IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring Planting - Who wants to start a betting pool on what dies

_Keith

Dypsis decipiens is greening up. I think that puppy is still with us.

:greenthumb: was it protected at all?

No, but it in the absolute best microclimate I have. South wall, brick, against gable side of roof (dry). It would have seen no frost or ice, just cold.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I think the Caryota will be the first to go. This is it a little over a week after our first very mild freeze, and it was protected by an upside down 5 gallon bucket over the top of it.

I'm in the prize pool! :innocent:

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

5 Queen Palm 'Supernova' (Syagrus romanzoffiana 'Supernova') - One probably survived, but thinking it was dead like the previous 4 I killed it for sure

1 Windamere Palm (Trachycarpus latisectus) - Looking good
3 Caranday Palm (Copernicia alba) - We may have one survivor after all.
2 Silver Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens 'Silver') - No damage I can determine as being from cold, but they don't look at that great. I am questioning their ability to thrive in my soils and climate.
4 Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera 'Maktoom') - One still alive, and it was the smallest runtiest one, too.
1 Jaggery Palm (Caryota urens) - Dead

2 Cretan Date Palm (Phoenix theophrasti) - Looking good, pushing new spears

1 Manambe Palm (Dypsis decipiens) - Amazingly this one, in my best microclime, but unprotected, is pushing new growth..

1 Pygmy Date Palm (Phoenix roebelenii) - Will probably lose the largest trunk, but several others have nice green foliage.

2 Bizmarkia (Bismarckia nobilis) (a supposed cold hardy green form, I know, don't say it) - These were mislabeled Sabal minor.

Other stuff

4 B. alfredii - The foliage on these palms continues to decline, but a couple of them have pushed some very anemic looking new spears.

A. engleri - This palm looked almost unaffected until started to warm up, now estimating 80% foliage loss

4 Rhapis - The leaves that spotted, and then returned to look normal have not turned solid brown as the heat comes. They will come in around 50% foliage loss overall.

Australian Tree Fern is fine, and has thrown up two new fronds or whatever you call them.

Earpod tree - Main trunk alive and new growth emerging up to the 10 foot level, have to say after that.

Erythrina crista-galli - had new growth emerging at the 6 foot high mark, on branches over 3 inches in diameter. It was kind of getting out of control anyway to I cut it back much harder than needed for cold damage.

Ponderosa Lemon - These things are just not very cold hardy, suspect I lost it.

Guava (unknown, but really tasty) - Was just now fully recovering from 2010, I am afraid this freeze might have taken it out for good.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I know that RPSDC marks the Caryota Urens as quite hardy, but it has been my experience limited as it may be that C. Mitis tolerates bad winters better, even winters where it froze and the main trunk was killed off, the suckers sprung up to take their place. The suckers of C. Mitis don't seem to grow as fast but they do make a nice thick clump.

• 4 weeks later...

Final Update

Update!

5 Queen Palm 'Supernova' (Syagrus romanzoffiana 'Supernova') - Dead

1 Windamere Palm (Trachycarpus latisectus) - Stellar
3 Caranday Palm (Copernicia alba) - 1 survivor
2 Silver Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens 'Silver') - alive but looked like crap before, alive and look like crap now
4 Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera 'Maktoom') - 1 survivor.

2 Cretan Date Palm (Phoenix theophrasti) - looking good

1 Manambe Palm (Dypsis decipiens) - healthy..

1 Pygmy Date Palm (Phoenix roebelenii) - alive, barely.

2 Bizmarkia (Bismarckia nobilis) hese were mislabeled Sabal minor, looking stellar.

Other stuff

4 B. alfredii - all pushing new fronds

A. engleri - This palm looked almost unaffected until started to warm up, now estimating 80% foliage loss

4 Rhapis - The leaves that spotted, and then returned to look normal have not turned solid brown as the heat comes. They will come in around 50% foliage loss overall.

Australian Tree Fern - total foliage loss, but fine

Earpod tree - Main trunk alive and new growth emerging up to the 10 foot level, looks like all growth over 3 inches in diameter survived, under that size id dead

Erythrina crista-galli - growing back at an incredible rate.

Ponderosa Lemon - Returning

Guava (unknown, but really tasty) - Goner

So, there you have it, half of the seedlings made it, and after one hell of winter. Better than I would have guessed going into a normal winter, much less this one.

• 1 year later...

I found this old thread looking for another.   Anyway, I thought I would bump and update myself a bit over 2 years later.    Remember, it was a bad bad winter that year.

5 Queen Palm 'Supernova' (Syagrus romanzoffiana 'Supernova') - All dead.

3 Caranday Palm (Copernicia alba) - Dead
2 Silver Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens 'Silver') - I dead, one growing slooowly.
4 Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera 'Maktoom') - Dead

2 Cretan Date Palm (Phoenix theophrasti) - 1 dead, one growing slooowly

1 Manambe Palm (Dypsis decipiens) - Alive, but looks no different.  3 fronds,

1 Pygmy Date Palm (Phoenix roebelenii) - Pretty much dead, but on offshoot alive

2 Bizmarkia (Bismarckia nobilis) (a supposed cold hardy green form, I know, don't say it) - These were likely mislabeled Sabal minor.  I did lose one this summer, in a drought, to crown rot.   Hmmm.

4 B. alfredii - In spite of unfriendly winters, they continue to push slighly past where they were the year before.  If only they could catch a couple of mild winters in a row, it could get interesting.

A. engleri - After 80% foliage loss in the winter from hell, it has recovered and surpassed where it was.

4 Rhapis - After 50% foliage loss overall, they are just now, 2 years later starting to look decent.

Australian Tree Fern is fine.

Earpod tree - Main trunk live and now it is around 15 feet.  Tough tree.

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2015, 6:32:58, _Keith said:

I found this old thread looking for another.   Anyway, I thought I would bump and update myself a bit over 2 years later.    Remember, it was a bad bad winter that year.

5 Queen Palm 'Supernova' (Syagrus romanzoffiana 'Supernova') - All dead.

3 Caranday Palm (Copernicia alba) - Dead
2 Silver Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens 'Silver') - I dead, one growing slooowly.
4 Date Palm (Phoenix dactylifera 'Maktoom') - Dead

2 Cretan Date Palm (Phoenix theophrasti) - 1 dead, one growing slooowly

1 Manambe Palm (Dypsis decipiens) - Alive, but looks no different.  3 fronds,

1 Pygmy Date Palm (Phoenix roebelenii) - Pretty much dead, but on offshoot alive

2 Bizmarkia (Bismarckia nobilis) (a supposed cold hardy green form, I know, don't say it) - These were likely mislabeled Sabal minor.  I did lose one this summer, in a drought, to crown rot.   Hmmm.

4 B. alfredii - In spite of unfriendly winters, they continue to push slighly past where they were the year before.  If only they could catch a couple of mild winters in a row, it could get interesting.

A. engleri - After 80% foliage loss in the winter from hell, it has recovered and surpassed where it was.

4 Rhapis - After 50% foliage loss overall, they are just now, 2 years later starting to look decent.

Australian Tree Fern is fine.

Earpod tree - Main trunk live and now it is around 15 feet.  Tough tree.

Sounds like the Louisiana version of the Garden of Doom Death Camp. :o

The Australian Tree Fern is so decieving. How can such a delicate looking plant be so cold hardy?

The plant world has so many surprises and anomalies!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B