IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rainy Season for Florida

gsytch

In the past 24 hours 5 seperate storms went over my house. There was one super wicked storm last night around 930 that dumped about 2 1/2 " of rain and one of the most intense lightning storms I have ever seen or heard. Then another storm rolled though about 1AM. All together almost 4" of rain yesterday.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

and nothing but cloudless skies and desert dry conditions here for the past 9 days, and I do mean DRY. As in hose just out yet again! Reached 94F again today but the dewpoint fell to 74F so it was not too bad. Is this going to be all summer? I mean, share the wealth? That Crepe Myrtle is yet again wilted. I may have to begin thinking of deep watering the palms to prevent the fronds from drooping!.................. :yay::violin::rant:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Eric, you must be north of Orlando too. That storm around 9:30 pm last night had worse lightning than any thunderstorm I experienced here last summer (which featured nearly daily storms for months). The wind must have been gusting to 40-50mph here in Altamonte as well. The air was so warm and muggy yesterday (today too), something had to give. I hope this keeps up all summer, plants look great. None of these 5 day breaks where the plants dry out suddenly and unexpectedly since you are not used to watering. Guess I just get lazy. My Clinostigma ponapense lost 2 of its 4 leaves that way a few days ago.

Yes, on the very north edge of College Park. The lightning was so bad I unplugged my laptap and went into the center bathroom for half an hour to be away from all windows. I have never done that before. But it was a constant every 1-2 second flash of lightning and everyone seemed to strike within feet of the house.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I'm back to dragging the hose too, just for my container plants ... :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

I have not even run in from a storm this year, yet. In fact, we have not truly even had one storm. A few were close. Not a drop in 10+ days and counting, and really, barely a cloud. Some high overcast for a few hours today was a break. They are promising a change to my coast by Fri and the weekend, but it is so dry here, we need days of storms. Include the 30 days from early May to early June without a drop, and this has been the driest rainy season to begin in some time. <_<

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Had a much needed 2" yesterday afternoon.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looks like those of us that are closer to the central gulf west coast will have a good chance of seeing rain this weekend.

In the past 24 hours 5 seperate storms went over my house. There was one super wicked storm last night around 930 that dumped about 2 1/2 " of rain and one of the most intense lightning storms I have ever seen or heard. Then another storm rolled though about 1AM. All together almost 4" of rain yesterday.

Pretty scary for us too, we were well into our nighttime cooking and lost power for a few seconds. No worse wind than a few weeks ago, when one of my pine trees lost a limb.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

It has finally rained. A small storm developed right over the city around 11 am...dropping just shy of an inch in some usual heavy rains, nothing strong, just good rains and has remained overcast all day! What a nice relief. My yard is a happy place today! :) More expected this weekend - so its fertilizer time. Finally......All of Florida looked very wet today. Nice, typical summer rainy season day.

I got to hear thunder and think I felt a drop or two of rain today. Sprinklers are running tonight.

Picked up 2.6" of rain today to add to the already high totals for June. If all summers were like this, I wouldn't hate FL summers (the droughty ones so frequent in the past 15-20 years) so much. The storm today was quite intense, similar to others within the past week. It poured for a couple hours today then rained moderately until after sunset. Has stayed in the low-mid 70s for the last 8 hours. When it is summer, all of my plants seem to appreciate all the rain they can get.

The storms danced around me again yesterday. I think today will be my day finally for the rain.

Danced all around me, too. Thundered for hours, cooled off, and...zero. Today is definitely looked better than it has been in some time. The east coast is already lighting up - now hit my yard please! :mrlooney:

Rainy Season finally kicked in at my place in the last week. Over 3" in the final days of June here and July looks like it will get off to a wet start.

Yes, even in my desert...it has rained on and off for the past 3 days. While it has thundered almost constantly, and it has rained, about an inch total since Sat morning...mostly light rains. BUT it is rain. Today was looking better for heavy rains but they are just missing me. However, there is more out in the Gulf so perhaps one big downpour will make it through. The forecast for later this week is very hot and sunny, middle 90's by Friday! :bemused::drool::bemused::badday:

Rained on an off last 3 days, about an inch and continuing. the good thing is no days of 3"+ rain to wash away nutrients. Any rain that hard is just wasted. Florida is very spotty in rain accumulations. SO far this year we sit at 14.5", with 6" of that in june. Sarasota, 30 mins south sits at 29" for the year according to weather underground, and tarpon springs at 44". Hard to believe its in the same state with those accumulations. My area is typically a bit on the dry side, but after Arizona this is jungle rainforest... All my palms are very happy with rain. Fortunately almost all of my palms are rooted out, so this years dry spring(9" in 6 months) didn't do too much damage. Hand watering of the water lovers helped as well, and the overhead shade in my wet loving area is really growing in. Let it rain, let it rain, let the rain fall down on me...

