IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

indoor cat palm - I'm killing this thing

Terdferguson

Help, I'm systematically killing this beautiful new palm Not sure if I am over or underwatering. I water every 3-5 days I would say. It's in a corner by a window, gets no direct light, only indirect. The stalks of the fronds are all shriveling up and turning into little skinny needly stalks. The leaves turn an olive color and kind of shrivel up and die. The fronds also end up bending in half and falling over. This happened on all the lower fronds first and now is starting on the uppers. Also, they turn kind of mushy and and soft, and that's why they are bending in half. I really like the look of the palm and am willing to buy another one if this one's a goner, but I need to figure out what i'm doing wrong first. Here are some pictures....

post-7686-0-27626900-1369935714_thumb.jp

post-7686-0-95040000-1369935714_thumb.jp

post-7686-0-50686400-1369935715_thumb.jp

post-7686-0-18901600-1369935716_thumb.jp

post-7686-0-75878100-1369935716_thumb.jp

post-7686-0-18728000-1369935717_thumb.jp

post-7686-0-71335000-1369935717_thumb.jp

Chamaedorea cataractum likes lots of water. But spider mites love it, and I think that's your problem. Treat immediately, don't delay, or the palm is toast.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Credit to Matty B for this. Get a spray bottle filled with warm water and liquid soap. Dish soap. Hand soap. Whatever. Spray away.

I did and it saved at least two of my palms. You will have to do multiple applications over time to finally win the battle.

How cold is your house? I'd put it outside in the shade for the summer. If it's spider mites, the humidity should knock them back. If it's rot (due to cool temperatures - AC - and being wet), the Tampa heat should help.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

mid to upper 70s in my house. So if it's rot, that means I've given it too much water? I just bought this plant, can spider mites destroy it this quickly (2 weeks)? The other thing this could be (and my wife reminded me of this today), is heat damage. When we bought this plant and another one, we put it in the car and it was blazingly hot in there. The plants stayed in there for 20-30 minutes before we turned on the car and cooled it down. The other plant was destroyed by the heat rather quickly, all damage showed up in the first couple days. Perhaps this is damage from that heat but has taken longer to show up in the palm.

It could be heat related. It doesn't take a lot to damage sensitive plant tissue. Like boiling spinach. A damaged palm will be more at risk for rot, spider mites and all kinds of other nasties.

There is good advice for you in this thread. You might consider treating with hydrogen peroxide in addition to the other steps mentioned.

mid to upper 70s in my house. So if it's rot, that means I've given it too much water? I just bought this plant, can spider mites destroy it this quickly (2 weeks)? The other thing this could be (and my wife reminded me of this today), is heat damage. When we bought this plant and another one, we put it in the car and it was blazingly hot in there. The plants stayed in there for 20-30 minutes before we turned on the car and cooled it down. The other plant was destroyed by the heat rather quickly, all damage showed up in the first couple days. Perhaps this is damage from that heat but has taken longer to show up in the palm.

It's difficult to over-water C. cataractarum, so my guess would be heat damage - especially since it showed up so quickly. I still think your best bet is to keep it outside in the shade until it recovers - the cool, dry indoor air isn't doing it any favors. Treating with hydrogen peroxide (pouring into affected areas) wouldn't hurt, either.

Tom

Bowie, Maryland, USA - USDA z7a
hardiestpalms.com

• 7 years later...