IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

DESTRUCTION IN CENTRAL FLORIDA

BobbyinNY

There was an overnight storm that ripped through Central FL last night - Hundreds of homes have been destroyed.. It's all over the news.....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

We didn't have a real bad storm in Orlando, just about an inch of rain. Just to the north was where they hit, I guess a lot of homes damaged or destroyed and it sounds like there were some deaths. This is the 2nd outbreak of tornados in central FL this winter. This is because of the El Nino, FL usually doesn't get these severe type tornados.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Well about 6:00 AM I woke up to the loud rain and thunder/lightning but no significant wind in my area. It was pretty nasty!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Fourteen known deaths as of 10:45 this morning, according to the Orlando Sentinel.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I'm watching it on the news now, it looks really bad. Nothing's worse than a tornado hitting at night. About 20,000 people are without power, and search and rescue is underway. It looks like Volusia county was hit the hardest. I hope any forum members up that way did ok.  Some hardened houses about 100 years old were flattened, and newer concrete homes were destroyed. Four counties are now declared disaster areas, with maybe more being added to the list.

Ryan

South Florida

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Prayers for all who have been in the path of the tornados and lost homes and famiily members - what a tragedy.

Ryan wrote:

Nothing's worse than a tornado hitting at night

This is true.  And anyone in FL reading this - you really need to get a NOAA radio with the alarm.  It can be a lifesaver in these horrible night storms.

It is definitely El Nino - like the EN back in Feb 98, when killer tornados struck Central FL, again at night.  or the mess in '93.

Sometimes I think this state is cursed.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

We had torrential rains up here yesterday 3 1/2 inches and some lightning and tornado watch. I was going to comment on it but didn't really think much more about it after it quit. Sure didn't know this was going to happen downstate.......devestating.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

In case anyone is interested........

Back around last Christmas, the whooping cranes in Wisconsin were beginning their migration to FL - behind an ultra-lite aircraft.  The birds were being taught migration by a human.  Really amazing when you think of it.

When they made their landing in FL, they were greeted with cheers.  They were taken to the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge where they were kept behind the safety of netting for their protection.

All 18 cranes were killed by the storms.  Tragic.

And the human death toll is even higher.  It's now 20.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good