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Rained on an off last 3 days, about an inch and continuing. the good thing is no days of 3"+ rain to wash away nutrients. Any rain that hard is just wasted. Florida is very spotty in rain accumulations. SO far this year we sit at 14.5", with 6" of that in june. Sarasota, 30 mins south sits at 29" for the year according to weather underground, and tarpon springs at 44". Hard to believe its in the same state with those accumulations. My area is typically a bit on the dry side, but after Arizona this is jungle rainforest... All my palms are very happy with rain. Fortunately almost all of my palms are rooted out, so this years dry spring(9" in 6 months) didn't do too much damage. Hand watering of the water lovers helped as well, and the overhead shade in my wet loving area is really growing in. Let it rain, let it rain, let the rain fall down on me...

Whoever measures Tarpon Springs is dead wrong! I am 10 mins north and we are lucky to have had 20" so far...and no microclimate could be THAT drastic. Notice I said minutes north. However, they have had a few storms that we missed lately. The past 3 days, and this morning, are continual rains but not extreme! 1 1/2" yesterday adds to the total nicely. The radar is a bit lighter today, so perhaps that thing in the sky may shine? :yay:

You can have that thing in the sky that shines. I'll take another nice rainy summer with frequent cloudy conditions and days mostly in the 80s rather than 90s. The palms love this. The rainfall for June (our wettest month) was above normal here, but since the remaining summer months average a bit lower, I hope the deluge continues.

I keep telling you guys the rain is stuck in Louisiana. Please come and get it to help it ease along to our east. I mean it was nice for a while, but enough is enough.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

WONDERFUL rains.... 6 1/2" in the past five days incl 3 inches in less than an hour in yesterdays deluge. It just came down in buckets for about 35-40 minutes, temp flooding streets into rivers. Brighter today. The yard, and palms, and bromeliads, all are so very happy (as am I)! :drool:

Gsytch, I am so glad to see you are finally getting plentiful rains. It seems like your area is always the first to get dry and the last to start getting rain when the rains kick-in.

WONDERFUL rains.... 6 1/2" in the past five days incl 3 inches in less than an hour in yesterdays deluge. It just came down in buckets for about 35-40 minutes, temp flooding streets into rivers. Brighter today. The yard, and palms, and bromeliads, all are so very happy (as am I)! :drool:

there you go, you are way ahead of my place, 1.5" in 5 days, 15" for the year. We have been hand watering for months as the HOA irrigation is limited to 2 days a week and we got less than 9" of rain the first 6 months of the year... Sarasota, 30 mins south, has doubled us in rainfall. I have watched them get 3" a few times and we get NADA. On the positive side, mosquitos are kind of rare in my yard, we rarely see them.

Tom Blank

lord I just got home from two monster storms today. One hit around 1pm and the last just ended. ANOTHER 3" plus in the gauge, driving totals to nearly 10" in a week. This is way too MUCH! I knew this was going to happen. I mean we have had deluge after deluge for the past two days. Streets as rivers. And it is thundering as I write this. Okay, I;ve had my rain. Now its your turn :-)) :yay:

lord I just got home from two monster storms today. One hit around 1pm and the last just ended. ANOTHER 3" plus in the gauge, driving totals to nearly 10" in a week. This is way too MUCH! I knew this was going to happen. I mean we have had deluge after deluge for the past two days. Streets as rivers. And it is thundering as I write this. Okay, I;ve had my rain. Now its your turn :-)) :yay:

that's OK we got 0.8" more than enough for 1 day. Glad I put down florikan osmotic release fert, doesn't get washed away...

Tom Blank

there you go, you are way ahead of my place, 1.5" in 5 days, 15" for the year. We have been hand watering for months as the HOA irrigation is limited to 2 days a week and we got less than 9" of rain the first 6 months of the year... Sarasota, 30 mins south, has doubled us in rainfall. I have watched them get 3" a few times and we get NADA. On the positive side, mosquitos are kind of rare in my yard, we rarely see them.

I can no longer go into the yard without getting swarmed.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

The rains in the last week have become a daily event . Yesterday I received the heaviest daily (.76") since Andrea made the pass in early June. My total for the year stands just shy of 16" .

Edited by Tampa Scott

You guys call that rain..........scoff...... :indifferent: ..... I've had 23 inches in 2 days! and another 5 to 10 inches expected! About to start building an ark up here <_<

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Are you serious about the 23 inches David? I've heard Panama City is mostly underwater. I'm actually about to visit my parents there tomorrow.

