IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Palmetum in Tenerife will Finally be Opened !

Carlo Morici

Hello all,

Some more steps are being taken for the palmetum. All is very slow but we could foresee an opening next year... hopefully in early Spring. Local TVs and Newspaper are now often showing the palmetum. It had been "hidden" for 17 years. This autumn, we organised abou 30 guided tours for citizens, in order to show it to the grand public. More than 2000 people came and the Palmetum came out with flying colours.

This was my last interview, last week and had lot of succes on the medias. I hope other palm gardens in the world don't get offended for what I promised to local newspapers: Being the best in the world. Not an easy task... but not an unreacheable one. I just said we are at 60% from the goal. :winkie:

Carlo Morici: “Podemos llegar a ser el mejor jardín botánico de palmeras del mundo”- "We could become the best palm botanical garden in the world."

And I pushed up this old topic with 1140 visits !

• Upvote 1

Excellent Carlo, I missed this thread the first time around........I actually visited your island about 13 years ago with family near Christmas time so it is exciting to see this is happening. Never knew of this place.....from the video.....Was this built on a garbage mound? Unbelievable!! Thank you and others that have made this possible.......surely a treasure for the people of the island, Europe as well as the rest of the world. Hope to visit again someday.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Great Carlo!

And the interview was good, I think. I really wish an opening in 2014 and a parallel efficient input for all what's coming next.

Once again, congratulations for your remarkable efforts (and patience).

Just one question (off topic): What happened in Tenerife when they took your photo? There's a new micro-climate or they made the interview up there in La Laguna??? You wear warm clothes just like if you were on the mainland!

We had rain here, but no chill... I'm puzzled... :wacko:

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Thank you guys!

Sebastian, I am very sensitive to cold! That was here in downtown Santa Cruz at 11 am, in the shade in Plaza del Príncipe. Possibly 20 C, enough for me to wear all that if some wind comes in. In winter, the main city is warm at night and cold during the days, because the sun does not go through the buildings and trees.

Carlo

• 1 month later...

For some it is hard to believe but it is absolutely true. The landfill is being converted in a botanical garden in an almost magical way.

The princes of Spain will come on Tuesday 28th for a royal, official inauguration. The date was secret until a few days ago, so we now have two weeks to update and improve the whole thing at any level.

Some good professionals of the islands are working now on the hill. Planting A LOT. Finishing surfaces with mulching, cinder, sand, rocks, etc. fixing the shadecloth of the octagon, adding signs, preparing texts and images for the entrance hall, painting benches, restoring rocks wherever in walls, rockeries, waterfalls.

The change of look is surprising. We have never had more than a few herbaceous plants and now the understorey of the octagon is crowded with bromeliads

It just took 17 years and now we will be on the press for eons :winkie:

From a recent local newspaper, El Día: Los príncipes presidirán la inauguración del Palmétum

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/37050-the-palmetum-in-tenerife-will-finally-be-opened/page-2

Accidentally princes in Spanish is principes, just like the botanical order where palms belong: Arecales or Principes, or like the former name of our magazine, now renamed Palms. Should I tell them? I would have given a free suscription if only we haven't changed the name!

So here they are, for those who don't have them as close as we do.

principes-Asturias-ministro-Industria-Tu

museo_principes--644x362.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks like heaven! My kind of place! Beautiful palms and great waves to surf! Always wanted to surf there someday, now I have another reason to go there!

Fantastic Carlo!!!!! I can't tell you how proud I am of you for your unrelenting enthusiasm seeing this project through during all those difficult years and your grand success in the end! My sincere congratulations. I will keep my fingers crossed for the big inauguration day. Best, TOBY

• Upvote 1

Thank you friends. These days are a bit hectic. We are doing all at once. I feel satisfied, and also stressed, It is being a non-stop session during the last days.

Two weeks is a very short time. The running budget is about 100.000 euros, but everybody is working as if it was much more!

The more surprising side is the improvement in landscaping. All the surfaces are being refinished for the first time and the park is now starting to shine.

The backyard of the entrance was planted on last Friday, with 3 L.p.sumawongii, 1 Caryota no and about 20 Chamaedorea klotschiana, There is still time to add 1 Kentiopsis oliviformis later.

