IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Urine makes a great palm fertilizer...........

trioderob

add one part urine to 10 parts water

the palms love it .

and its free.

I tried it on my Jub and the thing is growing like crazy.

anyone think I am joking ?

Edited by trioderob
  • Like 1

No, but are there not some risks? Like cummulative concentration and unpredictable reaction in very hot days or prolonged hot spells? Those variables make uncertain the red line, which should never be crossed.

let me add some other info:

it really does work great -but may be more suited to sandy soil -there is a chance of salt buildup in very clay soil.

if you get heavy rain it will be fine but if you have clay soil and very little rain you may want to investigate before trying.

also don't use it "hot" or you will burn the palm- it really needs to be diluted 5 -10 to 1

there were some tests in India and the results were jaw dropping - plant growth doubled over man made fert.

as far as being unpredictable in hot weather - I have not heard about that

can you go into detail about what you heard ?

Edited by trioderob

I pee on my palms and fruit trees regularly. I can attest to the amazing results. I don't even bother diluting, I just pee right on the plants. What a shame to waste precious fertilizer by flushing it down the toilet.

• Like 1

my pee has stones in it and makes holes in the leaves... :(

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

I pee on my palms and fruit trees regularly. I can attest to the amazing results. I don't even bother diluting, I just pee right on the plants. What a shame to waste precious fertilizer by flushing it down the toilet.

And you save 1.8 gallons of fresh water from flushing down the toilet as well.

• Like 1

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I would be careful about running it "hot"

would not want anyone to lose a palm over my post.

this may also be more suited to the male palm enthusiasts......................... :bemused:

does give them a nice bright green color tho.

if anyone has been doing this for a few years I would be interested in any comments or input.

it is kind of weird - but what the heck ?

Edited by trioderob

Oh, UR mulching!

I would be careful about running it "hot"

would not want anyone to lose a palm over my post.

this may also be more suited to the male palm enthusiasts......................... :bemused:

does give them a nice bright green color tho.

Just FYI, female dogs burn grass when they pee on the grass. I have no idea if this translates to the female part of our own species. I agree with Bob, don't pee directly on the palms unless it's a well established specimen. Although in nature even small plants can withstand the direct urination of mammals.

let me clear something up here:

(so you can see my point about diluting)

It may seem like female dog urine causes more trouble to the lawn than
male dog urine. This is simply because most females tend to squat and
urinate in one place, while many males lift the leg and "mark" upright
objects in multiple locations. The composition of a dog's urine does not
vary that much between male and female dogs, especially when spayed or
neutered.

Edited by trioderob

I think it called Pee gravel.

• Like 2

I’ve seen lots of male cats pee on my plants and they don’t seem to bother them at all. But I think the best ratio is 1 cup to 5 gallons.

I cannot agree with you more. Go green, pee on a palm. If you don't have any plants, pee on your neighbors. If everyone did this, we would not have water shortages around here, not to mention the sewer fees are twice the water bill. My palms love it also.

I first heard of this technique from the late, great Dick Douglas. He was a proponent,.. and we all know how his garden developed! :mrlooney:

My Ceroxylon quindiuense has received such attention for 30 years, and it now has 6m of wood trunk.

Don't bother with dilution. just do it ! (discretely, of course) :greenthumb:

San Francisco, California

lets say the average hydrated person goes 6X per day (do not quote me on this)

at 2 gallons a flush you saved 12 gallon

a family of 5 would be 60 gallons per day

60 x 365 days per year ?

21,900 gallons !

lets say you have 7 nice size adult palms in a small garden - thats 3000 gallons more per year per palm extra for growth

thats not chicken feed.

-did someone say not to dilute ???????

Edited by trioderob

You can pee in a cup then pour it on the palm . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have a super sized bottle palm and attribute its size to my male dog stopping buy every day.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

My grass definitely doubles in size and is twice a green. Don't do it after consuming ahh.. several beers the night before though, the results are also jaw dropping.....

This is such a funny topic and it was just recently argued with the Mrs after she saw me donating nitrogen with one hand a pale ale in the other.

She had the gall to claim I was just being lazy!

I called her jealous...

whoops, that's when it (she) hit me!

:mrlooney:

Jeff

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

that's why my Archontophoenix alexandrae grows so well! my friends prefer going in the corner than the restroom when we're outside

Interestingly enough, THAT is how I actually burned some plants. When peeing naturally, us males tend to disperse a bit, much less chance of a burn, see Bob's comment above regarding female dog pee burning lawns. So if you pee in a cup, a 1-5 or maybe 1-10 volume ratio is the safe way to avoid burn. But peeing, as long as you practice good territory marking etiquette you won't burn any plants.

Incidentally, many pests take the human pee marking as a territory mark and will avoid your garden. Works with gophers and moles.

Interestingly enough, THAT is how I actually burned some plants. When peeing naturally, us males tend to disperse a bit, much less chance of a burn, see Bob's comment above regarding female dog pee burning lawns. So if you pee in a cup, a 1-5 or maybe 1-10 volume ratio is the safe way to avoid burn. But peeing, as long as you practice good territory marking etiquette you won't burn any plants.

Incidentally, many pests take the human pee marking as a territory mark and will avoid your garden. Works with gophers and moles.

Matty B - is this theorey correct? Have you tried this gopher preventative technique? :interesting:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

no Gopher in his right mind would want to mess with Matty

but back to the subject - hummmm interesting - looks like most of you are already doing this to some extent.

