IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

palm climbing

Bennz

This is the way I have climbed palms to collect seed in the past. This picture is me up a local Howea about 7 years ago, using a web belt between my feet as the sole climbing aid.

up_tree.jpg

But now with 3 children and number 4 on the way, plus the additional of nearly 10kgs to the middle, my old carefree technique has lost its appeal somewhat. Also the NZ Accident inspectors would not have been at all impressed had an emergency occured. Are there commercial systems around without spikes? Do spikes truly cause damage or not? I need a system that has no chance of damaging the palms.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Dear Bennz,

I can see your enthusiuam in that picture of your's.Today i feel

that iam not left alone in this world_Of tree climbing !

In India we have commercial climbers,since in our land we

have lots of coconut palms,Phoeniex_Local Sp,and a fan palm

which resembles a common Sabal Veriety but this fan palm

gives edible fruits which resemble rip mangoes inside a cover.

& this picture i have seen in this forum too,but do not Know the topic or the username.

these commercial climbers charge around 50 cents U.S $ for

cleaning and removing the edible fruit per tree. so it becomes un- nessary for the landlords to think about climbing these trees themselves.

Note : Yes, these climbers have specilised slippers for their foot along with bicycle tyres of kid_i.e Small sized tyre.

and for the hip support they use cane bamboo loop,which they

initially tie around the palm tree as we use belts around our

waist. after fixing these apparatus they climb like cats on trees,they also have 'Can' made from coir around their waist it contains pestesides, sharp knives and some beetle nut & beetle leaves which they chew around. these people are also hired by land lords to fell trees and palms just in case they

dry-up (DIE).

When i have a Digital Camera I will catch them in action for

you and you can also fabricate their apparatus for your usage.

A word of caution_ Try to avoid climbing trees since you said that you have Put on weight.it makes one sluggish to react to

eventualities immedietly.And i believe that seeds that mature and fall on the ground are the best viable seeds avaliable !

so do not take unwanted risk as we have done in our earlier days of our lives...

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris.(From South India_Chennai(Madras).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Just don't take any advice from Keith Richards.

Would a ladder not make life easier?

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I just had a cooky idea.  Could you use a thin rope w/ a weight on the end and throw it up and around the seeds.  Then you could pull and shake any ripe ones off onto the ground, like Batman.   ???

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 1 month later...

Hmm.

This is a cool topic, anyone have any thoughts?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Train a monkey to collect seeds !

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Like Kris in India we have pretty cheap labor around here for tree climbing.  Most of the fruits from Euterpe Precatoria, Oenocapus bacaba and O. bataua are collected from wild plants in the forest and these trees get pretty high.  The guys normally use certain vines tied to their feet to climb up.  I am way past the point of attempting this activity.  My wife knows how to climb pretty well though.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(richnorm @ Jul. 13 2006,20:50)

I find bare feet work a treat on Nikaus.

As soon my body cast is removed, I'll try the bare feet...

notaseasyasitlooks.jpg

I get by with a little help from my fronds