IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Urine makes a great palm fertilizer...........

trioderob

The Chinese farmed the same lands for over 4000 years without fertilizer by recycling every thing, including their own liquid and solid waste.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Sounds like fertilizer to me! :rolleyes:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I'll tell you...I have a certain coconut in my sideyard whose fruits taste much sweeter than the other ones in the front...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Both Garin and Dick Douglas were proponents of peeing on palms. I do it too. But a caveat. The soil must be moist and not in the same spot all the time. Nitrogen can burn plants and although pee is a weak solution if one gets enough water to drink it can build up. We have heavy clay here in Oakland so salts could build up.

I too get problems from female dogs. I try to keep the soil moist and do the best I can but get annoyed by those that let their dogs run loose or walk them and let them piss on my lawn or worse yet...

I work hard to have a nice yard and those burn spots are really annoying. I've had to tell more than a coupla people to get their dog off my lawn, get a plastic bag or even handed them one. They act embarrased but only because they got caught. They are careless and lazy.

Brian Bruning

anyone try it based on my thread ?

classic thread. Take a multi-vitamin first, and hit em with the true yellow stuff, lol. Centrum has all of the palm micros needed.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot believe this thread has gone dormant. So, for the ultimate micro treatment, Centrum Silver expelled and mixed 1-10 with water. We'll see.

Each Tablet Contains% Daily Value

Vitamin A (40% As Beta-Carotene)2,500IU50%Vitamin C60mg100%Vitamin D500IU125%Vitamin E50IU167%Vitamin K30mcg38%Thiamin1.5mg100%Riboflavin1.7mg100%Niacin20mg100%Vitamin B63mg150%Folic Acid400mcg100%Vitamin B1225mcg417%Biotin30mcg10%Pantothenic Acid10mg100%Calcium220mg22%Phosphorus20mg2%Iodine150mcg100%Magnesium50mg13%Zinc11mg73%Selenium55mcg79%Copper0.5mg25%Manganese2.3mg115%Chromium45mcg38%Molybdenum45mcg60%Chloride72mg2%Potassium80mg2%Boron150mcg*Nickel5mcg*Silicon2mg*Vanadium10mcg*Lutein250mcg*Lycopene300mcg** Daily Value not established

Minus of course, whatever my body needed.

Keith :-)

This thread will never go dormant for long . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I am gonna spend weekend in my garden, therefore I bring with me a dozen beer and coca cola cans plus a couple of mineral water bottles (I prefer the cocktail for my palms) :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

why waste ammonia and organic nitrogen to the sewers ! --- Get it back in teh terrestial nitrogen cycle and not the water ways ! My motto

Best regards

Ed

dem palms sho do love dat urine

make em grow real tall

I guuuaranteee...................

"Laisser le bon temps rouler"..................... :rolleyes:

Edited by trioderob

• 9 months later...

folks-

I have switched things up a little bit.

now the urine does not go on the palms - but is used exclusively as "rocket fuel" on the compost heap.

using this rocket fuel i am getting hot compost 160-165f after 3 days.

finished compost is now taking a total of 18 days - this would take 8 months with cold composting.

fresh compost is added to the palms every 2 months.

the fresh compost produces "compost tea" for the first few waterings - giving me a dark green color which is what I am striving for,

all manner of insect life can be found in the compost.

Edited by trioderob

folks-

now the urine does not go on the palms - but is used exclusively as "rocket fuel" on the compost heap.

finished compost is now taking a total of 18 days - this would take 8 months with cold composting.

the fresh compost produces "compost tea" for the first few waterings - giving me a dark green color which is what I am striving for,

It looks like I'm going to have to reposition my compost bin, otherwise my neighbors might get to know me better than I'd like them to.

There is no smell.

I did add jacaranda flowers to the mix just in case............................................. :bemused:

I fertilise my palms this way sometimes and I can attest to the fact that some are more sensitive to the urea than others. My Synechanthus fibrosus is particularly vulnurable and gets leaf burns that turn black with loss of tissue if the "solution" is not diluted well and splashes on the leaf.

I would imagine that yellow urine is more effective as the colouration comes from breakdown of the urea into ammonia..or is it?

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Rob, you need a composting toilet. Since you have that avatar, it seems timely to talk about those composting toilets. Which ones are the best?

The one I would pick is the Biolet 25: http://www.biolet.com/store/biolet-25-c-3/biolet-25-waterless-toilet-p-5. You poop in it, add some peat moss, and it does the rest for you. Every couple of months you just empty the drawer into your palm garden. It makes great fertilizer. The only reason they're not in use because apparently emptying the drawer and adding peat moss instead of water is apparently too challenging for most people. Well, and the price, of course. ($2K, way too expensive.)

20_MED.jpg

I have been peeing around my yard and in the compost pile for years. I have never noticed any burning on the plants. I try not to use the same area often and spread the wealth around.

