IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trithrinax

PalmGuyWC

No one has reported on Trithrinax yet.  It's no secret that they are extreamly cold hardy and will take the mid teens but one of mine is getting cold tested for the first time.  That is T. biflabellata. (aka, schizophylla)  It's the dwarf of the group.  Mine is 17 years old and only about 3.5' in heigth and has 6 heads.  It's growing in an exposed area and looks fine after 23F. It was covered with white frost many nights this year.  No damage what so ever, and appears to still be slowly growing through this misserable winter.

My other two species are T. campestris and acanthocoma (aka. brasiliensis), both very hardy.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 1 month later...

Heres a picture of two single trunked Trithrinax biflabellata that have lost the fibre on their trunks.-

trithrinaxbiflabellataitp0.jpg

Cheers. Gaston

• 10 months later...

Two plants, 5 gal size

15 f, 13 hrs below freezing first night, thereafter too depressed to check my hi/lo. 5 nights into the hi teens/low twenties for sure, many hours below freezing

Unfazed (pushed some ugliness this summer, but that was it)

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

• 11 months later...

My Thrinax radiata, about six feet tall and forming part of the "canopy" of a thicket of young palms and heliconias, looks unfazed after 9:30 pm to dawn at 32-31 degrees, falling to 30 at dawn. Dry air, no frost.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

• 1 year later...

Low of 14F. 14 days straight of below freezing temps. 0% overhead protection. 2 ft Thrinax schizophylla is dead.

Several in pots with overhead protection appear to be recovering. Bit of a disappointment.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 1 month later...

I have all 3 species in 1-2 gallon sizes under live oak canopy. During the worst night (16F) I protected all with a plastic pot. Other nights lows in the upper 20's and lower 30's they received no protection other than the canopy. No damage to any of the plants.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 3 years later...

Trithrinax acanthacoma in ground, 3 ft of trunk 14f, no damage. Super Hardy!!

Blake

• 1 year later...

T. Campestris:

Tiny 4" liners - 17 degrees without snow or ice, just fine, no spear pull on any plants. No burning of the leaves.

50 days later the same Tiny 4" Liners - 4 days in a row covered with ice and snow highs 32-36degrees, lows around 24-28 spear pull on 50% of the plants with bronzing of most of the leaves. 85% of the plants pushed new spears. 15% of them died. This is from a sample of 62 plants.

2G - no spear pull during either event and very minimal bronzing. Absolutely no overhead protection whatsoever.

Note that I lost 30% of the 2G serenoa repens sitting 3' from the campestris.

I have a few that will be 5G size this winter and will test them again. I believe a 5G up to mature specimen in the ground would be 100% hardy in North Texas 8A.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

Same three plants reported above in 2010 (10- gallon sized)  withstood approximately 24 hrs below freezing with an ultimate low of 20F with no damage under oak canopy. 

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.