IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fertilizing Palm in Florida

_Keith

Fertilizing Palm in Florida, and it is safe to say this will spread to other places in the future. - k

Rain, yes; fertilizer, no Restrictions help keep chemicals out of bays and waterways

Published: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 at 1:00 a.m.
HERALD-TRIBUNE ARCHIVE
Lush Florida lawns like this one will have to go without certain fertilizers. From June 1 through Sept. 30, Sarasota and Manatee county ordinances ban the use of yard fertilizers containing nitrogen or phosphorus.

The average thunderstorm drops about 275 million gallons of water, weather experts say. What happens to that rain after it hits the ground, where it can pick up pollutants and carry them into estuaries, is of deep concern.

That is why coastal communities -- including Sarasota and Manatee counties -- enacted fertilizer restrictions that coincide with the rainy season, which got off to a surprisingly punctual start this week.

From June 1 through Sept. 30, the ordinances ban the use of yard fertilizers containing nitrogen or phosphorus. There's a danger that if those substances are used during the rainy season, they won't have time to be absorbed before heavy downpours arrive, flushing them into local waters. When that happens, the nitrogen and phosphorus in the runoff can contribute to algae blooms that harm the environment and habitat.

Cleaning up such problems is very expensive, so it's better to prevent them.

The hope is that rainy-season fertilizer restrictions will encourage a shift toward better yard-management strategies year-round.

In addition to the June-September ban, Sarasota's ordinance caps the amount of nitrogen and phosphorus that can be used annually. They also set training and certification requirements for commercial yard maintenance. For example, lawn chemical businesses are required to utilize "best management practices" when applying fertilizers. Grass clippings are to be kept out of storm drains; fertilizer spilled on impervious surfaces must be cleaned up so that it does not wash into rivers and estuaries. Year-round, areas very close to waterways must be kept free of fertilizers.

Advocates say that these steps have helped keep many tons of chemicals out of local waters. But compliance could be better, judging by some of the unnaturally green lawns visible around town.

Residents should recognize that it is in everyone's best interest -- theirs included -- to put away the fertilizer for now and, next fall, use it only in environmentally appropriate ways. The region's economy and quality of life hinge on clean waters. Who wants to swim, ski or fish in chemically laced runoff?

Sensible fertilizer policies are one of many steps necessary to manage storm water -- a challenge of vital importance. Public investments in retention ponds, piping and filtration are necessary, but development patterns matter, too. The more land we pave over, the less open space remains to absorb runoff or cleanse it before the water floods neighborhoods and damages estuaries.

Tree and greenspace preservation are essential to this effort. That is one reason why local governments are looking at ways to encourage more compact development that avoids sprawl.

Protecting our bays and rivers is a long-term challenge. But each home and business can make an immediate contribution, simply by following the fertilizer rules. The rainy season has arrived.

post-1207-0-35644600-1370351632_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Its said that a good rain can dissolve 90% of most fertilizer you put down and it will run off all at once. I just finished spreading 100lbs of florikote palm special on may 30. Rain will not wash florikote away because it is a membrane release fert. This is one reason why most palms in florida are K deficient as the potassium dissolves faster than other components in fertilizer and the big rains rinse it away NPK, non organic fertilizer is illegal in Pinellas county with one exception being golf courses. I think the membrane release fertilizer doesn't pose the same risks and should be legal during these times.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

God save us from bureaucratic do-gooders. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Never mind that if you miss the fertilizing "window" your plants will look sick all summer and there is nothing (legal) you can do.

Never mind that it is not just the analysis printed on the bag but the rate at which it is applied.

Never mind that there are coated slow release ferts that are perfectly safe (as Tom just pointed out).

Never mind that the biggest fert run-off offenders get an exemption.

Never mind that Nitrogen and Phosphorus are the same chemical whether they come from organic or inorganic sources.

Granted that the steps taken are well intentioned. Many are good ideas and make sense to be implemented. I think it is a little over the top to go all Fertilizer Nazi though.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

non organic fertilizer is illegal in Pinellas county with one exception being golf courses.

How is that fair?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

non organic fertilizer is illegal in Pinellas county with one exception being golf courses.

How is that fair?

Its not fair, of course, as these golf courses, as Jerry stated, are some of the principal sources of, NPK pollution. I do know that many golf courses use florikan time release as it only needs to be applied 1-2x(depending on formulation) a year. But if the golf courses/businesses can use it, homeowners should also be able to use it. Glad I don't live in Pinellas, I am a little concerned that manatee county is moving to this.

