IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

help me to save my canary island date palm !!!

rcxm

help me to save my canary island date palm:

just plant it around 3 months( we are in riverside , california), now leaf end and some leaf middle part looks brown color and dry , i go to homedepot to check , some guy said water too much, some guy said root need more water, very confused , any suggestion to save the tree ???

thanks a lot !!

pic as following atatched, you can see all leaf end cracked, dry cracked. middle part some dry brown color too .

how to save the tree, i worried it will die sooner

post-7728-0-27987200-1368252967_thumb.jp

post-7728-0-91162500-1368252967.jpg

post-7728-0-23669700-1368252968_thumb.jp

post-7728-0-90084400-1368252968_thumb.jp

A picture of the entire tree and where it is planted will help diagnose the problem. How often do you water and for how long? What is the soil like that you planted it in and from what size container was it growing in when you bought it?

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

i planted it in my front yard, i am in riverside county south california, i use the homedepot special palm soil .

yes, our area had full sun ,

first one month i water a lot , every day one time , later 2 month , i water every week , i checked root , now is dry soil .

it looks ok to me. give it some more time. its probably just brown tipping due to the shock of being moved and planted. watering every day will probably lead to root rot. i think once a week is plenty. good luck and welcome to the forum!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

thanks for your info , i atatched more pics , i felt something maybe wrong , i got this tree 3 month , first month water a lot , later 2 month one week water one time , some leaf middle part change to dry brown color . appreciate your further suggestion

post-7728-0-51136500-1368287250_thumb.jp

post-7728-0-16253700-1368287252_thumb.jp

post-7728-0-53468200-1368287254_thumb.jp

post-7728-0-04048000-1368287257_thumb.jp

post-7728-0-97001200-1368287258_thumb.jp

post-7728-0-50512900-1368287260_thumb.jp

post-7728-0-61061200-1368287262_thumb.jp

post-7728-0-02459800-1368287265_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

If the newest emerging leaf is brown then your palm isn't getting enough water after the transplant. Usually the soil the palm grew inside its pot and your native soil doesn't match. This can cause the rootball to dry out even if the entire surrounding soil is wet. This is especially a problem with sprinkler irrigation, and looking at the way yours is planted, it's mounded and not at soil level.

Even if you choose to plant it on a mound, you need to create a swale around the palm and flood the swale at least once a week for the first 2-3 months. The reason you need to do this is because The swale mitigates that problem and will keep the root ball from drying out. Another option is to put a dripper right into the center of the rootball but below the trunk line, but this is usually not on option unless you have a drip system in place already.

Eventually, once the palm roots grow out of the former potted rootball soil into the native soil, then you can rely on just your sprinklers. But for now you need that supplemental watering.

• Upvote 1

Jeff, Why is it pruned so severely. If the fronds trimmed off were dead, then I understand. Otherwise, that kind of severe pruning, if done often, will stunt the palm's growth since sun catching horizontal leaves aren't present and the tree is producing much fewer carbohydrates, its lifeblood, than otherwise. I think your palm will be fine as time goes by with Axel's advice.

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Jim:

we pruned after we planted , later did not prune any more. great , i will follow both suggestion

it looks ok to me. give it some more time. its probably just brown tipping due to the shock of being moved and planted. watering every day will probably lead to root rot. i think once a week is plenty. good luck and welcome to the forum!

Looks OK to me too Steve.

By the way - I always go to Home Depot for information about palms, NOT :violin:

Jeff - You came to the right place. :greenthumb:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 3 weeks later...

got some new info , leaf middle part brown-yellow color---------some local professional told me my palm food too much reason , cause burned on leaf, how do you think ??

got some new info , leaf middle part brown-yellow color---------some local professional told me my palm food too much reason , cause burned on leaf, how do you think ??

did you actually fertilize it? most of the time I've never had issues with bagged soil even with small seedlings.

Hi,

Glad to see you too love this variety of phoenix palm.Its my favorite palm too.It looks okay to me and never trim newly planted palms to that extent.

Like washy they are tough palms which too not need much caring.Only problem with these CIDP is that they get infected very easily when pruning

tools are not kept clean..

And do not over fertilize this palm with chemical fertz.For a couple of year uses only organic fertz or composite.And water the palm only when the soil is dry.Since this palm fall under the category of date palms.(palms growing in dry regions)

Hope your palm does grow up to huge one as seen in this link !

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/639-any-pictures-on-cidp/

And reading your caption i though,that your palm is suffering from the dreaded fungus disease...

All the best,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

i put a lot palm food from homedepot after 2 months planted

how much is a lot? also was it slow release? if it wasn't slow release and you put the recommended or more than recommended dose that maybe your answer

I buy the home depot palm fertilizer, it's slow release and it's actually very high quality fertilizer. Someone else on this board recommended it. I forget the brand name, it's a blue bag. The bag now also comes in spikes that are inexpensive. I prefer the spikes but I use the granular slow release for smaller new plantings.

• 8 years later...

Hi all 

Planted this Canary Island Date Palm May first. Showed some browning of leases wrote it off to transplant shock. I live in Bluffton SC. Soil here is heavy clay and drains slowly. Watering has been guess work

the soil registers wet but the rootball registers dry on moisture meter. I have been watering every fourth day with a water bag designed to drip slowly around the trees base.

In my research I read caution about over watering and that I would be better to allow  the soil to be dry than wet. The plant is in full sun and have also heard that the leaves will sunburn prior to the root being established. Please have a look and tell me what you think. Thanks for your help.

Gary 

5A293A70-DA84-4B2F-8FB4-C65D7503876C.jpeg

On 6/11/2021 at 9:19 AM, Gfarrell said:

Hi all 

Planted this Canary Island Date Palm May first. Showed some browning of leases wrote it off to transplant shock. I live in Bluffton SC. Soil here is heavy clay and drains slowly. Watering has been guess work

the soil registers wet but the rootball registers dry on moisture meter. I have been watering every fourth day with a water bag designed to drip slowly around the trees base.

In my research I read caution about over watering and that I would be better to allow  the soil to be dry than wet. The plant is in full sun and have also heard that the leaves will sunburn prior to the root being established. Please have a look and tell me what you think. Thanks for your help.

Gary 

5A293A70-DA84-4B2F-8FB4-C65D7503876C.jpeg

Sure this is not a sylvester? I would dig down gently besides the spot where the moisture meter says it is dry and inspect it. Do this the day after watering and water more if it is dry down there and vice versa. How much rain are you getting?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...