IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus princeps hybrid

Raniked

Here's mine. I planted it out in March. It grows well if it gets a little sun or warmth but in the last weeks we've had nothing but rain and grey sky..so not much movement. I'd like to know whether there actually is a princeps hybrid or if it's just a princeps from some other location..

But yours looks more like nova to be. Where did you buy it?

best

Flo

post-6290-0-88149000-1370108534_thumb.jp

I also have three of these from Gardenpalms/Mypalmshop, they are called there Princeps New Form. As young plants they are variable in leave shape and colour, the three plants I have look very different from each other. Don't know how they will develop look when bigger. They are very fast growers compared to Princeps and first signs of its cold resistance also look good. Don't know wether this a new princeps from a different location or a hybrid, whatever it may be I think it is agreat Trachycarpus wich defenitly deserves more attention.

post-1964-0-18748600-1370119790_thumb.jp

post-1964-0-51814200-1370119823_thumb.jp

post-1964-0-04523900-1370119925_thumb.jp

post-1964-0-53365100-1370119945_thumb.jp

I also have three of these from Gardenpalms/Mypalmshop, they are called there Princeps New Form. As young plants they are variable in leave shape and colour, the three plants I have look very different from each other. Don't know how they will develop look when bigger. They are very fast growers compared to Princeps and first signs of its cold resistance also look good. Don't know wether this a new princeps from a different location or a hybrid, whatever it may be I think it is agreat Trachycarpus wich defenitly deserves more attention.

That's not princeps, princeps is totally white underneath. You have nova.

Mine comes from Hardy-palms and looks like the one you have matt on the first pic (bottom left)

You can really see Princips in some of these crosses. I have a true Princips and it is very slow for me.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Axel I think they look different from Nova, there is much more similarity with Princeps. I have a Nova that is a little bigger but it has never looked like this. Some think they are a hybrid between Nova and Princeps. Len that is why I think that they bring the best of both worlds: Princeps look and fast growth.

Here's mine. I planted it out in March. It grows well if it gets a little sun or warmth but in the last weeks we've had nothing but rain and grey sky..so not much movement. I'd like to know whether there actually is a princeps hybrid or if it's just a princeps from some other location..

best

Flo

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice little T. princeps! Certainly my favourite Trachy!!

BTW Where in the world is "Solothurn" ?????

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Very nice Trachys,Mathijs!!! Cool you folks in Europe can buy all this palms..!!!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

best

Flo

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice little T. princeps! Certainly my favourite Trachy!!

BTW Where in the world is "Solothurn" ?????

Alberto, Solothurn is in Switzerland about halfway between the capital Bern and Basel which you might know. I forgot to add the country in my profile:-) By the way I have no idea what zone I'm actually in.. Record low in the last ten or fifteen years has been -16.5.

My palm also comes from gardenpalms so it should be princeps new form/ hybrid. It is more slender than my princeps and the petioles seem even thinner.

Edited by Flow