Tom Blank

While I hate bureaucracies and laws applied unequally as much as the next guy - I don't see a problem with keeping lawns green. I would prefer the "powers that be" would recommend/educate, rather than mandate, an acceptable solution - especially when one exists.

My lawn stays green fertilizing every six months without a problem. I use a time release fert when I get around to it - and a good well designed mulching mower - and I not only don't have to empty and dispose of lawn clippings, all the nutrients stay in the soil. This mower chops up the clippings so fine that after 6 years I have never experienced any thatch build up whatsoever.

The problem is that the bureaucrats feel they have to govern to the lowest common denominator. The thinking is you (the public) are not smart or responsible enough to handle anything without their "guidance." But golf course managers are.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

post-1729-0-36099200-1370379963_thumb.jp

The Garden Police are coming ...

It amazes me how governments make rules which would be nearly impossible to enforce. Last year the sale of fertilizer containing Nitrogen was banned in Pinellas Co. - So many just drove to the adjacent county. The solution is to mandate slow release fertilizer as previously stated in the thread. Most serious plant folks already use it.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Guess i"ll have to stock up in the legal months, then sneak out into my yard in the middle of the night and spread fertilizer!

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Guess i"ll have to stock up in the legal months, then sneak out into my yard in the middle of the night and spread fertilizer!

You got that right! Don't get me going about "Big Sugar" :rant:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Here in Lee County/Cape Coral there's been a "fertilizer blackout" for years.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Here in Lee County/Cape Coral there's been a "fertilizer blackout" for years.

Thats retarded!, Guess the next counties over do a booming fert business.

Jupiter FL

The problem is most people dump tons of fert on the grass, weather it needs it or not. Like wise with the water use. Everyone will suffer because of this. Well.. maybe everyone.

I think I remember hearing that people in some of these counties can get an exemption from the blackout by completing a course and passing a test.

This is exactly why we can't trust Joe Average to handle fertilizer responsibly, among so many other things. I think those expansive lawns should be outlawed altogether. They suck already-limited water resources and pollute our natural waterways. Florida needs to wake up when it comes to water and fertilizer use before the entire state implodes into a giant sinkhole/phosphate pit.

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

Why would anyone waste valuable Nitrogen or Phophorus on grass? Best regards Ed

This is exactly why we can't trust Joe Average to handle fertilizer responsibly, among so many other things. I think those expansive lawns should be outlawed altogether. They suck already-limited water resources and pollute our natural waterways. Florida needs to wake up when it comes to water and fertilizer use before the entire state implodes into a giant sinkhole/phosphate pit.
I think you missed the point Gina. the use of controlled release fertilizers, like florikan, does not lead to this issue as it prevents large releases of NPK with lots of rain. Also, there is a reason that the "sinkhole capital" of Florida is plant city, all the commercial farms. these farms use massive amounts of water even in winter to prevent crop damage. This is how sinkholes are made, by excessive water use in drought conditions. My area has been under water restriction for a year, 2x a week watering. the simple answer is to restrict fertilizer to proven time release ferts and to educate. I also agree with the "less grass is better" philosophy as grass is the biggest water pig. But it appears that our bureaucrats need more education than many gardeners.

Tom Blank

Who said I was talking about my lawn, and who said it's irresponsible the way I use it. Rather judgmental aren't you.

Jupiter FL

Problem isn't with the fert, its with the people.

Lets figure out how to cut Florida's population in half. Problem solved!

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I only uses Organic fertilizers for all my garden plants… its better for the environment, most people with brown lawns here… have signs that say… My lawn is not dead just dormant… Help save water.

I have one patch of lawn 3’ by 10’ and thats going to go next year. Thinking about putting in Yellow baby tears or thyme.

Edited by Palm crazy

Problem isn't with the fert, its with the people.

Lets figure out how to cut Florida's population in half. Problem solved!

Its not just numbers of people. I had a neighbor who ran his sprinklers every day in summer and apparently turned off his rain sensor. I remember seeing his sprinklers running during a downpour that had standing water over the grass at our border. Not only did he kill off his grass and feed the weeds, I'm convinced he killed a small butia and sabal causiarum of mine by spraying over on my yard dumping overhead water on my palm. they got spear pull in warm weather and never recovered. I decided to remove all my grass along each border as the overwatering was killing the grass anyway. Problem with the grass is that its a fertilizer pig, uses too much water and gets pests leading to insecticide applications. People in my area spend way more(5x?) money on maintaining their grass than I spend on my 50 plus palms. Less grass and a more educated homeowner would help a lot.