I have a friend that has been using a composting toilet for about 20 years. Looks just like the one in the pic Axel posted. I am going to visit this summer and will ask about using the waste for fertilizer. I am sure he probably does as they live off grid.

<p> http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=32901

I didn't kill that plant. It committed suicide.

thats too yucky for me.

on a serious note - the amount of water used to flush urine is staggering.

lets say a person pee 6-8 times a day.

thats 7 x 7 gallons a flush = approx 50 gallon a day per person / 5 people in a house is 250 gallon per day.

250 x 365 = 91,250 gallons per year

which makes more sense flush away or put the 91,500 gallons per year on the palms ????

if everyone in just san diego did this we are talking BILLIONS of GALLONS SAVED !!!!!

Edited by trioderob

thats too yucky for me.

thats 7 x 7 gallons a flush = approx 50 gallon a day per person / 5 people in a house is 250 gallon per day.

which makes more sense flush away or put the 91,500 gallons per year on the palms ????

Dude, what are you doing with an old 7 gallon flush? We have a 1.6 gallon flush, it works much better than our old crappy toilets. They're cheap, available at home depot for less than $200. Anyone with a 7 gallon flush is really wasting water.

folks-

Can this work also of fresh wood chips? :yay:

never said I had a 7 gallon loader,

just was saying that its typical for them to use 6-8 gallons from what I read on line.

folks-

Can this work also of fresh wood chips? :yay:

no - wont work.

the mix has to be right for it to light off to 170f where the microbial life has increased to the point were decomposition is almost instantaneous.

remember what I wrote- I am getting 8 months of decomposition in approx 18 days.

I am talking hot steaming compost.

makes the palms grow like nuts !

That's what a composting toilet does but in a mini-controlled environment. Why are you disgusted by this?

thing about the urine is its so easy.

just wizz in a decanter and throw it on the heap.

you should go for the toilet AXEL - report how well it works on the forum.

Edited by trioderob

Rob, can you send me $2K? It would be a great investment to advance the knowledge of palm growing and composting toilet. Such an investment opportunity comes around only once in your lifetime.

trioderob, wizz is one thing, but are you willing to try with the more heavier stuff? When you gotta go you gotta go...

Since reading this post, i tell all of my friends to pee outside near their favorite palm. To most they all look the same, so I steer them in the right direction. Girls, must go to the toilet. Sounds like they are too harsh.

I’ve really notice a lot of big changes to my garden since I’ve been using urine and fish fertilizer together. All plants have exploded with new and bigger growth. Also, cats in the neighborhood spend all day in my garden they leave there Dippity Do to help fertilize. (something I can’t control!)

Edited by Palm crazy

Both Garin and Dick Douglas were proponents of peeing on palms. I do it too. But a caveat. The soil must be moist and not in the same spot all the time. Nitrogen can burn plants and although pee is a weak solution if one gets enough water to drink it can build up. We have heavy clay here in Oakland so salts could build up.

I too get problems from female dogs. I try to keep the soil moist and do the best I can but get annoyed by those that let their dogs run loose or walk them and let them piss on my lawn or worse yet...

I work hard to have a nice yard and those burn spots are really annoying. I've had to tell more than a coupla people to get their dog off my lawn, get a plastic bag or even handed them one. They act embarrased but only because they got caught. They are careless and lazy.

People who let their dog shit on your lawn are slobs when they are walking their dog, as well as slobs in life.

I have a very big dog, what relentlessly pees on my Bismarckia. I don't know what it has been doing for it, if anything, but it hasn't skipped a beat. Right around the perimeter, maybe 2 - 4 feet from the trunk. Maybe around a liter a day, for 3 years.

I pee on it sometimes as well, but usually not.

AND, if properly and consistently applied Urine makes a great herbicide as well. Not only will that troublesome weed die, but it will be months before anything grows there again.

thats too yucky for me.

Dude, what are you doing with an old 7 gallon flush? We have a 1.6 gallon flush, it works much better than our old crappy toilets. They're cheap, available at home depot for less than $200. Anyone with a 7 gallon flush is really wasting water.

Even better, You both need dual flush toilets. Button #1 for #1 = 1 gal & button #2 for #2 = 1.6 gal. That'll save you 6 gallons per flush. Or 'if it's yellow, let it mellow' :)

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Do people still use toilets...?

I thought everyone peed in the sink to save water.... :rant:

One thing you have to watch for when fertilizing around here

is the cops-you can be put on the sex offenders list if you are

seen fertilizing your garden. :hmm:

AND, if properly and consistently applied Urine makes a great herbicide as well. Not only will that troublesome weed die, but it will be months before anything grows there again.

OBJECTION, I pee frequently on a certain spot and nevertheless weeds keep popping up. On the contrary urine helps also palm seeds germinate!

• 4 years later...

I need to pee.. thus I bumped this thread.. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!