Today we did some more plantings ... 1 Dypsis nodifera, 2 Thrinax radiata, 1 Caryota zebrina, 1 Pelagodoxa, a dozen Chamaedorea plumosa (Thank you Colin!), 1 variegated Rhapis, 1 Chamaedorea brachypoda, 2 Rhapis sp, , all quite large.

Tomorrow we will get one truck of bromeliads, aroids, and other herbaceous plants as a help from the Botanical Garden of La Orotava. Then we will place some 300 more signs for plants and then also large signs for the geographical sections..

Today's news is that we will do now the stone rockeries in Madagascar (where the Ravenea xerophila are), in the Canarian Section and in the Caribbean,

And it was a landfill! In the entrance building there will be some pictures of the very start, when the hill was a hell and the rubbish was often burning spontaneously. Tomorrow afternoon, by the road going up,not far from the entrance, an excavator will purposely open a crack on the side of the hill, in order to show a slice of the disgusting underground. That will become a permanent show for the visits to the Palmetum.

Tomorrow, more!

Congratulations Carlo!

It was a great day for palms. A great day for Spain.

Your hard work is paying off, Felicidades!

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Updates - We are doing some magic gardening! Today we planted a lot in a non-stop day. Most are 1-3 m tall plants.

Off the top of my mind:

- Hawaii

1 Pritchardia sp. Lanai

3 P. schattaueri

1 P. aylmer-robinsonii

2 P. napaliensis

- Octogon:

3 Cryosophila sp. JBC

1 Dypsis prestoniana

2 Brassiop.schumannii

4 Jo.altifrons

2 Pinanga coronata

2 Pelagodoxa

2 Ch.ernestii-aug

1 Cyathea cooperi
1 Codiaeum variegatum interruptum

2 Encephalartos laurentianus

- New Caledonia - handrails changed!
1 Chambeyronia sp. Koua
1 Cordyline neocaledonia

- Caribbean Overlook- handrail changed!

5 Thrinax radiata

- Entrance builiding

1 Kentiopsis oliviformis

1 Barringtonia neocaledonica

- New Garden by the entrance

1 Bismarckia

3 Canariensis

1 Carpoxylon

1 Arenga pinnata

2 Pritch.hillebr.

4 Coccothrinax macroglossa

1 Coccothrinax sp.

1 Coccothrinax sp.

2 Pseudophoenix vinifera

1 Beccario madagasc.

3 Clinostigma exxorrhizum

1 Caryota no

1 Caryota mitis

6 Ptychosperma lineare

5 Hyophorbe indica

4 Dypsis cabadae

1 Attalea sp.

1 Schizolobium parahybum

1 Talipariti elatum

1 Ravenala madag.

1 Ravenala sp. Honkandambo

Surely a few more I can't remember.

- Canarian section

2 Hedera canariensis

1 Gonospermum revolutum

1 Semele androgyna

2 Euphorbia lamarckii

3 Artemisia thuscula

2 Ceropegia dichotoma

3 Drimia hesperiae

3 Kleinia nerifolia

2 Juniperus

3 Convolvolus fruticosum

- Africa

1 Raphia australis

- Mascarenes

1 Hyoph.indica

• Upvote 1

Hi Carlo,

It looks like you are going to have a beautiful palmetum there. I haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet, but are there any Cocos nucifera? It seems like your climate would be good for coconut palms. If you have any, what varieties do you have, and where did they come from? Do coconut palms fruit in the Canary Islands?

John

Yes we have some 30 coconut trees. The healthy mature ones fruit regularly, but they just bear a few (10?) fruits per tree per year. Some old ones have been damaged by droughts, some years ago, so they don't fruit anymore, but they still look decent.

Most are "african tall", a few came from Florida and might be something different, and then there is one "Red Spicata".

Breathtakingly beautiful! A must see for every palm lover. The video was fantastic, especially the wind blowing through the palm fronds, which made everything come to life. It is certain to entice a great number of us to visit in the near future.

Those of us who saw your presentation at the Thai biennial know how many hardships you overcame and cannot be anything but amazed and impressed at what you have accomplished. Congratulations!

The palmetum has jumped to the top of my palm adventure wish list.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Hi Carlo,

That is great that you have coconut palms there. I thought they would do well in the Canary Islands. I think with supplemental watering, they would produce more coconuts each year. I watched the videos, and the Palmetum is really beautiful. I would love to see it some day. I might even want to move there in the future. Your island seems like a nice beautiful place to live.

