IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Chocolate" Geonoma

John in Andalucia

LJG, on 03 Jun 2013 - 23:52, said:snapback.png

John in Andalucia, on 03 Jun 2013 - 23:48, said:snapback.png

LJG, on 03 Jun 2013 - 23:22, said:snapback.png

John in Andalucia, on 03 Jun 2013 - 21:14, said:snapback.png

That's impressive, Len. Not sure if I still have one from Jeff's batch growing in Peru. It's at my girlfriend's place.

Speaking of Peru, I'm heading off to the Rio Tambopata in September, and organising a private guide to take us to look for palms. The Mauritia swamps will be easy enough to find, although this region is host to mainly Bactris and Geonoma. It's going to be so much fun. B)

Hmm. Wasn't that where Jeff Marcus got the Chocolate Geonoma?

Sorry Dave, off-topic for a second..

Is that the one he referred to as Geonoma tamandua var. macrostachya? Looking into it, there's a Geonoma tamandua which is a synonym of Geonoma macrostachys, in which case Len, it does grow around the Rio Madre del Dios, the source of the Rio Tambopata.

I don't remember the species name and I am not where I can check it. I remember seeing it the Marcus garden and it was one of the most impressive palms he had - and that says a lot. I think Dean took photos of it on his last visit to Jeff's.

What Jeff calls "Chocolate" is Geonoma Atrovirens

Pete, I believe that's a synonym for Geonoma macrostachys.

John, it was thought to be a form of Macrostachya but its now very officially known as Atrovirens, Palmpedia has some nice pic including a beauty in the wild..The entire leaf Macro lacks the colour of Atrovirens , Australia's keenest collector/ world traveller to hunt down new sp calls it Atrovirens so I certainly follow suit, Jeff will stay with "Chocolate" no doubt as its a very very apt name for "future sales', who can't remember the name "Chocolate". Glad I have 1 Atrovirens ( Chocolate) and some on hold :)

Here's a pic from my last visit to Jeff's at the end of January.

Tim

post-1300-0-15828500-1370301765_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

If I run into one in habitat, presumably I can I call it whatever I like? I'll tell the locals it's called "chocolata" and see what they say. :D

If I run into one in habitat, presumably I can I call it whatever I like? I'll tell the locals it's called "chocolata" and see what they say. :D

Tell the locals its called Chocola and they will take you to this :)

post-5709-0-96573200-1370304491_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-61736700-1370304502.jpg

Who wouldn't want one of those, eh? I'm not going to find Geonoma chococola subsp. awaensis in Peru though, Pete. What I'm trying to work out is whether this former sub-species/variant of Geonoma macrostachys going by the synonym of Geonoma atrovirens (a.k.a. "Chocolate Geonoma") is found in the area that I'll be visiting in September, as Len was also asking if that's where Jeff Marcus got his. On second thoughts, I think I'll email Jeff and ask him where he saw it.

Who wouldn't want one of those, eh? I'm not going to find Geonoma chococola subsp. awaensis in Peru though, Pete. What I'm trying to work out is whether this former sub-species/variant of Geonoma macrostachys going by the synonym of Geonoma atrovirens (a.k.a. "Chocolate Geonoma") is found in the area that I'll be visiting in September, as Len was also asking if that's where Jeff Marcus got his. On second thoughts, I think I'll email Jeff and ask him where he saw it.

While in Peru, cross the border into Ecuador , thats where Arden 1st collected seed "years ago" and his are now seeding, also the pic on Palmpedia of the wild specimen is taken in Ecuador.( below pic)

Steve from Ptalk ( sgvcns) posted a pic from of a large specimen in Colombia of Atroviren, Macrostachys, Chocolate..Whatever its name, and its had a few...Its a beauty :)

post-5709-0-47159100-1370338251_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-03685100-1370339474_thumb.pn

... Australia's keenest collector/ world traveller to hunt down new sp calls it Atrovirens...

Pete, just out of interest, who are you referring to here?