Tom Blank

This may sound stereotypical but is true nonetheless: Cape Coral is a city in which many retiree-landowners - almost all from elsewhere - take pride in perfectly manicured, green lawns. And they try to force their vision of verdant lawns on a landscape and climate of extremes of abundant rain followed by long periods of drought. That lush lawn they had in VA, NY, MA or MI faces almost insurmountable odds in SWFL. Yet these people force their vision of green paradise on the landscape with fertilizers, insecticides, fungicides and precious water. At least until recently, Cape Coral helped the lawnpushers' cause by mandating that all homesteads have a % of their lots in lawn. But in encouraging retirees to replicate the yards "up north" the City has reaped the whirlwind.

We have eliminated all grass in our backyard palm jungle - now just plants and mulch. On our new 3-lot site we have planted no grass and have gradually converted the property to plants and mulch. This week we established an 8x8' raised bed for cacti we collected along roadsides on our visit to Del Rio, TX. My husband took the opportunity to mulch another 150 sf of weedy sand to eliminate mowing. However, we have left 8' wide strips of lawn along the east and west sides of our house. How stupid, but we don't want to risk being dinged by the City for not enough lawn. Or turned in to Code Enfocement by a grass-loving anonymous neighbor. Our gardening efforts have drawn lots of scrutiny as it is.

Meg

Florida

Why would anyone waste valuable Nitrogen or Phophorus on grass? Best regards Ed

Good one Ed!! LOL! I don't fertilize my lawn, only the palms. When i do fertilize it's time-release and in small amounts so none is washed away.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Everything is not about you Redant. I would hope that the palm nerds on this site are more educated in the proper use and application of fertilizers than Joe Average. I am speaking of your attitude that "the rules don't apply to me" which the average person has. Joe Average does not use slow release fertilizer as slow release fertilizer represents less than 1% of fertilizer use worldwide.

I am perfectly familiar with Florikan since it's made right here in Sarasota, FL. Despite any polymer coating, synthetic fertilizer use acidifies the soil and contributes to the buildup of toxins and heavy metals, and the runoff pollutes the groundwater and waterways. They create a fertilizer dependency because the mycorrhizal fungi are killed off creating dead soil. They do nothing to improve soil structure and nutrient uptake for future plantings.

This is the same chemical dependency that is creating a serious situation with our food supply chain due to its unsustainability over the long term and leading to degradation of crop lands. This is not just an issue for palm lovers, but for the entire nation. We have to get back to organic gardening principles.

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

Everything is not about you Redant. I would hope that the palm nerds on this site are more educated in the proper use and application of fertilizers than Joe Average. I am speaking of your attitude that "the rules don't apply to me" which the average person has. Joe Average does not use slow release fertilizer as slow release fertilizer represents less than 1% of fertilizer use worldwide.

I am perfectly familiar with Florikan since it's made right here in Sarasota, FL. Despite any polymer coating, synthetic fertilizer use acidifies the soil and contributes to the buildup of toxins and heavy metals, and the runoff pollutes the groundwater and waterways. They create a fertilizer dependency because the mycorrhizal fungi are killed off creating dead soil. They do nothing to improve soil structure and nutrient uptake for future plantings.

This is the same chemical dependency that is creating a serious situation with our food supply chain due to its unsustainability over the long term and leading to degradation of crop lands. This is not just an issue for palm lovers, but for the entire nation. We have to get back to organic gardening principles.

Gina,

that is an interesting view that just isn't practical. Organics cost 3-4x and don't deliver a consistent nutrient/micronutrient supply over time in sandy soils. Also, 75% of all fertilizer use in florida is commercial farms, not including commercial businesses like golf courses etc,. the reality is that home owners only use perhaps 10-15% of all applied fertilizer in florida. Use organic fertilizer on all food, and prices will rise substantially as demand pressure on organic fertilizer will spike fertilizer prices even higher and this nation will not be able to even feed itself. Since florikan reduces runoff and waste up to 90%, much less fertilizer is used and the result is that the ground pH does NOT climb as with fast dissolution fertilizers. pH is all about rate of dissolution and dilution. pH of florida soils is dominated by commercial interests, not home owners. And organic application rates for effective gardening are certainly higher and will still effect pH, likely even more than a florikan garden. The "rules" apply mainly to the little guy who is only responsible for ~ 10%, the large commercial interests are not bound by those same "rules". A practical solution is the ONLY solution that will survive, no one is going to implement an organic mandate that makes food prices double or triple.

