IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rainy Season for Florida

gsytch

There is good likelihood that the rainy season will kick in next week. Models show good moisture and seabreeze collisions with the S and E flow over Florida. This is great news for rain. While the potential for hail exists in early season storms, it appears that everything will moisten up for those wonderful afternoon and evenings showers and storms. It has been very dry for 2 weeks. Comfortable, but dry. Let us hope for some good palm growing weather!....Papa needs to fertilize! :mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Wooohoooo! Gsytch, it's been looking a lot like a Quaker Oats rice cake here, so we thank you for the wonderful news!

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Well, a summer pattern setting up only means there is the CHANCE for rains, not necessarily at our house (s)! Yesterday was a decent seabreeze collision over Polk County south, so who knows as the days progress. Today is brilliantly sunny, about 86F DP 71F and a wonderful breeze off 80F GOM water. Perfect weather in my mind...except for some rainfall..... :mrlooney:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

What a weird day yesterday. There is a good size lake that's in our backyard. The rain was just only a snivel, but it was sniveling only in the lake! lol.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

I am always thrilled when the rainy season begins. Here's hoping for another summer like last. Extremely rainy and consistently so. By the end of the summer, ALL the area landscaping and other vegetation looked so healthy; even the cacti and other desert plants never looked better from what I observed. All the rain also meant it wasn't as brutally hot as it is during average or droughty summers. This year, we skipped over that period in late April/May we often have where it gets really hot (91-97F for highs) but the rains haven't started yet.

Maybe we are back in a pattern similar to the 1980s here where the summer rains were mostly consistent and reliable.

A couple of inches so far this morning.......I like! :) May 20th is typically the kick off for rainy season. Keep it coming.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Dry dry dry. Storms formed inland this afternoon and are pushing SSE away from the coast - and my house. Not too bad out though...upper 80's DP 73 blue, clear skies and a nice seabreeze. Darker inland. I'll end up watering with the roar of thunder in the background, like usual in May! :violin:

How in the world do you guys manage with dew points in the 70's? That just sounds sticky as can be, you don't need rain, the air is almost liquid water, just put an AC out over your palms and it will drip like crazy. Even Hawaii has dew-points in the 40's and 50's.

How in the world do you guys manage with dew points in the 70's? That just sounds sticky as can be, you don't need rain, the air is almost liquid water, just put an AC out over your palms and it will drip like crazy. Even Hawaii has dew-points in the 40's and 50's.

Hmmm, Im not so sure that the hilo side of big island with 100"+ of rain a year has many 40-50 degree dewpoints. I heard that they recommend you don't have any leather clothing, it rots quite fast. Dewpoints in florida can get into the 70's this time of year quite a bit, and all we can do is hope for rain. When you soil is sandy as florida can be, you need dew and lots of tain in the heat to keep things happy.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Hmmm, Im not so sure that the hilo side of big island with 100"+ of rain a year has many 40-50 degree dewpoints. I heard that they recommend you don't have any leather clothing, it rots quite fast. Dewpoints in florida can get into the 70's this time of year quite a bit, and all we can do is hope for rain. When you soil is sandy as florida can be, you need dew and lots of tain in the heat to keep things happy.

I know what you mean about Hilo, my shoes rotted there after 3 days. I wasn't talking about Hilo, but even there the dew points are in the 60's. Kauai North shore has dew points running in the 40's today. Hawaii is not even close as sticky as Florida, especially in the parts that tourists hang out in. Check Wunderground.

I know what you mean about Hilo, my shoes rotted there after 3 days. I wasn't talking about Hilo, but even there the dew points are in the 60's. Kauai North shore has dew points running in the 40's today. Hawaii is not even close as sticky as Florida, especially in the parts that tourists hang out in. Check Wunderground.

Hawaii is so variable with some west coast areas getting 18" of rain and some places on the north shore of kawaii getting 200". All I can say is I never rotted any leather shoes in florida in 3 years, I have the same ones. But if your temps are 75 and your dew point is 65, its pretty humid. Hilo station is reading 73F with a dewpoint of 66F. the current dewpoint in palmetto is 65F, air temp is 75F. Sounds like Hilo....

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Yeah, Hilo specifically is every bit as humid as Florida and probably much more so when you consider day/night and year round averages. Florida days tend to have fairly low humidity from October to April (not always) and even our summer afternoons have humidity that averages in the 50%s inland (after rain and/or night is MUCH more humid regardless of the time of year). Also, Hilo doesn't get really hot like here so dew-points don't get quite as high either. I remember hiking a little rainforest trail on the southern Big Island that led to a beautiful waterfall. It was as muggy as it gets and it rained (briefly, but heavily) like 3-4 separate times during the hour or so I was there.

On a related note, I had read that the rainy season on average begins on May 23-24 here in the Orlando area. I guess this year it started early (May 19). The palms (and other plants) already have a slightly different look to them, more robust and deep green.

Got a real nice soaking early this morning before dawn at around 4:30 am or whatever-dark-o'clock it was. Hoping Gsytch got some, too...sounds like it's needed there as much as here.

Shirleypt.png

Got to hear the thunder yesterday afternoon, but the rain stayed inland in my area. I have not received rain for 3 weeks now on the NW side of the bay.

Rain? What's that?

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

IT RAINED - for 4 minutes! Wow! I'm stoked....get the hose out yet again. Inches of rain inland, thunder, but none of significance here........May goes on...... :sick:

Got a good soaking for 2 hours late this afternoon. The tree frogs will be singing tonight.

