Carlo Morici

The Palmetum in Tenerife will Finally be Opened !

Carlo Morici

Dear Palm People,

This feels surprising to me but it is apparently true! The Palmetum in Santa Cruz de Tenerife will be finally opened to the public.

We have been working for 17 years behing the curtain. The palmetum has been a dream project for years but it has never been opened to the public. Just a few thousands of lucky people have visited it during these years. locals. Palmtalk has been one of the few windows to the world.

Our determination took us to the end: the City has just taken the last step and it will be opened as an official botanical garden. It will be managed by the existing foundation "Santa Cruz Sostenible", a sustainabilty-oriented non profit organisation.

Now the earth is shaking and we will suddenly be on the news. The local TV is planning a 1 hour special after about 6 years of absolute silence.

The news from a local newspaper, with a nice group picture with politicians and technicians posing in peaceful harmony.

http://www.eldia.es/santacruz/2013-05-20/2-ayuntamiento-comprueba-estado-instalaciones-paso-previo-apertura-parque-tematico.htm

Another newspaper with a longer text with more details

http://www.laopinion.es/tenerife/2013/05/20/capital-ultima-detalles-abrir-palmetum/476623.html

1369065967281g.jpg

Carlo

• Upvote 3

John in Andalucia

Congratulations, Carlo! A lot of us have been following your progress at the Palmetum for a number of years. I am getting on the next available flight!

• Upvote 1

stygiana

Wow, congratulations Carlo, your efforts and merits are rewarded.

It is also a very good new for all the palm people.

Felicidades

Un abrazo

Sebastian

richnorm

That's very exiting news and a tribute to the doggedness of a few. Well done Carlo. I have family who spend part of the year on the island so am sure to visit. I have been meaning to sneak in to the Palmetum for years, now I won't have to!

Just one sentence is a worry, if they are anything like NZ public servants it could be a long and frustrating wait!

At present, the Council works to outline various aspects of security, control and signaling inside the Palmetum, before opening to the public.

paulgila

congratulations! i hope to see it someday!

dalmatiansoap

Congrats! Ideal place for some future IPS bienalle?

Good luck

:greenthumb:

Kris

Dear carlos

Very happy to hear this.lots of pain taking efforts

Has been put by you and your friends there..which

Needs special mention.

Lots of love

Kris.

Rafael

Congrats dear Carlo, looking forward to visit the Palmetum, maybe in a couple of months :)

Kim

Congratulations to all who worked, and worked, and worked toward this goal. With 17 years under its belt,parts of the garden have had a chance to grow to appreciable size. It's a fantastic location and I hope the locals and visitors will appreciate this special gem. I hope to visit again one day to see how far it has come, and maybe see certain palms that I missed last time. :rolleyes::)

palmtreesforpleasure

Congratulation to all concerned Carlo

You and the other palmetum friends whose never say die attitude are the reason this is even possible.

From the days, not long ago, when you all watered the palms by hand, carrying water in buckets up that hill and to now, a fully functioning botanic garden, You all deserve a lot of praise especially yourself Carlo for your dedication, something for you to rightfully very proud of for the rest of your life

well done

regards

Colin

Peter

Congratulations Carlo!

bgl

Carlo,

This is wonderful news, and I am very happy to hear that this is finally happening - after so many years and so many difficulties. Our visit to the Palmetum back in 2010 was certainly a highlight of our visit to Tenerife, and I hope to visit again! The very best wishes for the future success of the Palmetum! :)

Bo-Göran

kylecawazafla

Congratulations Carlo!!! That's amazing!!!

MattyB

Way to go Carlo!!! I've gotta see it.

BS Man about Palms

Fantastic my friend! Excellent work all around!

realarch

Congratulations! Following the garden's progress for all these years on Palmtalk and now it's show time. What a tribute to all the hard work and perseverance. A new star in the sky.

Tim

sur4z

Everyone has probably seen this old vid

Alberto

Congratulations Carlo, I hope to visit the Palmetum one day!

Al in Kona

You stuck it out, didn't give up, in hope that one day (year) this would happen. Thanks and congratulations Carlo.

cassowaryhill

Well done guys thats awesome!! I hope to one day visit!

Tassie_Troy1971

Great new Carlo - Congratulations

I had a sneak peek from Colin's video Footage several yrs ago

Oliver K.

Felicitaciones! This is really great news indeed. And one more big reason to visit the Canary Islands, especially Teneriffa.

Respect and gratitude for all the efforts done so far.

Can't wait to go there...

Regards from Munich, Germany

Peter Pacific

Carlo, you must be thrilled. After all the work, the hardships and unexpected delays, you never gave up. Perseverence, my friend, paid off. Congratulations!

Peter

gyuseppe

Carlo is good news !

Carlo Morici

This is a new video, produced last year by some other friends of the Palmetum. Give a look:

http://vimeo.com/53893773

Carlo

Cindy Adair

Congratulations! I greatly enjoyed your presentation at the last Biennial. Now all your work and patience will finally allow visitors to share your dream!

pindo

Fantastico Carlo. !!!!

Finally is seen realized the dream of many people, and especially yours, who bet all their efforts on this project.

I'm happy to be able to know the Palmetum in the beginning. Really a great experience

Un fuerte abrazo amigo

Jose

palmislandRandy

Congratulations on your project's completion. It looks outstanding.

JakeK

Congratulations Carlo! All the hard work and dedication is finally paying off. I hope to visit some day.

Dave-Vero

This is great news. By the way, the Acoelorraphe thicket in the photo is impressive by Florida standards.

Carlo Morici

I am glad everybody is enjoying the acoelorraphes. We have lots (15?) of huge Acoelorraphe like those. They came from Florida as adult clumps, in 1996, collected in the wild, while Florida was clearing new land for development or agriculture. Since then they grew a lot. Some of them get flooded twice a week, while some others live on drier ridges. The old stems at first slowed down for (2-3?) years and then they grew about 1-1,5 m each. The new shoots came up soon and grew much faster than the older trunks. These younger shoots are now 2-4 m tall ! They all look wonderful when the abundant fruits turn bright orange.

Carlo

Helena

Congratulations Carlo!

Helena

Cedric

Fantastic! I've only ever been to La Gomera in the Canaries and truly loved it, wonderful wonderful special climate. Now I have a special reason to stop off in Tenerife too. Congratulations.

Walter John

I want to see this for myself one day. Aussie Ratpack visit.

mike in kurtistown

Just watched the video. Thanks for the English subtitles. I have vivid memories of our (IPS) tour in 2011. I'm glad to hear that this spectacular garden will now be enjoyed by the general public.

redant

Amazing job, fantastic to see transformations like this.

Brian Bruning

Carlo your obra is finally to fruition after years of your hard work, brains and perservience. This is a gift to all palm lovers and the public in general. Congratulations and Thank You.