IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A shot from my rainforest

Mandrew968

Great to have you back on PalmTalk, your garden looks great, nice and lush!

Thank you, Buddy! Palms are fun, but better to share them with my friends on Palmtalk :)

Updates: first up is Pinanga phillipinensis. I love this palm--it gets slight manganese issues when we are dry, but otherwise an easy palm. Not as colorful as it once was, but I think time will only help. Maybe it is because this palm is not large to begin with, but it seems very slow for a Pinanga.

post-5491-0-44539700-1408711577_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-40064300-1408711589_thumb.jp

And this is one of my Dad's favorites--we saw these with Wal and Ken, some time after the Biennial, at THE Mike Harris Garden. Man, this palm has me thinking about Mike's garden... super good times!

post-5491-0-14191900-1408712675_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-73980900-1408712687_thumb.jp

A couple more shots of my rainforest section. My Licuala ramsayi is not the happiest, but everything else seems to be content.

post-5491-0-34627800-1408712780_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-72881000-1408712791_thumb.jp

I am not sure which Aiphanes this is or even if it is a pure species, but it is fast and Jansin's favorite palm. I am also pretty proud of my Actinokentia--inspired by Jeff Searle, I purchased a small one and am quite tickled that it is holding four healthy leaves at once. A white dendrobium is hanging on in the shot as well.

post-5491-0-42281300-1408713410_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-29978700-1408713425_thumb.jp

These taters are a beautiful and easy grow. One day, maybe, I might get a seedling from the two...

post-5491-0-81833300-1408713583_thumb.jp

And the last update for today is my Calyptrocalyx section. Super low maintenance, but the funny thing is when I plant a Calyptrocalyx out and away from this section, it withers and dies! must be a magical place, this corner...

post-5491-0-62544800-1408713928_thumb.jp

good looking stuff Andrew!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The wife just took these and sent them to me at my work. Thought I would share, even though it looks pretty messy...

post-5491-0-77829000-1417803131_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-67067300-1417803144_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-86389300-1417803148_thumb.jp

The little hookeri in the back--this palm is sooooo hardy! Hardly any supplimental water, vines attacking it, constantly, nasty rocky soil and full South Florida sun! As such, the caliper on it is not up to potential, but it's still worth having, I say.

post-5491-0-01737300-1417804802_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-31992400-1417804811_thumb.jp

Andrew,

That's a great looking hookeri, and I never get tired of seeing a spectacular new red frond! :) And you seem to have quite the jungle there! Slightly messy is just part of the ambience! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks Bo--very kind words. After I posted the Hookeri photos I realized that's not in my rainforest area... and if you think she is nice, I should get a shot of my Dad's--it's about as fat as a steering wheel!

It does look like Hawaii, and like Bo said, that just adds to the overall atmosphere. Mine is messy as well and I like it that way, looks more realistic. Glad to see things are growing so well for you.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

That hook is a monster!! I have not seen one that fat nor did I know they got so fat.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Andrew, that is a "very stocky" Hookeri :greenthumb: I look fwd to more update pics from your garden, incl the Lic sarawakensis and I dont see any mess, looks great.

Pete :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pete, here is that Licuala you wanted an update on--again, sorry for all the weeds! Again, I got this as cabalionii but if it is something more rare, that's cool. It does seem to have larger thorns than a regular grandis does...

post-5491-0-51875100-1418756781_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-18520900-1418756795_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

And this is another Licuala sp. I have--no idea on the species, but it seems to be off to the races now...

post-5491-0-28282700-1418829386_thumb.jp

Pete, here is that Licuala you wanted an update on--again, sorry for all the weeds! Again, I got this as cabalionii but if it is something more rare, that's cool. It does seem to have larger thorns than a regular grandis does...

Wow Andrew , look at that eh, the leaves are becoming more entire, thought it resembled Sarawakensis V much when younger but not now, great lookn Licuala.

And this "beauty" below, has it got thick leaves like a Joey and does it look like clustering ?

Pete :)

post-5709-0-65580300-1418901707.jpg

The one you are asking about does not have thick leaves(from what I recall-might have to give her a feel) and is solitary. The thorns are miniscule.

More shots of the cabalionii.

:greenthumb: very healthy and robust

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 1 month later...

I forget where I posted about Pinanga speciosa, but I got some interest on it, when I did. Since then, my dad's palm has gotten a lot of coloring and thought I would share--mine has yet to show any color other than green... This is an easy palm to grow and I am quite perplexed why I don't see any around.

post-5491-0-24008800-1422896246_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-66746500-1422896252_thumb.jp

I enjoyed the update!

Of course because I put the wrong address in my GPS (and ended up bothering your wife at your house instead of heading straight to your nursery), Lucinda and I got a brief look at the real thing!

It reminded me of Puerto Rico so just the look you want!

Thanks so much for the tour in October and some of my palms from you are tucked in securely in my PR jungle as of last week.

Cindy Adair

Cindy, you certainly didn't bother my wife! I am however, disappointed I didn't get to take you on a little tour of my place, but I am sure you will be back in my neck of the woods, one day, and my palms will only be more presentable. :)

• 1 month later...

My rainforest is really starting to thicken up--almost called the fire department yesterday...

post-5491-0-53880100-1425650066_thumb.jp

post-5491-0-45671400-1425650070_thumb.jp

Nice growth in a relatively short time!

I'm disappointed about the P. philippinensis. I have one and it's lost all of it's color. It's still a neat palm as you said, but I think there's too much heat here in florida. It's probably not water because I give mine a ton of that in a pot. Not sure about the soil... maybe this palm needs specific nutrients to keep its color?

Edit: I also have manganese issues with this palm. I have to supplement every 6 months or so or the leaves start shrinking.

Edited by cobra2326

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Nice growth in a relatively short time!

I'm disappointed about the P. philippinensis. I have one and it's lost all of it's color. It's still a neat palm as you said, but I think there's too much heat here in florida. It's probably not water because I give mine a ton of that in a pot. Not sure about the soil... maybe this palm needs specific nutrients to keep its color?

Edit: I also have manganese issues with this palm. I have to supplement every 6 months or so or the leaves start shrinking.

Yep, that sounds like mine as well--I was looking at it the other day and there is little color, but it still looks neat--almost Bonsai in its' form. I will get a picture, hopefully this weekend--I have so many palms and I try to post as many pics as I can to support my observations and the vast number of species specific threads... Nannorhops is next on the list, as I have been commenting on it and Like to be known as a grower, not a 'palmtalker'--got that one from Pete and I think it's a great saying :) Thanks for the interest, Jon!

Yes, please keep sharing. Your garden is fantastic. Everything looks healthy and happy. It's fun to watch things grow over time :)

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

• 6 months later...