IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Urine makes a great palm fertilizer...........

trioderob

Darold might be the first to get caught in the act. Isnt his Ceroxylon planted in FRONT of his house?

Grant
Long Beach, CA

I have a super sized bottle palm and attribute its size to my male dog stopping buy every day.

post-1122-0-77750800-1369854137_thumb.jp

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

All those years and all those wasted gallons I could have used. All of my palms could have been flamethrowers by now.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

All those years and all those wasted gallons I could have used. All of my palms could have been flamethrowers by now.

No worries no water wasted. In Hilo mother nature pees on the palms for you.

• WOW 649 view in less than 3 days!
  • Great and popular thread.
  • Very informative and usefull information
  • Just goes to show you what a unique and interesting group palm enthusiasts make.........
  • :D Joie de Vivre :drool:

Glad that nobody has said they do number 2 on there palms

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Way to go Jeff, I was waiting for that comment.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

And for the record.... I have not.

There's a time and place for everything.

:winkie:

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

<<~~~~~~~~~~Now what am I doing there ?

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

hahahaha. Rubik's Cube.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I have found this topic interesting many years ago and have tested it for myself. I found that after consuming a few beers and the urine is white that it is very beneficial to the palm! I tested an area in my yard (i live in the country w/ no neighbors close by) that the grass was greener and grew twice as fast in the area where i was to frequently relieve myself while walking my dog before going to bed.

By that time, i had consumed a few frosty beverages and all the toxins had all ready been "pissed" away for lack of a better term! LOL!

Yellow urine would have too much bile in my opinion to be beneficial. I guess the "watering down" that others have suggested would work too but who has the time??

This works and i have tested this!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

here is something to read

not sure if it is true -

http://www.waldeneffect.org/blog/What_is_in_urine__63__/

Make perfect sense.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

All of this talk makes me curious, is aged manure (horse, cow, chicken) a good fertilizer for palms??

All of this talk makes me curious, is aged manure (horse, cow, chicken) a good fertilizer for palms??

YES IT IS

THAT I KNOW FOR SURE

i have heard if you give your female dog tomatoe juice in there diet there peepee wont burn the grass. I also heard madonna pees on her feet in the shower to get rid of foot fungus .Does that mean her toes will grow bigger :floor:

I have found this topic interesting many years ago and have tested it for myself. I found that after consuming a few beers and the urine is white that it is very beneficial to the palm! I tested an area in my yard (i live in the country w/ no neighbors close by) that the grass was greener and grew twice as fast in the area where i was to frequently relieve myself while walking my dog before going to bed.

By that time, i had consumed a few frosty beverages and all the toxins had all ready been "pissed" away for lack of a better term! LOL!

Yellow urine would have too much bile in my opinion to be beneficial. I guess the "watering down" that others have suggested would work too but who has the time??

Urine after beer is mostly water and alcohol. If you are excreting bile in your urine, better go see a doctor. The yellow color comes from urobilin, which is a by-product from the breakdown of hemoglobin.

On a slightly related topic, Folks, no matter how drunk you are, please don't fertilize with #2, this is a public health hazard.

Urine after beer is mostly water and alcohol. If you are excreting bile in your urine, better go see a doctor. The yellow color comes from urobilin, which is a by-product from the breakdown of hemoglobin.

On a slightly related topic, Folks, no matter how drunk you are, please don't fertilize with #2, this is a public health hazard.

On your last statement, maybe, maybe not. I actually bought a used copy of this book last week. And yes, he is talking about both animal and human manure.

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Shit-Managing-Manure-Mankind/dp/1603582517

post-1207-0-08273500-1370123394_thumb.jp

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Well there ya have it! All those palms with leaning crown syndrome...they're just drunk.

• Upvote 1

On your last statement, maybe, maybe not. I actually bought a used copy of this book last week. And yes, he is talking about both animal and human manure.

Keith, I joked about electing a "night soil man" earlier in this topic. You might like to read about the origins of this practice: http://suite101.com/article/night-soil-men-the-human-waste-collectors-of-georgian-london-a226849

REEEEEEEEEEEALLY???

Dont you think the tree killed to make this book would have been better served by becoming a toilet paper?

:floor:

THE BOOK ANY GOOD?

Peeing on my palms is a regular activity every time I go out in the garden, and I know it works. Last year I planted 5 Livistona rigida and peed on all but one. Subsequently the one that missed out is now paler in colour. I also found that peeing as high up on a tree trunk as possible helps the algae/lichen/and moss on it grow and this gives the garden an even more tropical look. seriously!

www.sheoakridge.com
Our private nature reserve in Far North Queensland, Australia.
Too much rain in the Wet season and not enough in the Dry. At least we never get frost.

