IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Palmetum in Tenerife will Finally be Opened !

Carlo Morici

Dear Palm People,

This feels surprising to me but it is apparently true! The Palmetum in Santa Cruz de Tenerife will be finally opened to the public.

We have been working for 17 years behing the curtain. The palmetum has been a dream project for years but it has never been opened to the public. Just a few thousands of lucky people have visited it during these years. locals. Palmtalk has been one of the few windows to the world.

Our determination took us to the end: the City has just taken the last step and it will be opened as an official botanical garden. It will be managed by the existing foundation "Santa Cruz Sostenible", a sustainabilty-oriented non profit organisation.

Now the earth is shaking and we will suddenly be on the news. The local TV is planning a 1 hour special after about 6 years of absolute silence.

The news from a local newspaper, with a nice group picture with politicians and technicians posing in peaceful harmony.

http://www.eldia.es/santacruz/2013-05-20/2-ayuntamiento-comprueba-estado-instalaciones-paso-previo-apertura-parque-tematico.htm

Another newspaper with a longer text with more details

http://www.laopinion.es/tenerife/2013/05/20/capital-ultima-detalles-abrir-palmetum/476623.html

1369065967281g.jpg

Carlo

• Upvote 3

Congratulations, Carlo! A lot of us have been following your progress at the Palmetum for a number of years. I am getting on the next available flight!

• Upvote 1

Wow, congratulations Carlo, your efforts and merits are rewarded.

It is also a very good new for all the palm people.

Felicidades

Un abrazo

Sebastian

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

That's very exiting news and a tribute to the doggedness of a few. Well done Carlo. I have family who spend part of the year on the island so am sure to visit. I have been meaning to sneak in to the Palmetum for years, now I won't have to!

Just one sentence is a worry, if they are anything like NZ public servants it could be a long and frustrating wait!

At present, the Council works to outline various aspects of security, control and signaling inside the Palmetum, before opening to the public.

congratulations! i hope to see it someday!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Dear carlos

Very happy to hear this.lots of pain taking efforts

Has been put by you and your friends there..which

Needs special mention.

Lots of love

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Congratulations to all who worked, and worked, and worked toward this goal. With 17 years under its belt,parts of the garden have had a chance to grow to appreciable size. It's a fantastic location and I hope the locals and visitors will appreciate this special gem. I hope to visit again one day to see how far it has come, and maybe see certain palms that I missed last time. :rolleyes::)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Congratulation to all concerned Carlo

You and the other palmetum friends whose never say die attitude are the reason this is even possible.

From the days, not long ago, when you all watered the palms by hand, carrying water in buckets up that hill and to now, a fully functioning botanic garden, You all deserve a lot of praise especially yourself Carlo for your dedication, something for you to rightfully very proud of for the rest of your life

well done

regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Carlo,

This is wonderful news, and I am very happy to hear that this is finally happening - after so many years and so many difficulties. Our visit to the Palmetum back in 2010 was certainly a highlight of our visit to Tenerife, and I hope to visit again! The very best wishes for the future success of the Palmetum! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Way to go Carlo!!! I've gotta see it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Fantastic my friend! Excellent work all around!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Congratulations! Following the garden's progress for all these years on Palmtalk and now it's show time. What a tribute to all the hard work and perseverance. A new star in the sky.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Everyone has probably seen this old vid

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Congratulations Carlo, I hope to visit the Palmetum one day!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

You stuck it out, didn't give up, in hope that one day (year) this would happen. Thanks and congratulations Carlo.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Great new Carlo - Congratulations

I had a sneak peek from Colin's video Footage several yrs ago

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Felicitaciones! This is really great news indeed. And one more big reason to visit the Canary Islands, especially Teneriffa.

Respect and gratitude for all the efforts done so far.

Can't wait to go there...

Regards from Munich, Germany

Munich City

USDA Zone 7b

190 miles from next coast.

Elevation 1673ft (510m)

Average annual low temp: 9F (-13C)

Average annual rainfall: 40" (100cm)

Carlo, you must be thrilled. After all the work, the hardships and unexpected delays, you never gave up. Perseverence, my friend, paid off. Congratulations!

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Congratulations! I greatly enjoyed your presentation at the last Biennial. Now all your work and patience will finally allow visitors to share your dream!

Cindy Adair

Fantastico Carlo. !!!!

Finally is seen realized the dream of many people, and especially yours, who bet all their efforts on this project.

I'm happy to be able to know the Palmetum in the beginning. Really a great experience

Un fuerte abrazo amigo

Jose

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Congratulations on your project's completion. It looks outstanding.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Congratulations Carlo! All the hard work and dedication is finally paying off. I hope to visit some day.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

This is great news. By the way, the Acoelorraphe thicket in the photo is impressive by Florida standards.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I am glad everybody is enjoying the acoelorraphes. We have lots (15?) of huge Acoelorraphe like those. They came from Florida as adult clumps, in 1996, collected in the wild, while Florida was clearing new land for development or agriculture. Since then they grew a lot. Some of them get flooded twice a week, while some others live on drier ridges. The old stems at first slowed down for (2-3?) years and then they grew about 1-1,5 m each. The new shoots came up soon and grew much faster than the older trunks. These younger shoots are now 2-4 m tall ! They all look wonderful when the abundant fruits turn bright orange.

Carlo

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic! I've only ever been to La Gomera in the Canaries and truly loved it, wonderful wonderful special climate. Now I have a special reason to stop off in Tenerife too. Congratulations.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

I want to see this for myself one day. Aussie Ratpack visit.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Just watched the video. Thanks for the English subtitles. I have vivid memories of our (IPS) tour in 2011. I'm glad to hear that this spectacular garden will now be enjoyed by the general public.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Amazing job, fantastic to see transformations like this.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Carlo your obra is finally to fruition after years of your hard work, brains and perservience. This is a gift to all palm lovers and the public in general. Congratulations and Thank You.

Brian Bruning