John

Hi Carlo,

It looks like you are going to have a beautiful palmetum there. I haven't had a chance to watch the videos yet, but are there any Cocos nucifera? It seems like your climate would be good for coconut palms. If you have any, what varieties do you have, and where did they come from? Do coconut palms fruit in the Canary Islands?

John

They have planted some coconut palms along the beaches for the tourists! Hopefully they have some talipot palms in that palmetum, or nice rare Copernicias from Cuba!

Alexander

• Upvote 1

Updates - We are doing some magic gardening! Today we planted a lot in a non-stop day. Most are 1-3 m tall plants.

Off the top of my mind:

- Hawaii

1 Pritchardia sp. Lanai

3 P. schattaueri

1 P. aylmer-robinsonii

2 P. napaliensis

- Octogon:

3 Cryosophila sp. JBC

1 Dypsis prestoniana

2 Brassiop.schumannii

4 Jo.altifrons

2 Pinanga coronata

2 Pelagodoxa

2 Ch.ernestii-aug

1 Cyathea cooperi
1 Codiaeum variegatum interruptum

2 Encephalartos laurentianus

- New Caledonia - handrails changed!
1 Chambeyronia sp. Koua
1 Cordyline neocaledonia

- Caribbean Overlook- handrail changed!

5 Thrinax radiata

- Entrance builiding

1 Kentiopsis oliviformis

- New Garden by the entrance

1 Bismarckia

3 Canariensis

1 Carpoxylon

1 Arenga pinnata

2 Pritch.hillebr.

4 Coccothrinax macroglossa

1 Coccothrinax sp.

1 Coccothrinax sp.

2 Pseudophoenix vinifera

1 Beccario madagasc.

3 Clinostigma exxorrhizum

1 Caryota no

1 Caryota mitis

6 Ptychosperma lineare

5 Hyophorbe indica

4 Dypsis cabadae

1 Attalea sp.

1 Schizolobium parahybum

1 Talipariti elatum

1 Ravenala madag.

1 Ravenala sp. Honkandambo

Surely a few more I can't remember.

- Canarian section

2 Hedera canariensis

1 Gonospermum revolutum

1 Semele androgyna

2 Euphorbia lamarckii

3 Artemisia thuscula

2 Ceropegia dichotoma

3 Drimia hesperiae

3 Kleinia nerifolia

2 Juniperus

3 Convolvolus fruticosum

- Africa

1 Raphia australis

- Mascarenes

1 Hyoph.indica

Nice Carlo, the list of all palm species must be very extensive.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Today was a great day among palms!

Some pictures from the gallery: http://multimedia.laopinion.es/fotos/santa-cruz/los-principes-inauguran-palmetum-santa-cruz-16583_13.shtml

Their Royal Highnesses Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia of Asturias, in the section of Madagascar

..with National Minister of Industry, Energy and Tourism, Mayor of the City President of the Canarian Government, Military Authorities, and others. Me on the far right. Manuel Caballero has the panama hat.

1390932911387.jpg

Mangroves and Bismarckia

1390932904683.jpg

Princes with minister in the Latania grove

1390932891785.jpg

Our first Roystonea princeps goes to the ground. A grove of Copernicia baileyana grows behind us.

1390932845963.jpg

Some good words for the day

inauguracionpp96.jpg

• Upvote 2

Madagascar (I spy two tall Ravenea xerophila)

1390932907300.jpg

The Caribbean Circus, Plaza del Caribe

1390932845990.jpg

Roystonea princeps, the Prince of Royal Palms is endemic to Jamaica, endangered, restricted to low, boggy areas.

1390932820430.jpg

• Upvote 2

This was at the very start.

1390932725616.jpg

Once again Felipe and Leticia, go through the entrance, by one of the two Kentiopsis oliviformis planted one year ago by the door.

1390932790989.jpg

1390924675596.jpg

The princess is carefully holding the hooked whip of Desmoncus ortacanthos. Everybody seems to love the rattan.

1390924675595.jpg

At the very end, I could take "Their Royal Highnesses Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia of Asturias" for a final short walk without the medias. We went to the small overlook in the New Caledonian section. They loved the grove of Araucaria columnaris, now 13 years old, just the time passed from the IPS biennial in 2000. Then a look to the Chambeyronia sp. Koua-Houailou, and to the breadnut trees still holding some unripe fruits in the depth of winter.