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

You guys call that rain..........scoff...... :indifferent: ..... I've had 23 inches in 2 days! and another 5 to 10 inches expected! About to start building an ark up here <_<

David,

this is ideal for all your new plantings in that sandy soil, a perfect series of storms for your new additions.

Meanwhile its raining in palmetto again, 0.25" and counting. Im sure my archontos, kentiopsis, and copernicia are loving it. My irrigation system has been shut off for 3 days, waiting for at least 3 dry days to reset it.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

It just will not stop now! I have measured over 12" since last Thurs evening, and that does not include the current storm/deluge. Even July 4th was a huge storm around 5pm that swamped us in downpours and lightning. Daily. Heavy. Today is windy, too. The sound of thunder has become so common. I have MORE than enough, and there is more predicted in the next few days. We need some sunshine and dry air for a few days. Uh...more downpours now! I guess I cannot rival the 23" up north, but 12" plus is impressive! Total for year is now over 25" and counting. :badday::yay:

It just will not stop now! I have measured over 12" since last Thurs evening, and that does not include the current storm/deluge. Even July 4th was a huge storm around 5pm that swamped us in downpours and lightning. Daily. Heavy. Today is windy, too. The sound of thunder has become so common. I have MORE than enough, and there is more predicted in the next few days. We need some sunshine and dry air for a few days. Uh...more downpours now! I guess I cannot rival the 23" up north, but 12" plus is impressive! Total for year is now over 25" and counting. :badday::yay:

I mean a week ago Thurs. Forgot today is Friday.

I am not far away (Palm Harbor) and here are my stations stats for 2013 so far........quite a bit lighter than NPR on the rain end of things.

High: Low: Average: Temperature: 94.7 °F 37.2 °F 70.4 °F Dew Point: 80.3 °F 19.2 °F 60.0 °F Humidity: 94.0% 21.0% 71.3% Wind Speed: 27.0mph from the North - 0.8mph Wind Gust: 27.0mph from the NW - - Wind: - - SSW Pressure: 30.27in 29.52in - Precipitation: 18.52in

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I am not far away (Palm Harbor) and here are my stations stats for 2013 so far........quite a bit lighter than NPR on the rain end of things.

High: Low: Average: Temperature: 94.7 °F 37.2 °F 70.4 °F Dew Point: 80.3 °F 19.2 °F 60.0 °F Humidity: 94.0% 21.0% 71.3% Wind Speed: 27.0mph from the North - 0.8mph Wind Gust: 27.0mph from the NW - - Wind: - - SSW Pressure: 30.27in 29.52in - Precipitation: 18.52in

Your rainfall is quite abit lower. This past Wed alone the skies opened up for about 30 mins...I mean OPENED. I could not even see driving on the side streets. Gauge registered over 3" for that one alone, and we had two more storms. Yesterday was much lighter, two thunderstorms and around .90"....today is finally much sunnier and drier, and I suspect much less rain chance but who knows.......seabreezes will tell. :yay:

While it has rained daily since the weekend, with a LOT of thunder, the rains were mostly missing me, with lighter amounts or a 5 min downpour at best. Last night, POW! The line came through and dumped 1.3" in about an hour, lots of lightning but no severe weather. Really nice! I am selling at USF in Tampa this weekend and hope the storms stay away for most of the sale day(s) Sat and Sun. I use it to advertise my one day sale here on the 20th, so foot traffic handing out flyers is needed. Pleasant morning! :drool:

FINALLY! It's raining big honking bucketfuls!! Thank you Chantal!

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Half an inch yesterday, half an inch today, 5" in july so far. Everything is very happy, this looks like a great growing year with the mild winter and a consistent wet season. things are growing so fast, I think I can see spears moving in real time.... :drool:

Tom Blank

While it has rained daily since the weekend, with a LOT of thunder, the rains were mostly missing me, with lighter amounts or a 5 min downpour at best. Last night, POW! The line came through and dumped 1.3" in about an hour, lots of lightning but no severe weather. Really nice! I am selling at USF in Tampa this weekend and hope the storms stay away for most of the sale day(s) Sat and Sun. I use it to advertise my one day sale here on the 20th, so foot traffic handing out flyers is needed. Pleasant morning! :drool:

I have never attended the USF plant sale in July. I have always attended the Spring and Fall plant sales. I made up my mind that I would check it out this year. I just hope the rains hold off a bit Sat. morning.

and the beat keeps on coming DOWN...another heavy shower this morning. TOTAL exceeds 8" for July so far, and appx 16" for June/July. Despite the irregularity of the rains, it has just kept on coming. Now stay away from USF Saturday morning! We've had plenty :-)) :)

Did some much needed weeding yesterday morning before the rains. Used the opportunity to dig down 3-4 inches to check see what the soil looked like. Living soil is the key to happy palms in my opinion. :winkie:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B