IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy "seedlings" zone 6b

nick1427d

Hey everyone first time posting. Been attempting to grow palms for about 2 years now. Have "killed" 2 larger Trachy due to rot and 1 needle over winter, none protected. I have about 20 Trachy seedlings with about 2 to 3 straps sitting in plastic pots at the moment. I'd like to have them permanently in the ground around my inground pool. I have some ideas on protection during winter and since I got these dirt cheap not terribly worried if a few don't make it.

Question is should I wait to plant these now, this fall, or next spring? It's getting very hot and humid here. Should they be planted in afternoon shade? Maybe wait till they get a bit bigger? Currently they are getting about 6 hours of full sun then afternoon shade. I thought about maybe putting a few in a shaded area near some rose of sharon I have that way as they get bigger they will get more sun and will tolerate it more.

Kind of missed the ball I think this year cause we've had so much rain everything's growing like crazy, except for my Robustas. :bummed:

Thanks for all your help!

We have them everywhere in our yard from full shade to full sun, but I think they'd prefer lots of sun. They seem fine with heat and humidity. I assume that the bigger they are, the better before they must battle the cold. So if you have a place to keep them out of the most severe weather another winter and then plant them in the spring perhaps that would be best.

They laugh at the snow in our zone 8 yard with no protection at any age, but we don't get the cold that you do. I hope others will chime in to better answer your questions.

Welcome and congratulations on your palm collection!

Cindy Adair

Thanks! The worse thing about our cold is one year it won't get below 20 then the next it's in the single digits. I think I may put a few in the ground where theres some shade and overwinter the others indoors.

Appaandssa is totally right-they will grow twice as fast in full sun, and if they are just seedlings and you are going to plant some in the ground now, then they will need all the growth this summer that you can give them. I would also add a bit of slow release fert to the ground as well. If you can protect them this winter with blankets wrapped around them when it gets really cold that will help too. Good luck with them!

• 1 year later...

I also live in a A 6b climate zone. Out temperature dips from year to year sound extremely similar to yours. Are you in the Southeastern US? Was wondering because if so, could easily give some pointers on how to get the needles and windmills to survive. I currently am growing Saw Palmetto, Sabal Minor, Sabal tamulipas, Sabal Palmetto, and Needle Palm. All are doing pretty well so far. Some are new and some survived the winter of 2913-14.

Welcome Nick! I'm in Canada Z6B with many seedlings of sabal minor and Pindo, all protected with mulch and leaves only, no heat. You'll be fine. Just keep them dry, and the cold will bounce off of them. My seedling managed last winters 'coldmegeddon', on a South facing wall. So if you plan on planting them close to the pool, make sure you do so in the south side if it's above ground. Both apandssa and kahili are correct, do plant them in the Spring with some Quick start fertilizer monthly. Once they mature, then go with the slow release fert.

Pineapple Dan

Burlington, On. USDA Z6B

Canada

Wow, you guys make my location seem warm. Zone 7a in coastal, central NJ. I lost two large (6ft+) Trachys last year but my Sabal minors came thru no problem with no protection at all despite the 4F on two occasions. I have TONS of seeds from the mother and LOTS of seedlings...its almost a weed! If anyone wants seeds/seedlings please let me know. I planted a Mazari palm this past summer but think it's already gone :( Good luck guys!

Welcome Nick! I'm in Canada Z6B with many seedlings of sabal minor and Pindo, all protected with mulch and leaves only, no heat. You'll be fine. Just keep them dry, and the cold will bounce off of them. My seedling managed last winters 'coldmegeddon', on a South facing wall. So if you plan on planting them close to the pool, make sure you do so in the south side if it's above ground. Both apandssa and kahili are correct, do plant them in the Spring with some Quick start fertilizer monthly. Once they mature, then go with the slow release fert.

That is awesome that your seedlings survived. Amazing what microclimates do for palms! Was talking with an individual in Ohio that was having trouble with needles. I am going to quote you and post on the forum I saw it on. Here is the topic I posted your quote under: Middle TN/South Central KY Palm enthusiasts. It is actually the topic I started. Edited by CumberlandPlants

Wow, you guys make my location seem warm. Zone 7a in coastal, central NJ. I lost two large (6ft+) Trachys last year but my Sabal minors came thru no problem with no protection at all despite the 4F on two occasions. I have TONS of seeds from the mother and LOTS of seedlings...its almost a weed! If anyone wants seeds/seedlings please let me know. I planted a Mazari palm this past summer but think it's already gone :( Good luck guys!

I would definitely be interested in some of you Trachy. seedlings at some point.

Hey everyone first time posting. Been attempting to grow palms for about 2 years now. Have "killed" 2 larger Trachy due to rot and 1 needle over winter, none protected. I have about 20 Trachy seedlings with about 2 to 3 straps sitting in plastic pots at the moment. I'd like to have them permanently in the ground around my inground pool. I have some ideas on protection during winter and since I got these dirt cheap not terribly worried if a few don't make it.

Question is should I wait to plant these now, this fall, or next spring? It's getting very hot and humid here. Should they be planted in afternoon shade? Maybe wait till they get a bit bigger? Currently they are getting about 6 hours of full sun then afternoon shade. I thought about maybe putting a few in a shaded area near some rose of sharon I have that way as they get bigger they will get more sun and will tolerate it more.

Kind of missed the ball I think this year cause we've had so much rain everything's growing like crazy, except for my Robustas. :bummed:

Thanks for all your help!

welcome to palm talk Nick!! You have come to the right place for all you palm questions.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Nick, sorry for the confusion but I only have Sabal minor seeds/seedlings...not Trachy. If your still interested, let me know.

Sorry about the confusion. Interestingly enough, my name is Nick too. It's funny how you hear your name and just assume people are talking to you.