Tom Blank

Grass or turf is not necessarily the problem. It is, IMHO, more a turf species availability and selection. There are types of turf grass that will remain green with minimal water and fert. It is available but not on a large scale and it is more expensive. And, BTW, one species might work on the sandy coast and another inland, a third works better in central FL etc. My turf area is fairly large , by the standards I see listed here, but I don't have it just for the sake of a green lawn but to frame out my other landscaping. For this reason I am not too picky about "weed" type grass or other green low groundcovers growing in it.

In addition to species selection, proper cultural practices can make one lawn work while the next lawn looks like bat guano. I fertilized my lawn this spring for the first time in 2 or 3 years. It needed it but did not look horrible. It looks just as good as my neighbor's who irrigates and ferts often. It has been pretty wet here so I figure the number of times I had to irrigate my lawn in the past year I could count on two hands and still have a few fingers left over. I did NOT have to take my shoes off to count.

I have several Pinus elliottii densa in my yard. Anyone familiar with them knows that most of them will croak in the average suburban yard. Mine look much better than my neighbors, whose are sickly yellow. Granted I have lost a few but they have lost 2 or 3 times the number, mostly I think, because of excessive water and fert. When the only irrigation comes from rain, the soil remains more neutral or slightly acidic. Irrigate from a well and you bring up water stored in a limestone aquifer, your pH rises.

So, to make a short story long, I think most yards or landscapes can be managed better. I think the solution that works in one place won't work in another. I think that bureaucratic dictates are inherently ineffective and cause problems and contentious feelings where none existed before.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

My 5 cent worth on this is that it's a very very worthy cause. And I hate golf courses and to a lesser extent lawns.

No offence to people who like a bit of golf my dad was almost a pro, but does the world need so many f'ing golf courses? They destroy vast tracks of native flora/lands (mostly) to plant mono-crops of lawn that need constant watering, fertilising, pesticides, fungicides and herbicides. They are environmentally speaking a cess pit.

I think any given area, city/town should have one golf course. Not every suburb,village,resort. One large golf course and that's that. Its not a matter of reducing planning permission for Golf courses at the present but rather one of closing them down and turning those spaces back into places of sanctuary for flora and fauna, places of bio diversity that they once were. Places were people can roam too of course and not feel like they are being poodle draged through a city park but getting in touch with nature.

On this subject of bio diversity and polution gardeners should be planting as far as possible area specific native species these dont need much if any fertilizer or other chemicals. Problem solved.

Even for palm growers/collectors/gardeners choosing palms from around the world that flourish in the same climate/soil as the soil, climate insitu is the way to biuld up a terrific collection that will flourish with minimum use of polutants and not only that but actualy look good like they belong, a sense of place so lacking in many "disneyfied zones". All it takes is a very little disapline, hardly a problem with the huge diversity of palms growing in the world!

Edited by Cedric

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

I don't know the exact numbers but it seems like about half of the golf courses around here have gone bankrupt and are either abandoned or in the process of being converted to parks, commercial areas (residential or light industrial) or even cemeteries.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

An island in the Bahamas (Great Giana Key) gave permission for a golf course against the desires of the locals who forecast major damage the the reef just off shore from the course. I have been to this reef many times before and after the golf course. The locals where correct.

http://www.globalcoral.org/Save%20Guana%20Cay%20Reef%20Association%20Ltd.htm

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

Personaly I think this is very "happy happy". It is in fact quite incredible that the world is at last turning green. I had no idea there were fertiliser use restrictions in parts of America.

Of course there shouldn't be any exceptions especialy not to the worst offenders, but collectively home gardens make up a very big chunk. Agriculture and golf courses must be the biggest offenders.

These sorts of issues are very very long over due.

What interests me is how people adapt and what alternatives there are especialy for people with poor sandy soils for example like in Southern Florida. I know creating leaf litter and a layer of good top soil is not that difficult, just look in the forests on poor soils like the Amazon? Creating rather than amending soil is better long term maybe. Least it's the method I use.

Cerdic

An island in the Bahamas (Great Giana Key) gave permission for a golf course against the desires of the locals who forecast major damage the the reef just off shore from the course. I have been to this reef many times before and after the golf course. The locals where correct.

http://www.globalcoral.org/Save Guana Cay Reef Association Ltd.htm

Classic. A developers word is meaningless. They dont have a financial incentive once the units are sold. Just move on and wreck another part of the globe.

