John in Andalucia

"Chocolate" Geonoma

John in Andalucia

LJG, on 03 Jun 2013 - 23:52, said:snapback.png

John in Andalucia, on 03 Jun 2013 - 23:48, said:snapback.png

LJG, on 03 Jun 2013 - 23:22, said:snapback.png

John in Andalucia, on 03 Jun 2013 - 21:14, said:snapback.png

That's impressive, Len. Not sure if I still have one from Jeff's batch growing in Peru. It's at my girlfriend's place.

Speaking of Peru, I'm heading off to the Rio Tambopata in September, and organising a private guide to take us to look for palms. The Mauritia swamps will be easy enough to find, although this region is host to mainly Bactris and Geonoma. It's going to be so much fun. B)

Hmm. Wasn't that where Jeff Marcus got the Chocolate Geonoma?

Sorry Dave, off-topic for a second..

Is that the one he referred to as Geonoma tamandua var. macrostachya? Looking into it, there's a Geonoma tamandua which is a synonym of Geonoma macrostachys, in which case Len, it does grow around the Rio Madre del Dios, the source of the Rio Tambopata.

I don't remember the species name and I am not where I can check it. I remember seeing it the Marcus garden and it was one of the most impressive palms he had - and that says a lot. I think Dean took photos of it on his last visit to Jeff's.

Pedro 65

What Jeff calls "Chocolate" is Geonoma Atrovirens

John in Andalucia

What Jeff calls "Chocolate" is Geonoma Atrovirens

Pete, I believe that's a synonym for Geonoma macrostachys.

Pedro 65

John, it was thought to be a form of Macrostachya but its now very officially known as Atrovirens, Palmpedia has some nice pic including a beauty in the wild..The entire leaf Macro lacks the colour of Atrovirens , Australia's keenest collector/ world traveller to hunt down new sp calls it Atrovirens so I certainly follow suit, Jeff will stay with "Chocolate" no doubt as its a very very apt name for "future sales', who can't remember the name "Chocolate". Glad I have 1 Atrovirens ( Chocolate) and some on hold :)

realarch

Here's a pic from my last visit to Jeff's at the end of January.

Tim

post-1300-0-15828500-1370301765_thumb.jp

John in Andalucia

If I run into one in habitat, presumably I can I call it whatever I like? I'll tell the locals it's called "chocolata" and see what they say. :D

Pedro 65

If I run into one in habitat, presumably I can I call it whatever I like? I'll tell the locals it's called "chocolata" and see what they say. :D

Tell the locals its called Chocola and they will take you to this :)

post-5709-0-96573200-1370304491_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-61736700-1370304502.jpg

John in Andalucia

Who wouldn't want one of those, eh? I'm not going to find Geonoma chococola subsp. awaensis in Peru though, Pete. What I'm trying to work out is whether this former sub-species/variant of Geonoma macrostachys going by the synonym of Geonoma atrovirens (a.k.a. "Chocolate Geonoma") is found in the area that I'll be visiting in September, as Len was also asking if that's where Jeff Marcus got his. On second thoughts, I think I'll email Jeff and ask him where he saw it.

Pedro 65

Who wouldn't want one of those, eh? I'm not going to find Geonoma chococola subsp. awaensis in Peru though, Pete. What I'm trying to work out is whether this former sub-species/variant of Geonoma macrostachys going by the synonym of Geonoma atrovirens (a.k.a. "Chocolate Geonoma") is found in the area that I'll be visiting in September, as Len was also asking if that's where Jeff Marcus got his. On second thoughts, I think I'll email Jeff and ask him where he saw it.

While in Peru, cross the border into Ecuador , thats where Arden 1st collected seed "years ago" and his are now seeding, also the pic on Palmpedia of the wild specimen is taken in Ecuador.( below pic)

Steve from Ptalk ( sgvcns) posted a pic from of a large specimen in Colombia of Atroviren, Macrostachys, Chocolate..Whatever its name, and its had a few...Its a beauty :)

post-5709-0-47159100-1370338251_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-03685100-1370339474_thumb.pn

John in Andalucia

... Australia's keenest collector/ world traveller to hunt down new sp calls it Atrovirens...

Pete, just out of interest, who are you referring to here?