temperature predicted to fall just below freezing for the next few nights and not pick up again properly until Saturday.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

We've been considerably below average here for the past couple weeks.  Wednesday is supposed to be our first nice day in quite some time.  It's supposed to be close to 60F (15.5C).  The lows are supposed to be around freezing, which is good compared to what we've been having.  It's been getting into the mid to low 20's pretty regularly.  The extended forcast shows us getting back close to average for this time of year with highs around 50-55F (10-13C) and lows around freezing.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

(happ @ Feb. 04 2007,21:00)

LA - JANUARY 2007

Average Maximum : 67F/19.4C [Normal : 69F]

Average Minimum : 49F/9.4C [Normal : 51F]

Highest Maximum : 87F / Lowest Maximum : 56F

Lowest Minimum : 37F / Highest Minimum : 61F

Rainfall : 0.31 Rain-year total : 1.50 [Jul/Jun]  

I can't wait to move to the El Sereno hilltop where I'll have temperatures similar to you, what a difference!  Here's my numbers for January in Altadena...

Average maximum - 18.4C (65.1F)

Average minimum - 4.8C (40.6F)

Highest maximum - 29C (84F) / Lowest maximum - 11C (52F)

Lowest minimum - -3C ( 27F) / Highest minimum - 9C (48F)

Jack

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

February is BRUTAL..... 18f for a high here today, dropping down to 8f tonight, winds 25-35mph.... I feel like I'm in Alaska... what a nightmare....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Still Zone 10a weather here in N. Florida although these past couple of weeks have been cold......at least it is not freezing. I did have one night a couple of nights ago that must have touched the freezing point.

My snake plants turned mushy in the open yard but were ok under the eve of the house. didn't affect my philodendrons or pinapple plants. Must have barely got to freezing? can't understand it. Just a few more weeks and then almost home free!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Strongly opposing air masses across the nation.  Intensely cold arctic air going back a decade grips the Great Lakes/Northeast.

West coast is under a strong subtropical surge of moisture to the north and heat in the south.

LA 89/64

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

January summary for my yard----

I am not sure about how my software is calculating windchill as the values seem "off".

Overall, compared to the "official" values for the station in town, the month was a tiny bit below average when it came to highs, but roughly 6F above average for lows.

FreeWX monthly summary for January 2007

There are 31 entries in the selected almanac file

covering the period 1 January to 31 January.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maximums and minimums

Maximum temperature: +82.9 °F at 14:50:00 on 07 January

Minimum temperature: +38.8 °F at 07:31:00 on 30 January

Maximum humidity: 98 % at 06:43:00 on 23 January

Minimum humidity: 30 % at 14:17:00 on 31 January

Maximum dew point: +72.7 °F at 09:45:00 on 06 January

Minimum dew point: +16.9 °F at 10:36:00 on 29 January   :o

Minimum wind chill: +24.8 °F at 08:28:00 on 29 January

Maximum heat index: +85.5 °F at 14:49:00 on 07 January

Maximum barometric pressure: 30.36 In.Hg at 11:25:00 on 12 January

Minimum barometric pressure: 29.74 In.Hg at 05:09:00 on 28 January

Maximum wind gust: 21 MPH from 325° at 04:00:00 on 29 January

------------------------------------------------------------

Averages

Average temperature: +63.7 °F

Average maximum temperature: +71.4 °F

Average minimum temperature: +56 °F

Average humidity: 69 %

Average maximum humidity: 89 %

Average minimum humidity: 49 %

Average dew point: +52.5 °F

Average maximum dew point: +60.1 °F

Average minimum dew point: +45 °F

Average minimum wind chill: +49.5 °F

Average maximum heat index: +78.6 °F

Average barometric pressure: 30.1 In.Hg

Average maximum barometric pressure: 30.2 In.Hg

Average minimum barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Rainfall summary:

(Entries are for the 24 hours Midnight to Midnight on the indicated dates)

1st January - (0.63 In.)