Moose Land is getting some nice rain over the last 3 days.

Mulch is down, everthing is fertilized and all plants are looking sweet :lol:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Torrential rains around here the last 3 days. May has been a moist month here and cooler. it is usually very hot and very dry.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

We're getting our fair share :), with more on the way. Irrigation system is off for a few days. :greenthumb: It also seems the night time temps are still a few degrees below normal, but I can live with it.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Today(wednesday), it's been raining off and on all day and will probably end up with an inch or two. Yesterday, a very little, but on Monday we got a downpour in the way of 5"! OUCH! So this week it's been real wet.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

2 inches last night.

Torrential rains around here the last 3 days. May has been a moist month here and cooler. it is usually very hot and very dry.

Well, we'll take the slack as it is so dry here, I am overworked on the hose. Other than a 3 minute shower Monday, NOTHING but blue skies. Living on the coast, those damn seabreezes keep the rains inland. The next week looks dry, so it is 19 days and counting for me since anything substantial! :yay:

Living on the coast, those damn seabreezes keep the rains inland.

I'll bet Sebring gets rain every single day. Keep an eye on the radar in that area. Even when there's a -20% rain chance, it rains there.

Well, we'll take the slack as it is so dry here, I am overworked on the hose. Other than a 3 minute shower Monday, NOTHING but blue skies. Living on the coast, those damn seabreezes keep the rains inland. The next week looks dry, so it is 19 days and counting for me since anything substantial! :yay:

Greg - Seabreezes keep your plants toasty during cold fronts. Bet you have a much larger selection of plants that do well for you that do not thrive in Sebring.

Rain was very light yesterday, but it kept the humidity high. Ground was still wet. Just got a very nice brief shower. It managed to get all the mulch wet - even under canopy. Thats 5 straught days in the Moose Land :wub:

Well, at the moment desert comes to mind rather than "toasty", and with some strong breezes expected this weekend, 15 mph or so, it will only facilitate drying out even more. I have a 12 foot Crepe Myrtle that was wilted yesterday! That is dry! :yay:

Still no significant rain here. Our well is almost dry as well, though it has enough in it to water what I have until the rain arrives.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Well, at the moment desert comes to mind rather than "toasty", and with some strong breezes expected this weekend, 15 mph or so, it will only facilitate drying out even more. I have a 12 foot Crepe Myrtle that was wilted yesterday! That is dry! :yay:

Oooh, that is dry :rant:

Got a good down pour in Cudjoe Key yesterday afternoon at the house. Right after we came back in with 9 yellowtail and 3 tuna.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Still no significant rain here. Our well is almost dry as well, though it has enough in it to water what I have until the rain arrives.

Yes, very dry. 23 days since our last rainfall (the 4 mins last Mon doesn't count since it was dried up instantly). Missing out on all the rains last week was such a bummer. But, May is usually like that. That rainy season needs to hurry along. DP at 57F so the air is unusually dry. Deep watering of the palms for sure! :violin:

I had a feeling that slightly premature start to the rainy season here this year would have an interruption in late May before it really got underway. The landscape is fairly dry (though not quite desperately dry here in Orlando) and as long as the rains kicks in by June 1 or so I'm not too worried. We often have times here in the mid-spring to early summer where the crape myrtles get wilty, especially the ones planted in medians or other areas surrounded by paved surfaces.

Well, I HEARD thunder and the winds kicked up 25mph and gustier....and nothing. Nada. Zero. 25 days and counting. I am getting a little tired of this desert. Then again, I bet I get dumped on when it does rain! :violin:

I really did not expect it today, but a little over 1/4" fell here this evening.

1/164 of an inch fell here yesterday while I was watering :P

No complaints from Palm Beach County :)

It's been weeks since I had any rain in my yard. But just a few miles away east of I-75 where my son goes to school it's been pouring every other afternoon it seems. All I get to see is their clouds while I'm out with a garden hose.

It's been weeks since I had any rain in my yard. But just a few miles away east of I-75 where my son goes to school it's been pouring every other afternoon it seems. All I get to see is their clouds while I'm out with a garden hose.

I'm with ya on this. I am now at 26 days without any rainfall here. I teach high school 5 mins away - today it poured there for 10 mins. Here - zero! Winds are gusting to 25mph easy only further drying everything out - and with no seabreeze any showers are moving along rather than bump up and get heavy. I'm looking at a large Crepe Myrtle wilted in my yard! Ouch..........

I'm with ya on this. I am now at 26 days without any rainfall here. I teach high school 5 mins away - today it poured there for 10 mins. Here - zero! Winds are gusting to 25mph easy only further drying everything out - and with no seabreeze any showers are moving along rather than bump up and get heavy. I'm looking at a large Crepe Myrtle wilted in my yard! Ouch..........

Dang Greg - that must be frustrating. I'm not even going to tell ya how much fell here today. :innocent:

AND the radar is lit up some with lots of reds and oranges in my county area moving.........NW away from me. The same places that got it yesterday. I just watered AGAIN and OMG the yard is stressed out and my shadehouses full of plants look even worse. Nothing but sunshine all day long. Frustrating? jus' a lil'.............. :violin:

Dang Greg - that must be frustrating. I'm not even going to tell ya how much fell here today. :innocent:

I'm with Ron. We've had 6+ inches since Sunday & it's there's more rain expected. Heck, it's pouring right now.