Cerdic

Many interesting posts here, although oddly not very helpful to the well-intentioned but neophyte SW Florida gardener who's interested in "fertilizing palms in Florida". We moved to Cape Coral from VT 3 years ago; have been feeding our palms the Vigoro "Palm & Ixora" fertilizer we find at Home Depot (8-2-8) 4 times a year, with an occasional helping of mg between feedings. Our palms are doing OK, though cocos & Christmases have white fly; we will be treating with a systemic and hope for the best.

My question: UFL Extension service & others recommend 8-2/4-12 + 4mg, but the only fertilizers I see online that come close to being so composed (including Florikote btw) seem to be available only to professional landscapers. Is our Vigoro treatment going to keep our palms healthy? If not, can someone break the code of silence and (shudder) mention a couple of brands and/or sources of good palm fertilizer that the home gardener in our area can buy? Thanks in advance!

Many interesting posts here, although oddly not very helpful to the well-intentioned but neophyte SW Florida gardener who's interested in "fertilizing palms in Florida". We moved to Cape Coral from VT 3 years ago; have been feeding our palms the Vigoro "Palm & Ixora" fertilizer we find at Home Depot (8-2-8) 4 times a year, with an occasional helping of mg between feedings. Our palms are doing OK, though cocos & Christmases have white fly; we will be treating with a systemic and hope for the best.

My question: UFL Extension service & others recommend 8-2/4-12 + 4mg, but the only fertilizers I see online that come close to being so composed (including Florikote btw) seem to be available only to professional landscapers. Is our Vigoro treatment going to keep our palms healthy? If not, can someone break the code of silence and (shudder) mention a couple of brands and/or sources of good palm fertilizer that the home gardener in our area can buy? Thanks in advance!

Vigoro palm food has the right nutrients but is not a slow time release fert. A good strong rain should rinse most of it away. I think there is a place on pine island where you can buy good slow release fert. Larry Joliffe("spockyvr6") told me about the place. Perhaps you could PM him and get a source. I believe its a feed store on pine island.

Tom Blank

Very good point obviously about the slow-release aspect, pretty important down here in rainy season (of which, by the way, I hope we really have one for a change). At one member's suggestion I have been exploring Lesco's palm and ornamental fertilizer (13-3-13) which is slow release and evidently available to home gardeners at John Deere; I was convinced I had already scouted this product out, but now I find it appears to be available at our CC Home Depot for under $40 (50 lbs.) I certainly have never found it there, and will believe it when I see it, namely when I pick up my systemic treatment for the white fly...

Very good point obviously about the slow-release aspect, pretty important down here in rainy season (of which, by the way, I hope we really have one for a change). At one member's suggestion I have been exploring Lesco's palm and ornamental fertilizer (13-3-13) which is slow release and evidently available to home gardeners at John Deere; I was convinced I had already scouted this product out, but now I find it appears to be available at our CC Home Depot for under $40 (50 lbs.) I certainly have never found it there, and will believe it when I see it, namely when I pick up my systemic treatment for the white fly...

I think the fert at pine island feed store is a membrane osmotic release, lesco is sulfur coated. the membrane osmotic feed has more consistent and longer release and I understand it costs the same.

Tom Blank

We buy Lesco at John Deere. However, many of my palms are prone to frizzletop and yellowing that even fertilizer with micros can't fix, esp. after winter. Earlier I learned that Southern Ag has introduced a micros only formula in granular form that has higher % of micros than you can usually find. I bought a 40lb bag from a source in Punta Gorda and treated about half the palms on my new property. I hope treat again in the fall to forestall nutrition problems next spring. I'd like to try some K-Mag from Deere this summer but our finanes may prevent that.

Meg

Florida

See if there is a Howard's Fertilizer nearby you. There are 7 Florida locations & generally a third the price of John Deere. I use their 8-2-12 "palm special" & supplement with their 0-0-22 K-Mag with great results.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

See if there is a Howard's Fertilizer nearby you. There are 7 Florida locations & generally a third the price of John Deere. I use their 8-2-12 "palm special" & supplement with their 0-0-22 K-Mag with great results.

Nearest facility seems to be in Immokalee which is quite a drive from me. May be cheaper but cost in fuel & time may not be worth it. But thanks for the tip.

Meg

Florida