6th January - (0.04 In.)

7th January - (0.08 In.)

22nd January - (0.16 In.)

24th January - (0.04 In.)

25th January - (0.51 In.)

28th January - (0.39 In.)

Number of rainfall days: 7

Maximum rainfall rate: 4.53 In./hour at 06:00:00 on 28 January

Total rainfall for January: 1.85 In.

Average of daily peak wind gusts: 15 MPH

Average of daily peak wind gust direction: 174°

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Strongly opposing air masses across the nation.  Intensely cold arctic air going back a decade grips the Great Lakes/Northeast.

In all the years I've been living on Long Island, I've never felt anything like this.... It's un-inhabitable..... It belongs in Barrow,AK.. not here.... Not happy :( :( :(

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Larry,

Does your personal weather station automaticaly record daily high and low values to your computer or do you have to log it daily yourself?  Just curious because I've been thinking of getting one of the stations that was mentioned in one to the threads a few months back, the oregon scientific was one of them, it gets to be a pain sometimes doing it daily on what I'm using.

Don

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Bobby, how are the temps holding up in your enclosures?  My polytunnel is doing fine in our freezes, but then we don't have the wind speed combined with the low temperatures.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

So far this winter we're still zone 9A according to your USDA, which is in great contrast with our average winter when we're more like 7A (occasionally even 6B). However, unlike you guys at lower latitudes, we can get brutal cold weather as late as in March.

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

After a wet January with rainfall above average, 15 inches, February has started out a bit drier.  But, the month just began.  Temperatures are moderate as they normally are in the rainy season, which is known locally as Winter.  

Manaus, Amazonas forecast for the next few days.

Feb6weather.jpg

Bobby,

With the temperatures you have been seeing I am sure you are thinking even more about living in warmer places.  Even taking global warming into account.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Bobby, how are the temps holding up in your enclosures?  My polytunnel is doing fine in our freezes, but then we don't have the wind speed combined with the low temperatures.

Corey,

Some of the temps are doing great, others are doing just OK....

In my BIOSPHERE where I have most of my actively growing stuff, I've been able to maintain 60f while it dropped down to 8f last night.

in my DOMEHOUS which covers my Roebelleni triple, I've been able to maintain 45f when it drops down to 8f.

The only problem has been the biosphere... It's been fine up to now, except for the last couple nights I've only been able to maintain 33f when it drops down to 8f.. I sure hope it's gonna be ok.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

The only problem has been the biosphere... It's been fine up to now, except for the last couple nights I've only been able to maintain 33f when it drops down to 8f.. I sure hope it's gonna be ok

Correction.. I meant to say my PALMSCRAPER

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 06 2007,07:42)

I've only been able to maintain 33f when it drops down to 8f.. I sure hope it's gonna be ok.

Thats the one with the Ptychosperma in it correct?

It should be fine at 33F, especially since Im sure it gets warmer than that during the day.

Larry 

(Don_L @ Feb. 05 2007,23:51)

Larry,

Does your personal weather station automaticaly record daily high and low values to your computer or do you have to log it daily yourself?  Just curious because I've been thinking of getting one of the stations that was mentioned in one to the threads a few months back, the oregon scientific was one of them, it gets to be a pain sometimes doing it daily on what I'm using.

Don

Don-

Everything is 100% automatic.  Data streams in to my computer every 5-10 seconds, and Ive set the software to log data to the hard drive every 5 minutes and to upload to weatherunderground every 15 minutes.  With data sampling at 5-10 seconds, one never misses the true highs/lows/wind speeds, etc.

Larry 

Thats the one with the Ptychosperma in it correct?

It should be fine at 33F, especially since Im sure it gets warmer than that during the day.