Edited by trioderob

Urine has urea which is a natural breakdown or digestion of protein in our diet.

Uea has ammonia (NH4)....the same nitrogen atom found in most ferts.

Take it easy on the peee or it will burn the plant.

:interesting: Salud. Ritchy

I have been doing this since I have had my garden. I even taught my son to do this and to this day he prefers to go in the garden. I taught him as it made clean up easy if you know what I mean. Wife hated it and he peed on a plant in preschool which was embarrassing for me.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

60 x 365 days per year ?

21,900 gallons !

lets say you have 7 nice size adult palms in a small garden - thats 3000 gallons more per year per palm extra for growth

thats not chicken feed.

What the hell are these 5 people doing home all day and what do you think their yard smells like?

Gophers eat my pea for breakfast. They could care less.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

New fertilizer regimen: 3-4 rainy day keggers a year.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

So... I should just invite all the drunks and bums in OB to come over and pee in my garden instead of on the sidewalk? :hmm:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

60 x 365 days per year ?

21,900 gallons !

thats not chicken feed.

What the hell are these 5 people doing home all day and what do you think their yard smells like?

Gophers eat my pea for breakfast. They could care less.

Matty, I take it you're not into the pee thing or else you'd know peeing in the garden doesn't make it smell like pee. Now I wouldn't recommend feeding gophers any peas for breakfast or dinner, for that matter, no lima beans or any vegetable either.

I take it you don't have an iPhone or an Android either, eh? If I had to stay home to get to 15,218 posts like you have, I really would have to stay home all day. :winkie:

I'm reminded of the story of the American folk hero, Johnny Appleseed. Who became legendary for traveling from town to town and farm to farm and planting apple trees wherever he went.

This thread inspired me. I have always wanted to do something great. Something that will live on beyond me in legend.

I will go from house to house in my neighborhood and pee on all the palms. Perhaps one day I will be known as Hammer Palm-pee-er. I will, no doubt, be remembered for my selfless act of neighborhood beautification and become a legend in my own rite.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm reminded of the story of the American folk hero, Johnny Appleseed. Who became legendary for traveling from town to town and farm to farm and planting apple trees wherever he went.

This thread inspired me. I have always wanted to do something great. Something that will live on beyond me in legend.

I will go from house to house in my neighborhood and pee on all the palms. Perhaps one day I will be known as Hammer Palm-pee-er. I will, no doubt, be remembered for my selfless act of neighborhood beautification and become a legend in my own rite.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

I'll be sure to read the police log in the Orange County Register the next couple of days, it should be fun!

Say 'Hammer Palm-pee-er' 10 times real fast.

let me add some other info:

it really does work great -but may be more suited to sandy soil -there is a chance of salt buildup in very clay soil.

if you get heavy rain it will be fine but if you have clay soil and very little rain you may want to investigate before trying.

also don't use it "hot" or you will burn the palm- it really needs to be diluted 5 -10 to 1

there were some tests in India and the results were jaw dropping - plant growth doubled over man made fert.

as far as being unpredictable in hot weather - I have not heard about that

can you go into detail about what you heard ?

It is not what I have heard but rather what I have experienced. All you said in your posting about sandy vs clayish soil is absolutely true. Difference is vast. I keep three dogs in my garden, which now and then used to pee near palms. That had not been a problem for 4 years until last summer, which was exceptionally constantly hot (for two months every day 38 C- dry is summer here anyway). Three palms of mine ( Trachycarpus oreophilus, Pritchardia hillebrandii and a Brahea sp) towards mid to late August collapsed suddenly and irreversibly. I attribute it (I am certain as it can be) to the urea cummulation. Watering pattern had not changed, it was just that for such a long time weather was so very hot and dry (latter anyway), that the content of water in soil got reduced gradually beyond the critical point of lethal urea-concentration. "Uncertain" refers to where this red line lies every time, as this depends very much on weather's fluctuation. I do not think that dilution in clay soil can prevent significantly an accident, if the soil moisture gets vaporised as in my case.

Axel, your powers of deduction are amazing.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

no Gopher in his right mind would want to mess with Matty

but back to the subject - hummmm interesting - looks like most of you are already doing this to some extent.

This is a recent pic of my Arenga pinnata fed with my pee (not right near the stem but under the canopy generally). Of course also the next growing Livistona chinensis profits.

post-6141-0-71451800-1369822241_thumb.jp

... but I have to point out emphatically that soil level due to orientation (eastwards) is deeply shaded in summer and so safe from drying midday and noon sun. So soil remains moister.

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Upvote 1

Surprise surprise, just as I thought things were getting dull on palmtalk with talk of Latin pronunciation., this is easily the most popular thread on PalmTalk. Obviously this is a popular practice, well, at least amongst male palm growers. Now the challenge is to catch the elusive palm grower in the act and let the paparazis spring into action.

Here in Santa Cruz hippyville we have lots of permaculturists. I know of at least one fellow who installed a urinal in his bathroom that leads to a collector where he lets the urine accumulate and mix with wood chips. Totally not up to code but this fellow doesn't buy fertilizer anymore. Nope, he's not married but I am sure most women would be happy not to have to deal with urine splatter anymore.

Enough potty talk for today. Anybody get the Orange County Register? :)