I also found that peeing as high up on a tree trunk as possible helps the algae/lichen/and moss on it grow

:bemused:

add one part urine to 10 parts water

the palms love it .

and its free.

I tried it on my Jub and the thing is growing like crazy.

anyone think I am joking ?

Good thread. Maybe off actual topic, but have you tried human feces (manure) as fertilizer?

Keith, I joked about electing a "night soil man" earlier in this topic. You might like to read about the origins of this practice: http://suite101.com/article/night-soil-men-the-human-waste-collectors-of-georgian-london-a226849

Now there is a job I would not want.

Has anybody tried this device?? I know, not as much fun as peeing directly on the tree, but I'm not that talented.

post-651-0-66776800-1370451639_thumb.png

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

I looked it up on wikipedia 9.7 grams of Urea per liter 454grams per pound about 100 liters (25 gallons) of urine should equal about 2 lbs of pure urea fertilizer ... 14 cases of Bud maybee 10 cases of the good imported stuff.. Typical municipal sewage has the following aanalysis 200 mg/l BOD ( organic pollutional strength) 5-7 mg/ of Total Nitrogen (organic and nitrates) and 1-2 mg/l of Phosphorus. if you calculate this out per Million gallons the rough formula is 8.345 lbs of weight per mg/l x Million gallons this translates into 40 to 60 lbs of nitrogen 8-17 lbs of phosphorus maybe 10-20 bags of regular fertilizer depending upont the mi Per Ginas observation you do this on a home compost pile adds to the nitrogen which you need to break down leaf litter. also your are innoculating it with faculatative anaerobic bacteria good bacteria to break down the cellulose linkages in the woody fiber more than anyone wants to know but I had to get it off my chest. Best regards Ed

the palms love it .

and its free.

I do that too, 1 part for 3 parts, but only in rainy season, in hot dry season it smell too stong !

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

the palms love it .

and its free.

I do that too, 1 part for 3 parts, but only in rainy season, in hot dry season it smell too stong !

jean-bernard

You should start eating fruits from Sabal serrulata :)

The 3 to one mix is a bit hard to do I usually just drink beer and then go I cant keep it in for the 3rd beer

Best regards

Ed

I pee outside too. I have 4 or 5 regular places that are relatively screened from view. If I "fertilized" that way everywhere, my neighbors would certainly think I am weirder than they already think. In the dry season it stinks, in the wet, not so much. Mixing it seems like a lot of work, and I would never get away with storing it up till I had 3 gallons to mix with 30 gallons of water in my fert barrel. The Warden would never go for it. And who wants to dip their watering can into that?

Urine also works as an algaecide. I have a shed with vinyl siding that I keep algae free. Well, algae free up to about 3 feet high that is.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

The 3 to one mix is a bit hard to do I usually just drink beer and then go I cant keep it in for the 3rd beer

Best regards

Ed

No, it's easy, 3 pints of beer and one teaspoon of water :interesting:

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Has anybody tried this device?? I know, not as much fun as peeing directly on the tree, but I'm not that talented.

attachicon.gifenvirocomposter.png

Gina,

Don't sell you talents short. I have seen movies where women could, ah, umm..........never mind. Maybe a discussion better held some place else.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

We actually used them at Pic nic grounds or facilities that were in rocky areas with no way to provide water. it works very simular to a septic tank except the process is dry and no leach field . Best regards Edd

I got interested in this topic and remembered a section of a book that I haven't looked at in several years: Gardening in the Tropics by R E Holttum and Ivan Enoch (Timber Press). It is mostly geared to gardening in Malaysia, but the info is great for all hot weather climates. They list many organic fertilizers: cattle and poultry manure, prawn dust, peanut and soybean cake, guano, bone meal, dried blood, fish meal, seaweed, sewage sludge, green manure and URINE....

For Urine, they recommend keeping it for several days and then diluting it with four times its bulk in water. It can then be used directly on plants or on the compost pile. They suggest you keep the aging pee away from the house, because it gets 'ripe' over several days of aging (think men's room at the bus station). Also, it should be covered to prevent dilution by rainfall and to keep mosquitoes from breeding in it - they give you malaria and stink! They pointed out that this is great fertilizer for orchids.

I think that the further away you live from neighbors, the better this method is. Maybe a 5 acre plot.......minimum. Also, don't alert the health department. They might not have read the book! Mum's the word.

The prawn dust recipe has several odor warnings. In fact, they suggest you mix it in the soil directly since the aging process can clear a suburb. I've used fish fertilizer before and it could make a maggot gag, so the prawn dust must be in the same camp.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8