Yeah, Larry... It's been warming up to about 60f during the day when the sun comes out - and it has been very sunny.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Been beautiful the last couple days with more 70s predicted this week.  Average high temp is closing in on 70F.  Temps are going up!!!  I love it.

post-4-1170774320_thumb.jpg

Hi,

We have here some colder day's to ... i the night's a change to get some frost to between the 0 and -2C for the nights (32-28F) ... But the daytempeture are around the 5C = 41F ... But after thursday ... then it's over again! We go 5C = 41 F for the nigths and 10C or more for the day's (50F) ... :) But for now some colder day's with maybe some snowfall ...

So maybe febrauri will be mild again ?

Robbin

Southwest

No snow here as of yet....... just cold.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(syersj @ Feb. 06 2007,10:05)

Been beautiful the last couple days with more 70s predicted this week.  Average high temp is closing in on 70F.  Temps are going up!!!  I love it.

Jim,

I'm with you. Love to see the temps going up. Its been overcast, gloomy, rainy, and cool here, these past 3-4 days. I'm chilled to the bone and ready for some summer already.

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

No snow here as of yet....... just cold.

That's amazing Bobby.  Have you ever had a year go by without snow in New York?  I heard that even when NYC had no snow through December it was the first time in a very very long time.

We're having a nice day today.  It's 61F outside!!  The rest of the week will be cooler, but still much better than the cold we've had over the last couple weeks.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

That's amazing Bobby.  Have you ever had a year go by without snow in New York?  I heard that even when NYC had no snow through December it was the first time in a very very long time.

Steve,

I can remember many decembers without any snow, but NEVER into the beginning of February.. This is very rare.... Although many winters we get a few inches, it's only when the NorEasters come in that we get 1-2ft of snow. We still have a good 6 weeks left that can bring us snow so we're not out of the woods yet :(

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I can't take this cold anymore... HELP!!!!!!

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby

Sorry that winter has an especially painful sting this year.  First the balmy months of record warmth & then arctic air overwhelms the nation.

Only Florida has been spared  :cool:  Will be in Miami in a few weeks checking out Coconut Grove/Fairchild while the rest of my party act bored and impatient as I stop at every banyan tree  :P  

Still hoping that it will rain as the storm track moves closer to SoCal this weekend.   ???

LA : 69/50

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 08 2007,04:07)

I can't take this cold anymore... HELP!!!!!!

I feel exactly the same.  It's nothing like as cold here, but I'm working nights in an unheated warehouse with enormous roller doors that are permanently open and it's regularly -5°C/23°F in there this week, despite being warmer outside.  Spending 8 hours in that is really not my idea of fun.

We have been forecast snow again, but just rain at the moment, no surprise there.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Corey,

That sound like a real uncomfortable way to spend a day at work.  Those temperatures around 0 C are often worse than those that are colder.   When it gets way below zero the humidity gets frozen out of the air.  And, I imagine at minus 30 C they would not keep the doors open either.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(BobbyinNY @ Feb. 07 2007,16:18)

We still have a good 6 weeks left that can bring us snow so we're not out of the woods yet :(

Bobby,

with the extremely cold temperatures you've been getting lately you'd be better off with snow which would serve as insulation. We haven't got any snow yet neither...

I hope your weather improves soon - not for the sake of your palms (they'll be fine), but for your sake 'coz I would not want to pay your bills :-(

Do you know how your neighbor's R. hystrix has done so far unprotected?

Cheers, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Do you know how your neighbor's R. hystrix has done so far unprotected?

Jan, it's as green as ever.. beautiful... as is my golden bamboo. While we have been getting alot of really bad cold for almost a week now, as far as the USDA goes, we're still 7b becuase it hasn't dropped below 7f yet and the nights now are in the mid teens for a low. It's supposed to recover this weekend to around 38/24f respectively.. That will feel almost tropical compared to what we've been getting... Normal Highs/lows for this time of year is around 40/29f

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Surprise!

The forecast low for my town this AM was 51F.

I awoke to 42F!

And, my father's weather station (he lives a few miles south of me) logged 40F!

These weather forecasters must use an old church Bingo ball tumbler to choose overnight lows :D

Larry