IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floridians beware....again!

SubTropicRay

The early part of next week looks cold again.  The GFS forecasting model has Tampa down to 37F next Wednesday morning.  That's down from 43F forecasted yesterday. Accuweather is saying how the northeastern part of the country may see the coldest February since 1978.  I will start a post called "More On the Ridiculously Cold Winter" if the forecast comes to fruition.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Tell me it aint so! :(

Come on March!

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

How's February 6 (soon to be remembered as the notorious Freeze of Feb '07, I hope not) looking for you? weather.com says 40ºF low (probably with a -15º cone of uncertainty at this point).

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

This morning the forcast for feb 6 they had our low here in Central Va at 13. Now the moved it up to  17  hopefully  by  Tuesday it will be higher.  

I can try to build a wall for all you in Fla .. and keep this cold more north.

will try to do the things that they say can't be done

Ray,

Our first mistake,is putting any stock in these models, forecasts,weathermen!  ???

They don't have a clue what the actual temps will be ,even 12 hours before the event ,little lone a week out! :angry:

I was forcast here in Titusville,  by the NWS 12 hours before, to have a low of 41 F for  sunday night/monday morning..actual temps 36.7F

The NWS again 12 hours before the event foercast me at 31 F for monday night /tuesday morning actual temp 39.8 F.

Yes I was actually colder the night before the BIG freeze event! ???

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Howdy all.Im new to this board,but wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the NWS this year.How they can continue to miss the lows by 10-15 degrees is amazing.Its been the same way all year.Maybe the models are biased due to past history,I dont know.Just last night my forecast low was 34.I had an actual low of 44.9 this morning.Same story all winter long.I guess if they have to err,it be on the cold side so noone gets caught off guard.

Dave

Seems to be a continual problem for NWS  that I have articulated directly to the Western Regional Headquarters in Salt Lake City.  Poor reporting/unintelligible discussions//over reliance on models.  But I do see improvement overall.  We must remember that the agency is under-funded.   :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Man, Happ, I didn't realize the NWS is in such disrepair. Who do you think we should listen to? My next bet after the NWS is The Weather Channel. I usually follow the NWS but it is true they have predicted lower (by 4 or 5 degrees) than actually occurs when the recent colder stuff hit. But during warmer periods, I tend to be cooler than they predict  ???  I guess that is OK. I am sure they predict lower when it really counts, just like they would predict higher during a heat wave. They just want the public to be safe when it really counts I guess.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

This next cold front prediction is still a ways out, so things can change dramatically yet, but it looks like the highs will only get to the upper 60's to low 70's for highs, so cool. But the lows aren't forecast to be that low at all down here. Low to mid 50's.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Bobby in NY is sure in for a test early next week, lows around 6F forcasted for the city.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

We've had a week of miserable cold, and we're in store for at least another seven days according to weather.com.  They predict 19F for both Feb 5 and Feb 6 for my town.  My T. fortunei is getting a bit of an olive hue to even the newer fronds.  That's my only outdoor palm.  We had a lows of 17F and 21F on Tuesday and Wednesday morning.

Hopefully after this snap, we'll get some warm weather again.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Don't put too much stock in the 7-10 day forecasts.  Don't overly worry about any forecast over 4-5 days.  Why?  Because we were supposed to get a brutal cold front 10 days out, that rivaled an 89 type freeze, and it ended up that we aren't even getting a freeze.  These things can change soooo dramatically over the course of 10 days.  Look at them for informational purposes only.

Bobby in NY is sure in for a test early next week, lows around 6F forcasted for the city.

Tell me about it, Doug...... If that happens I'm gonna be SH#$#ing my pants.... My palm-enclosures are only raising the temps by about 30f total.. If it goes down to 6f in the city, it'll be 0f here...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Wow ... al that cold ... I have lucky then ? After the mildest January ever, also februari starts sooo mild! Good luck with the cold over there ...

Robbin

Southwest

The models be flippin' again.

Right now I'm sitting outside in my jungle.. Present temp is 70f...  Tomorrow getting on a plane for Tampa...  Ray it's PARTY TIME !! :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Happy house hunting Bobby

Thanks, Frank..... hey, if you're gonna be around why not come to Tampa for a night?..

Btw, the Livistona Decoras are doing GREAT.. I separated and repotted them and they're growing like crazy..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Here we go again with the difference between Weather.com and Accuweather... Accuweather says on Monday night we're dropping down to 7f, and weather.com says 15f.... that's a pretty big difference.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

NWS gives Vero Beach warm weather through Wednesday.

Only downside seems to be a wet weekend, not good for a big outdoor plant sale.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Going to be nice and warm here by Sat or Sun. temps in upper 70s with loads of sun. Great for a plant sale. :)

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(Dave-Vero @ Feb. 01 2007,22:47)

NWS gives Vero Beach warm weather through Wednesday.

Only downside seems to be a wet weekend, not good for a big outdoor plant sale.

Um, Dave?

What big outdoor plant sale??

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Gardenfest.  The local garden club holds it at Riverside Park on the barrier island just south of the north bridge.  Starting at 9am Saturday.  http://www.gardenclubofirc.org/gardenfest.htm

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Cold front went caput.