IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rainy Season for Florida

gsytch

This has been one of the best rainy seasons we've had in the 24 years I've lived here. No long dry periods (sometimes 2-3 weeks at a time) like we usually have in my area near the coast and yet no flooding either. 10" or more a month for June, July, and August...and we're approaching 8" for September. The palms have been dropping leaves left and right all summer because they are growing so quickly. The garden looks great! I hardly ran the sprinklers at all this summer which is very unusual. Now the rain is going to shut off as it always does at the end of September and we'll be back to 1-2" a month if we're lucky until next June. I'm looking forward to lower humidity/dew points and cooler temperatures that will come later in the month of October!

same for palmetto/parrish, lots of rain evenly spaced. Not once more than 2.5" in 24 hrs, but consistent. 1.5,1.9,2.2 Monday Tuesday and wednesday, it just spit a bit today. 8.9" for the month of sept so far. If it rained like this every year, I wouldn't need irrigation.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

A little over 5.5" of rain here in the last 3 days. Looks like I will end the month just shy of 10" of the wet stuff.

This is EXACTLY how I would have described the 2012 rainy season here. It was great, loved all the rain, and I have never seen all my palms and other plants as happy. Very consistent and no dry period. I really wish it was that way every year. I guess it was the West Coast's turn this year.

This has been one of the best rainy seasons we've had in the 24 years I've lived here. No long dry periods (sometimes 2-3 weeks at a time) like we usually have in my area near the coast and yet no flooding either. 10" or more a month for June, July, and August...and we're approaching 8" for September. The palms have been dropping leaves left and right all summer because they are growing so quickly. The garden looks great! I hardly ran the sprinklers at all this summer which is very unusual. Now the rain is going to shut off as it always does at the end of September and we'll be back to 1-2" a month if we're lucky until next June. I'm looking forward to lower humidity/dew points and cooler temperatures that will come later in the month of October!

Very heavy rains here in New Port Richey (West Pasco) all summer long punctuated by a few heavy periods. Last week's rains, Sun pm through Wed afternoon, blessed us with over 9" alone. It poured several times. BUCKETS! There was one period in July where it rained 21 straight days. Not all were gullywashers, but the total for July exceeded 20" easily. There were numerous occasions where 3" plus fell in one storm. We did have a week at the end of August into Sept where only one rain fell in 9 days so the hose came out for potted plants. It is still showing rainfall expected this week. Unusual for Oct. By now it usually shuts off for good. It all began in late May with a week or so in mid June of dryness. I have been waiting for the dry season to begin so the tall palms can be pruned. Growth was unreal. Now, a freeze-free winter to follow would be wonderful. :yay:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

• 1 month later...

It rained for over 3 hours straight last night and came up with 3 and 1/2 " for the total. Not bad for late November.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Yeah not much here since late Sept. Oct finished at 1.3" and Nov has had little more than an inch. Just nothing heavy, mild but CLOUDY. Not much sun either. There is hope for the Tue/Wed time frame as a low scoots over Central FL frm the GOM. Models state 1-3" then the first real cooldown - 60's/40's for two days before warming up. If we do get any cold soon, it will be a shocker since there has been nothing more than a few nights in the 50's. Okay by me! But that cold in the Midwest and TX is real cold, and Alaska is now well below zero. :indifferent:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

It rained for over 3 hours straight last night and came up with 3 and 1/2 " for the total. Not bad for late November.

And continues today. Weather person promised it would clear up yesterday afternoon.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B