IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

JOHNSON, Ken - Director

bgl

PalmTalk Username: Ken Johnson

Ken saw his first palm at six years old and “it was in my yard!” At 14, he worked in a palm nursery pulling weeds. After college Ken again worked with palms and established his own palm specialty business . . . almost 30 years ago! He writes “On the way, I found the International Palm Society. I have served 6 years as president of my local chapter and have been a previous IPS board member. I look forward to the 2014 Biennial!”

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I like to fish!

By the way the picture of me in my avatar is about 30 years old. The Talipot I am climbing died when blown over in Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

post-50-0-70165900-1369047755_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I DIG PALMS

Call me anytime to chat about transplanting palms.

305-345-8918

https://www.facebook...KenJohnsonPalms

• 2 weeks later...

I have so many stories of palmy things I have encountered that many of my palmy friends ask me if I ever considered telling them in a book. This new section is not a book but I will tell a few stories here that may be at least worthy of PalmTalk.

I was told by a member of a group on a trip to Tingo Maria, Peru that palms were the next new thing. What did I know? I was just 17 and interested in orchids. Well i did know that some palms in our first house died. Some kind of disease had hit them (Lethal Yellow). I had eaten coconuts when I was 5 and still living in Upstate New York but by the age of twenty I was studying at a University in Miami and discovered Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. The proverbial seed was planted.

A few years after college I started working for Stanly Whitman. He owned Bal Harbour Shops, a very ritzy mall on the beach. It had just been added on to and they needed some 45' tall Coccothrinax for the parking garage, can you imagine? The search for those palms was the beginning of my career. The people I met and work that I did helped form my business and my social life! The story of how the palms were put in pots on the second floor of a parking garage will have to wait. Telling how we got them through the holes in the roof of the 3rd, 4th, and 5th, floor will take up too much time....

• Upvote 1

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

Dear Ken,

you are a hard worker,and iam impressed by your work.And your threads & post in our discussion board do inspire palm enthusiasts globally.

And we are lucky to have a IPS directors who is so active in our forum.Who also gives us tips & tricks when we have to move our palms from

one location to another.You are a proactive member of our forum capable of multitasking..And you remind me of Intels i7 extreme processor.

By the way your avatar "Rocks" and you know why.

God bless,

kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Thanks Kris! When I found PalmTalk I knew I would love it. This new way to participate with fellow members is second to none! Thanks I.P.S. B)

The first local palm society meeting I went to was a field trip to a member yard. Bryce and Eva Ryan were the host and hostess. At that meeting I met Theodora Buhler, she told me all about the palm society and I told her that while I was interested I really did not have the time because I knew what would happen. She asked "what would happen?" I said "I would become President" and I did not think I had enough time. Well a few years latter I was elected and began my 6 years as president of the local. Along the way I was elected to the I.P.S. board of directors and got to see how the big boys did it. It was fantastic to see the inner workings of the group and to participate not only in the planning but in the events as well.

• Upvote 2

I DIG PALMS

305-345-8918

• 2 months later...

Think Filed of Dreams quote (...if you build it - they will come) when it comes to Mr. Johnson.....If you need to move it - Ken should be the one. Aside from growing some very nice specimen trees on his farm - Ken specializes in his understanding of the subterranean intricacies and skills necessary to move the biggest of the big.

He's an okay fisherman too....

~ Rich

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

• 4 weeks later...

I have so many stories of palmy things I have encountered that many of my palmy friends ask me if I ever considered telling them in a book. This new section is not a book but I will tell a few stories here that may be at least worthy of PalmTalk.

I was told by a member of a group on a trip to Tingo Maria, Peru that palms were the next new thing. What did I know? I was just 17 and interested in orchids. Well i did know that some palms in our first house died. Some kind of disease had hit them (Lethal Yellow). I had eaten coconuts when I was 5 and still living in Upstate New York but by the age of twenty I was studying at a University in Miami and discovered Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. The proverbial seed was planted.

A few years after college I started working for Stanly Whitman. He owned Bal Harbour Shops, a very ritzy mall on the beach. It had just been added on to and they needed some 45' tall Coccothrinax for the parking garage, can you imagine? The search for those palms was the beginning of my career. The people I met and work that I did helped form my business and my social life! The story of how the palms were put in pots on the second floor of a parking garage will have to wait. Telling how we got them through the holes in the roof of the 3rd, 4th, and 5th, floor will take up too much time....

If you wrote a book, it wouldn't be in the BOTANICAL section! :floor: