IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

flowers on trachy? first year in ground.

bronxboynyc71

Was inspecting my trachys today. Noticed some growth comming out of trunk. I'm guessing there flower buds. Was not expecting it to flower so soon. Planted them in march. I'm hoping this is a sign of health!!! Also does this mean its a female tree? I hope everyone has a great growing season. Bobby

post-7619-0-99576100-1369153247_thumb.jp

post-7619-0-27396600-1369153467_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Yeah, good sign! My GOD a windmill in Bronx?! You're going to have to build a mighty tall enclosure someday, as once established, these hairy guys get quite tall! But, suppose it's worth it, not sure if earth friendly, but one palm ain't gonna 'break the bank'! I planted one of these at my new house in the front entryway 20 years ago, about the same size. It's 25 feet tall now, quite a bit higher then the roof, so I have to get an extension ladder to reach the dead leaves and spent inflorescences. They look all messy once they poop out. I have two, and the one in my back yard must be a female as every few years they get pollinated and make the prettiest blue seeds! Made a beautiful dried arrangement out of them. But surely you must be one of the very few that far North to have, or is Home Depot selling these up there now, too?! It still a Zone 5 there, so be prepared to wrap it up and eventually build box around, but not sure if you could keep warm enough in most, even normal, winters there as it is too damp, cold and windy for optimum growth. good luck

Actually, according to the new hardiness zone map i am borderline 7b! Very sceptical myself. The Bronx used to be rated 6. Still plan on treating the palms as though I'm in zone 6. Going to build mini greenhouses around them. The key is to keep them dry, the cold really don't bother them. Good luck enjoy your summer. Robert

Yeah, I forgot to look at the latest USDA map, Robert!~ Y'all have been upgraded! I remember a TV show talking about global warming back in the 80's that said, are you ready?, 'that if present weather warming persists, that palm trees might be grown as far as NYC'! I remember thinking back then, "NYC? No way!" But, here you are (and apparently a few others). Trachycarpus I noted on trips to England visiting my mom, and they grow in Ireland as well, I've since read. What next, Iceland? Nothing more odd, though, then to picture an old episode of "Cagney & Lacey" hiding from a gunman behind a shaggy windmill palm! LOL

But, there used to be nay sayers about growing palms even in Zone 8B Dallas, which is ridiculous and I've fought this notion for years and you look around now and see palms in every neighborhood, almost. Many of the Mexican populations that have moved here since the 70's automatically plant them, and of course, the rich by their fancy pools. But this would've been rare 50 years ago. Mostly just damn Crepe Myrtles and live oaks back then, along with the weed of the bush world, red-tip photinia! ARGGGGG!

Here's to a good summer, hope not too dry and hot like the last!

Yeah, I forgot to look at the latest USDA map, Robert!~ Y'all have been upgraded! I remember a TV show talking about global warming back in the 80's that said, are you ready?, 'that if present weather warming persists, that palm trees might be grown as far as NYC'! I remember thinking back then, "NYC? No way!" But, here you are (and apparently a few others). Trachycarpus I noted on trips to England visiting my mom, and they grow in Ireland as well, I've since read. What next, Iceland? Nothing more odd, though, then to picture an old episode of "Cagney & Lacey" hiding from a gunman behind a shaggy windmill palm! LOL

But, there used to be nay sayers about growing palms even in Zone 8B Dallas, which is ridiculous and I've fought this notion for years and you look around now and see palms in every neighborhood, almost. Many of the Mexican populations that have moved here since the 70's automatically plant them, and of course, the rich by their fancy pools. But this would've been rare 50 years ago. Mostly just damn Crepe Myrtles and live oaks back then, along with the weed of the bush world, red-tip photinia! ARGGGGG!

All true.. I love how Dallas has become a Palmy city over the last decade!

Going to need lots of good advice, come December. Plan on building mini green houses for my trachys & musa bajoo. Not to worried about the cold this winter, I'm more concerned about keeping them dry. Got some good ideas from a post by Wisconsin grower. Looks like I'm gunna be making a trip to the home depot this winter.

That's cool. It looks very happy. Kind of hard to tell from the photo but are the flowers greenish? Look more yellow to me. If yellow than male.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

And yes, the USDA map was updated last year maybe. There was a lot of talk on here about how a number of people, myself included, found themselves in a warmer zone. I'm sticking with the old one too. Rather not lose palms I love when that cold snap really hits.

Yeah, good sign! My GOD a windmill in Bronx?! You're going to have to build a mighty tall enclosure someday, as once established, these hairy guys get quite tall! But, suppose it's worth it, not sure if earth friendly, but one palm ain't gonna 'break the bank'! I planted one of these at my new house in the front entryway 20 years ago, about the same size. It's 25 feet tall now, quite a bit higher then the roof, so I have to get an extension ladder to reach the dead leaves and spent inflorescences. They look all messy once they poop out. I have two, and the one in my back yard must be a female as every few years they get pollinated and make the prettiest blue seeds! Made a beautiful dried arrangement out of them. But surely you must be one of the very few that far North to have, or is Home Depot selling these up there now, too?! It still a Zone 5 there, so be prepared to wrap it up and eventually build box around, but not sure if you could keep warm enough in most, even normal, winters there as it is too damp, cold and windy for optimum growth. good luck

I live in southern ontario, canada I have two in the ground and have been since 2006, my non hybrid waggie was seed grown in Vancouver and my fortunei was seed grown in Montreal. I build very light enclosures made from construction foam and they will stay in the enclosures for only 2 months. They are 6 foot tall now and are thriving, planted in full sun with cow manure for soil with plenty of fertilizer. I also have Musa basjoo bananas growing and are 13 foot tall.

All true.. I love how Dallas has become a Palmy city over the last decade!

Here is a pict of my Dallas back yard. your right it is becoming palmypost-59-0-82611200-1370287211_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bronxboynyc, do you have any recent photos of your inflorescence? I'm curious to see if you've got a male or female.

This is wonderful to see a palm in The Bronx! I'm reckoning Chamearops humilis would grow too in this case. It also dislikes wet humid roots in winter, so impeccable drainage and protection from wet around the root zone in winter might be enough.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)