Goodbye, come back, so I can show more!

• Upvote 2

Wonderful Carlo, I am very glad to see this! It is hard to imagine how much sweat and tears went into this project to get it to this stage!

Best, TOBY

I enjoyed your presentation in Thailand and am so excited for your success! We are all proud of you!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Congratulation Carlo,

Your attitude to the project has been inspirational, The outcome of your persistant, never give up hard working ethos has truly been a wonderful thing for others to follow.

You are living proof that one person CAN make a difference to improving the world.

Thank you for the video, it is now an amazing place, hope to visit the palmetum again in 2015.

Your deserve to be extremely proud

regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Congratulations Carlo! Very exciting! I will try to visit your beautiful island sometime in the near future. Keep up the good work!

JD

Thank you again. Tomorrow will be the first day for the public. By now only guided groups will be allowed. No free-ranging visitors for a while and no schools until March.

We have been featured in lots of lovely reports on the media. And more will come soon. I have another long TV interview tomorrow and one on the radio on tuesday!

It is fabuolous to listen to the local news talking about mangroves and rattans, explaining why tahinas are important, telling where is located the island of New Caledonia!

This videos is not new. It was recorded 3 months ago. It is 28 minutes long, in Spanish, with three long interviews (one is mine!) but it has lots of nice shots of palms and other plants.

And our largest Pelagodoxa flowered for the first time during the inauguration day!

• Upvote 1

Felicidades, Carlo! The creation of the garden is a major accomplishment of your life, you can be very proud of its influence on generations to come. Canarians now have this very special attraction for themselves and for visitors, thanks in no small part to your vision and unrelenting persistence.

One day I will make a return visit to enjoy the maturing garden, maybe see one or two of my small contributions thriving. :) Exotic and beautiful today, the garden will only improve with time.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Felicidades, Carlo! The creation of the garden is a major accomplishment of your life, you can be very proud of its influence on generations to come. Canarians now have this very special attraction for themselves and for visitors, thanks in no small part to your vision and unrelenting persistence.

I'll raise a glass, and second Kim's comments. Cheers to a job well done.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Carlo,

This is really exciting news, and I know how thrilled you must be to have come this far after all the difficulties over the last several years. Congratulations to being part of such a major accomplishment! :) And not to be forgotten, most of the Directors had the opportunity to tour the Palmetum in October 2011 in connection with our BOD meeting on your beautiful island (and so many similarities with Hawaii! :) ). Here are five of the photos I took on that all too brief visit, including one of me after I had planted a Pritchardia in the Palmetum (Carlo, I hope it's doing well...? :) )

Bo-Göran

post-22-0-20002700-1391204182_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-27122700-1391204187_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-50373300-1391204192_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-87686100-1391204197_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-83400100-1391204202_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Kim, a few of your donations are now thriving in the ground. Most of your plants had bad luck... more bad years came and I was quite distracted with my newborne baby, now 4 years old. Lots of plants from Colin are alive and kicking. All those Chamaedorea plumosa and C.klotschiana at the entrance and in the octogon are from Colin's seeds.

Bo's Pritchardia minor is alive and kicking. But one of the two mother plants died last year for a fungus, so we had 2, then 3 and now 2 again. We have a few new seedlings ready to join in.

Since the IPS visit, I refurbished the landscape and we have much more greenery than before! I hope to get some position in there as soon as possible. If the future is bright, then we can start growing the real big collection that I have always dreamed of. We have lot of free space and could soon jump from 400 to 600 species or so... if you guys will keep on helping.

I wish to complete the Coccothrinax collection with ALL the species, to improve the New Caledonian and New Guinean section, I surely need a lodoicea for the show. The rare Borassus species, and the Brazilian Syagrus from harsh habitats. There is a lot to do!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am just back from the Canary Islands. I stayed most day at Gran Canaria but last week I did visit Tenerife for 4 days. And last Thursday I could visit the Palmetum. Its now still only possible to visit it with a tour. But it will be open soon they told me.

Well its a beutifull place with lots of rare palms and also other plants like a flowering Plumeria filifolia with very narrow leaves from Cuba wich I had never seen before! Also stunning Bismackia nobilis and a couple of Corypha umbraculifera. And lots of Cuban palms there.

Well its worth to visit and a must for palmlovers! And Tenerife gets a bit of a perfect climate. Never really cold and never really to hot!

Alexander