IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wagnerianus starts to flower

Texeltropics

For the first time my Trachycarpus wagnerianus starts to flower, Hopefully my T.fortunei starts to flower soon very well and that they will be male and female...

post-1108-0-17166900-1368794753_thumb.jp

You have to be proud. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

So excited for you! Especially knowing where you are. Keep the photos coming.

We've only lived with palms for about 3 years now and everytime a spathe opens it still makes me smile. Just the other day I sent hubby at work a few photos of one of our mules that cracked open the spathe in the a.m. and then sent another photo in the late afternoon when I noticed all the yellow inflourescence pouring out. I'd love to be there the moment it opens. That mule has one emerging spathe and our other mule has one that should open sooner. So maybe I'll still get lucky this go around. Keep an eye out on yours because it happens fast over a matter of hours and seeing it open is really the reward for taking care of it.

Our T. Fortunei put out spathes a month or so ago I think. It's the first year we decided to cut them off before they opened completely. We decided we haven't been watering it enough and a lot of the fronds were drying and browning out in the sun so we wanted more of the engery to go towards the new growth at this point in time. With more water now it seems to be looking better on top too. I kind of feel bad missing out on the full blooming process.

Edited by WestCoastGal

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

My fortunei flowers every year, but for some reason i dont see flowers yet. The waggie is the first time. Its always nice to see palms flowering i agree. I Will put some photo's on another topic about the flowering fortunei last Year

Its very special after having a few very bad and much too long winters.

Will you do Wagner X Fortune?

New dutch hybrid?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Will you do Wagner X Fortune?

New dutch hybrid?

That hybrid has been produced on larger scale for a few years now by big wholesalers, also the otherway around. Have done it myself as well, pretty easy to do.

Southwest

My fortunei flowers every year, but for some reason i dont see flowers yet. The waggie is the first time. Its always nice to see palms flowering i agree. I Will put some photo's on another topic about the flowering fortunei last Year

Its very special after having a few very bad and much too long winters.

It's the cold why some of the palms are so late with flowers. Here all the fortunei's has flowers now but some of them are much further then the other. Here it's just the other way around and it looks like the waggie (female) have decided to not flowering this year unfornately :(

Southwest

I was looking forward to seeing yours flower. Do you really think that's it?

We had some nice weather in the 70-80 and even some 90s for few days where we are but the last few weeks have been mostly 60-70s with night temps in 40-50s. We have spathes now on our butia and two mules (one has two on it, one opened already), however the temps seem to have delayed any further opening. It's disappointing and we check every few days. Suppose to be in 90s Saturday I think however. Overall it's been a cool May for us.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14