IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Monterey cypress in Sri Lanka

doranakandawatta

For me this one is a magic tree who is whispering to the passing-by visitors. so many stories he is telling!

post-6735-0-01172200-1371584963_thumb.jppost-6735-0-40179600-1371585005_thumb.jppost-6735-0-79949100-1371585068_thumb.jp

post-6735-0-08207300-1371585041_thumb.jp

Cupressus macrocarpa, he must be 150 years old,

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

This is fascinating to me. This tree has such a small natural area and if this plant is 150 years old, sailing ships would have had to get seed there. I never would have guessed they could handle the tropics. They can live for a thousand years.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Is that a higher elevation area ? I have tried that cypress here a few times and it never makes it through the summer.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Is that a higher elevation area ? I have tried that cypress here a few times and it never makes it through the summer.

Hakgala BG is at 5400'

This is a fascinating post that I honestly doubted the ID of the species, but appears correct. Thanks for the info and pics.

Even at that elevation, it's truly amazing that C. macrocarpa succeeds there (or that someone decided to try it there). It has a very narrow range of tolerances where native in CA. Save your money; it won't make it in FL anywhere.

Also interesting: Cupressus macrocarpa as Sri Lankan Xmas Tree

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

From Wikipedia:

Hakgala Botanical Garden is situated on the Nuwara Eliya-Badulla main road, 16 km from Nuwara Eliya.
The garden has a cool temperate climate because of altitude is 5,400 feet above the sea level.
The mean annual temperature ranges between 16°C to 30°C during course of a year.

From December to February it has a cold climate, while the warm climate persists from April to August.

Garden established in 1861 as an experimental cultivation of Cinchona, a commercial crop thriving at the time.
Once after the Tea replace the Cinchona, it was turned into an experimental Tea cultivation.
In 1884 it transformed to a garden since then many sub tropical and some temperate plants were planted in the gardens.

Sorry, I was wrong: the cypress is not older than 130 years.

post-6735-0-58055900-1371659291_thumb.jp

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

I would suspect it to be C. luisitanica which is native from Mexico to Costa Rica but only at high elevations. It is closely related to Monterey Cypress but has different cultural requirements. The odd name is that the British first saw it in Portugal and thought it was native there. Rather it was a gift from a Spanish botanist who got it in Mexico to a Portuguese botanist.

Has anyone there or elsewhere say Argentina tried Moctezuma Cypress (Taxodium mucronatum)? It should do well with just normal garden water and loves wet soils along rivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxodium_mucronatum

There is a flowering Cornus florida in Hawaii. Selecting plants from the tropical edge of the range make for success. It is also native to parts of Mexico at elevations. As well there are many trees native to the US south and into Mexico that one would normally not think would be in the subtropics. Liquidambar and Nyssa (Tupelo) would be great in the subtropics if seed was obtained from southern Louisiana, Texas, Florida or Mexico. They'd be a nice althernative to endless London Plane trees and having a variety of trees prevents the usual problems associated with monoculture, that is disease and insect infestations.

Brian Bruning

I would suspect it to be C. luisitanica which is native from Mexico to Costa Rica but only at high elevations. It is closely related to Monterey Cypress but has different cultural requirements. The odd name is that the British first saw it in Portugal and thought it was native there. Rather it was a gift from a Spanish botanist who got it in Mexico to a Portuguese botanist.

Has anyone there or elsewhere say Argentina tried Moctezuma Cypress (Taxodium mucronatum)? It should do well with just normal garden water and loves wet soils along rivers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxodium_mucronatum

There is a flowering Cornus florida in Hawaii. Selecting plants from the tropical edge of the range make for success. It is also native to parts of Mexico at elevations. As well there are many trees native to the US south and into Mexico that one would normally not think would be in the subtropics. Liquidambar and Nyssa (Tupelo) would be great in the subtropics if seed was obtained from southern Louisiana, Texas, Florida or Mexico. They'd be a nice althernative to endless London Plane trees and having a variety of trees prevents the usual problems associated with monoculture, that is disease and insect infestations.

I too was thinking C. lusitanica at first. But the photos in the article I linked about Sri Lankan Xmas trees sure look like typical C. macrocarpa to me.

Liquidambar styraciflua in Mexico to Honduras

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Ken,

Do you know any sources for the Mexican or Central American Liquidambar ? That is an interesting article.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a