IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

bujubaeaF1

sonoranfans

While I live in a zone 9b, I still plant cold hardy palms because I think its always possible to have a 9a winter, even in the tampa area. If and when that happens I dont want to be wiped out of mature palms. So I grow a number of cold hardy palms on the coldest parts of my 0.3 acre yard. Out front is the cold hardy zone, and there are some nice choices to be had and plenty of blue or bluish choices. I recently had a 15 gallon bujubaea shipped from socal and I planted it a week ago. With this palm I am hoping for a similar look to the B x J in the late Dick Douglas garden. I have always loved Dicks cold hardy garden, and his bujubaea inspired me to get this one.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I obtained this palm from Phil Bergman at jungle music. Looking at the heavier leaflets, you can see characteristic with double tips that the jubaea blood often gives.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Looking at the spear, there is some bluish wax on petioles and some leaflet areas. This palm was in shade, now its in full sun. .It will be interesting to see if it" blues up" even more in sun. Im pretty sure this palm will laugh at any winter possible in tampa area.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

You live in the Tampa area?

I thought you were down in Manatee Co.?

- Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

While I live in a zone 9b, I still plant cold hardy palms because I think its always possible to have a 9a winter, even in the tampa area. If and when that happens I dont want to be wiped out of mature palms. So I grow a number of cold hardy palms on the coldest parts of my 0.3 acre yard. Out front is the cold hardy zone, and there are some nice choices to be had and plenty of blue or bluish choices. I recently had a 15 gallon bujubaea shipped from socal and I planted it a week ago. With this palm I am hoping for a similar look to the B x J in the late Dick Douglas garden. I have always loved Dicks cold hardy garden, and his bujubaea inspired me to get this one.

What is the origin of your Bujubaea, do you know?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Alberto,

Phil said it was from a grower from the san Francisco area, but not patric shafer. Apparently there is a guy up there with a big field(many acres) of flowering jubaeas and butias. I saw JxB F1's and BxJ F1 palms from this grower, very different looking palms. Phil hand picked 15 gallon palms from this guy, and I got a lesson on identifying hybrids. The jubaea mother palms have hooks on leaflets and v shaped leaflet crossections. The B x J are typically double tipped leaflets, with a thick, heavy leaflet(compared with butias) and a very satin grey green with some blue highlights. Older fronds also have the twist as seen in Dick Douglas fameous B x J. Even at 15 gallon size the J x B look a lot like nearby jubaeas, and very green. I decided I didn't want a jubaea mother plant since the florida environment isn't too good for JxB F1 hybrids. I also preferred the color of the B x J, grey green with some blue streaks. I wanted a little more tolerance of humidity so I though butia mother was a better fit for me. I also have some patric shafer hybrids Yatay x Jubaea, yatay x syagrus, and (BxJ)xJ, presumably from Dick Douglas walnut creek garden. So I'm experimenting with the jubaea blood content a bit to see what can be happy in palmetto FL.

Ray,

Yes I am in manatee near(2-3miles)the confluence of 75/275. the closest city is parrish, second closest is Ellenton, but technically its back country palmetto. I guess there was the district gerrymandering there... For at intents and purposes its tampa area weather. My lows look a lot like Ray in tampas lows, perhaps a degree lower.

Edited by sonoranfans
  • Upvote 1

Tom Blank

• 2 weeks later...

Alberto,

Phil said it was from a grower from the san Francisco area, but not patric shafer. Apparently there is a guy up there with a big field(many acres) of flowering jubaeas and butias. I saw JxB F1's and BxJ F1 palms from this grower, very different looking palms. Phil hand picked 15 gallon palms from this guy, and I got a lesson on identifying hybrids. The jubaea mother palms have hooks on leaflets and v shaped leaflet crossections. The B x J are typically double tipped leaflets, with a thick, heavy leaflet(compared with butias) and a very satin grey green with some blue highlights. Older fronds also have the twist as seen in Dick Douglas fameous B x J. Even at 15 gallon size the J x B look a lot like nearby jubaeas, and very green. I decided I didn't want a jubaea mother plant since the florida environment isn't too good for JxB F1 hybrids. I also preferred the color of the B x J, grey green with some blue streaks. I wanted a little more tolerance of humidity so I though butia mother was a better fit for me. I also have some patric shafer hybrids Yatay x Jubaea, yatay x syagrus, and (BxJ)xJ, presumably from Dick Douglas walnut creek garden. So I'm experimenting with the jubaea blood content a bit to see what can be happy in palmetto FL.

Ray,

Yes I am in manatee near(2-3miles)the confluence of 75/275. the closest city is parrish, second closest is Ellenton, but technically its back country palmetto. I guess there was the district gerrymandering there... For at intents and purposes its tampa area weather. My lows look a lot like Ray in tampas lows, perhaps a degree lower.

Ok! Thanks!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

beautiful F1..., stunning green/grey colour...

I love those hybrids..., are like a box of surprises, don´t know the final morphology until they reach adulthood ...

...yatay x jubaea must be very cool also..., I can´t wait to see mine wiht more size...

regards

beautiful F1..., stunning green/grey colour...

