• Similar Content

• Teegurr
      By Teegurr
      Hi, new member here. I just received these Canary Island date palm seeds from treeseeds.com. I wonder how long I should keep them indoors and when to plant outside. Also, what soil would be good for them? I appreciate the help! 

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      Hello all! Just wanted to get your opinion on what could be causing my canary island date palms to have dark/ burned looking spots on each rachis that has come out this summer? 
      The palm seems to be very happy as it has put out quite a few new fronds, just curious. 
    • palmie
      By palmie
      I have a mature Canary Island Date Palm that needs fertilizer badly.  The margins of the fronds are turning yellow prematurely. I finally got the right fertilizer, but I’m not sure how to apply it.  The instruction says to apply it to the area under the canopy.  But the area under canopy are mostly hedges and grass. What do I suppose to do? 
      Apply the fertilizer to the hedges and grass and hope that the wrong fertilizer won’t kill them and some will make it to the root zones of the palm??  
      Alternatively, skip the hedges and the grass, apply only to the Root Initiation Zone (RIZ) of the palm wherever possible, including the dormant aerial roots?
      I’m in South California.  The fertilizer I initially ordered was Palmgain, but it never arrived.  I went to a local store and got Palmtone (organic 4-1-5) and Epsom Salt instead to mimic Palmgain.  Since Palmtone is organic, I'm assuming it's ok to apply close to the trunk where the RIZ is.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Coasta
      By Coasta
      hello everyone! Just had a question. I have had this canary island date palm in the ground for about a year and a half. It seems to be growing pretty slow as the trunk hasn't expanded a whole lot and the leaves don't seem to be getting longer. I do fertilize it and water it a few times a week. Any idea orare they this slow when they are small?
      Also I notice that at some nurseries I go to the fronds are way longer than what mine are (45 inches), with about the same size trunk. Does this mean my canary island date palm won't have those awesome super long green fronds and they will be shorter? 

• weedwhacker
      By weedwhacker
      Hi,
      I live in SoCal and recently transplanted an already pruned, 10ft Canary Island Date Palm. I'd done a lot of research about how to dig out the rootball, prepare the new hole, etc. We saved as much of the rootball as we could, over a foot out from the trunk all around.
      I'm watering her 2x a week (soaking the area around the tree - used to water 1x day in the beginning, then every other day etc), the soil is well drained and part washed sand, she's been in the ground for 2 1/2 months and is definitely growing new fronds in the center. A couple of weeks ago, I used some slow-release palm fertilizer.
      However, since a couple of weeks after the transplant, the outermost ring of fronds has died after browning. I thought, OK, some rootball was naturally a bit damaged.
      Unfortunatley, the next ring of fronds has also slowly started to brown and die and I noticed that the tips of fresher fronds have also turned a bit brown. Now I'm worried that the tree might not make it. 
      Can the experts here take a look at these pictures and let me know if my treed is doomed? - Is there anything I can do differently to stop the browning?