I love those hybrids..., are like a box of surprises, don´t know the final morphology until they reach adulthood ...

...yatay x jubaea must be very cool also..., I can´t wait to see mine wiht more size...

regards

Sergi,

It will be very interesting to see the yatay x syagrus hybrid variation, given the nice blue green color of butia yatay. It will be interesting to compare notes in the future. :) My yatay x syagrus comes from patric shafer in northern California. Where did you get your yatay x jubaea?

Tom Blank

hello Tom.

yes..., Buffy´s yatay x syagrus is really beauty, upright grow and nice colour..., i also buy some Patrick hybrids, I drooled when I saw some hybrid in your forum...yatai x queen, jubaea x queen, butia x parajubaea...

The yatay x jubaea was purchased at a European website two years ago as strip leaf seedling ... I think it starts to show details of Yatai ..., leaflets thin and leaf bases with vertical striations.
I'll post photos
ASAP.

regards

I found these photos from last year
yatay x jubaea is the left
side...

post-1753-0-84146600-1372313022_thumb.jp

post-1753-0-14818900-1372313050_thumb.jp

...i´ll post recent pics

Hi all

Here's a pic of my yatay x jubaea. It went pinnate last year and it's now picking up some speed.

Best regards

Flo

post-6290-0-40506200-1372351654_thumb.jp

Great looking hybrids sergei and Florian! We will have to compare notes as these hybrids grow. I will post a pic of my yatay x jubaea later today.

Tom Blank

hi Flow!

for sure, our palms are from the same seller...

regards

That is very probable! It's going to be very interesting to compare our plants over time. Unfortunately, I have no space left in my garden at the moment so it's going to stay potted for some more time..

maybe it will be a stylized and upright grow palm with thin leaflets ...

post-1753-0-40471100-1373175937_thumb.jp

can anyone share a pic with a good palm size??

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Update on my jungle music bujubaea F1. New growth seems to show the "hooks" while older growth is showing the split leaflet tips. this one seems to be growing nicely through spring now facing the wet summer season. . the bluish grey hue seems to have increased after being in the ground for a while

Tom Blank

Looks like it is going to be a fatty!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Here is my BxJ. Are these the "hooks" mentioned as a characteristic of this hybrid?

post-526-0-73438800-1425410204_thumb.jpg

Hooks

post-526-0-95659300-1425410272_thumb.jpg

post-526-0-70146900-1425410363_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Mine does not have any hooks or not that I'd noticed. But then again, I haven't had that close of a look last time. I still haven't got around to planting it. Pic form last year, sorry no close up of the leaf tips. Would be nice to see an update of sergis' plant too.

IMG_2160_zpsaqsrnjik.jpg

IMG_2162_zpstcn6vfho.jpg

Yours looks a lot more like butia than mine, Tank or does that come with age?

Edited by Flow

Ok.. just a question in regard to identifying hybrid lineage..

If a palm in question is Jubaea hybridized with Butia.. Would it have the characteristic of a Self-Cleaning trunk?

Vice Versa with Butia hybrids?

Or say if the parents both have naturally cleaning trunks.. the hybrid will also be self cleaning? As in..maybe Jubaea x Syagrus?

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

As far as the hooks go, I recall Merrill Wilcox posting to the effect that he's seen them on Butia too (?). But hybrids are known for them. Phil at Junglemusic.net documented photos of the hooks etc. on his blog when he was selling 15 gal. size hybrids a couple years ago. I think most of the photos are still online (if you have some time to peruse the blog).

Steve

• 2 years later...

An update of my yatay x jubaea from last summer.

I'm curious if anybody had damages on this palm in the recent cold you had.

IMG_20171005_181639_1515954179155.thumb.

IMG_20171115_101330_1515952946232.thumb.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Thank you. Yes so far I have protected it every winter although it should withstand -10 celsius for a short time.

But at my place you never know wether we receive a prolonged freeze up to one or two weeks.

On 1/14/2018, 10:38:01, maesy said:

An update of my yatay x jubaea from last summer.

I'm curious if anybody had damages on this palm in the recent cold you had.

IMG_20171005_181639_1515954179155.thumb.

IMG_20171115_101330_1515952946232.thumb.

Maesy: Your BxJ F1 seems to have more Jubaea in it than my JxBF2.  Very nice mule you have there. Are you in 8b?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, maesy said:

Thanks. Unfortunately not, I'm in 7b to 8a. This winter so far has been very mild, the opposit of yours.

My winter has been very mild also. I'm looking at cold 9b this winter back in December. Warm 9b this year so far. 

Your palm looks good for being out in the open, I haven't had to protect anything this year. Its been a while since I've had a 9b winter. LOL! 

Yeah its been the eastern half of the US thats been battered with the brutal winter... I see 40s and 50s in the forcast with maybe even some 60s so things might be looking up!

LOVE those thick trunk palms :D

LOWS 16/17 12F, 17/18 3F, 18/19 7F, 19/20 20F

Palms growing in my garden: Trachycarpus Fortunei, Chamaerops Humilis, Chamaerops Humilis var. Cerifera, Rhapidophyllum Hystrix, Sabal Palmetto