IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

elHoagie

Thanks for the comments guys!

I also thought the Arenga looked like undalatifolia at first, but then I talked myself out of it...

The roots of the Eugeissona were for eating! I never had a chance to try any, so I can't comment on the taste...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

. I still have a LOT of photos of a LOT of additional palms, so stay tuned...

Yes we do!

Thanks, Jack

looking forward... soon?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Great shots. Where did you all stay at Batang Ai? Looking forward to the Kubah N.P.photos.

Thanks for the comments!

In Batang Ai we spent our first two nights at Nanga Sumpa, then the next three nights at Lubok Kasai. Both lodges were built and maintained by local Iban communities.

At long last, I have a few of the palms from Kubah ready to go. First up is Areca furcata, which was fairly widespread. This is a small palm, maybe 2 m (6 ft) tall, with multiple stems approximately the diameter of my thumb.

post-74-0-86574100-1369667772_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-80656900-1369667780_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-81101000-1369667786_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-97311200-1369667795_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Areca insignis, which we only saw in the park palmetum. The terminal leaflets were very distinctive! This is also a small palm, with stems not much larger than A. furcata.

post-74-0-39876300-1369667906_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Here's another very distinctive palm that we again saw only in the palmetum. The leaves are VERY thick, almost like cardboard. Areca subacaulis.

post-74-0-86174400-1369667977_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-26243200-1369667987_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Caryota mitas, which we saw a few of...

post-74-0-51767100-1369668037_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

Iguanura palmuncula. We saw this palm scattered in a few locations, but I wouldn't say it was common. This is a mid-sized palm, the biggest one we saw was probably 3-4 m (10 ft) tall.

post-74-0-85808300-1369668122_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-70894600-1369668131_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-75192500-1369668142_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

We saw a few Johannesteisjmannia altifrons. Just as in Bako, they were restricted to one very small area in the park. They were much less impressive than the ones in Bako, with leaves that were noticeably shorter...

post-74-0-19496100-1369668273_thumb.jpg

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

That's it for now, but I still have quite a few more photos from Kubah...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

• 1 year later...

Ok, the next stop was a couple hours up the Delok river from Batang Ai. We spent 6 days in this area doing a lot of hiking looking for Orangutans, and we saw a lot of palms during the hikes. I don't have IDs for many of these palms, so any help would be appreciated.

First up is an unknown Arenga species. We didn't see too many of these. I'm pretty sure it's trunkless, as I don't remember seeing one that was "off the ground", but the leaves are huge (maybe 10 m or 30 ft long).

attachicon.gifBatang_Arenta_1.jpgattachicon.gifBatang_Arenta_2.jpg

I am up in Kota kinabalu, Sabah Borneo at the moment. These Arenga undulatifolia are growing everywhere here even 20 ft off the main coast road.

Fabulous looking palm and stand out a mile. Leaves are HUGE. They are growing alongside Oncosperma on slightly disturbed rainforest slopes

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Can't wait until the 2016 Biennial!!! :drool:

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Great stuff. We were in and around Kuching in Dec 2012/Jan 2013 for a couple weeks. We stayed up near Santubong at Permai Rainforest Resort and, yes, saw very few palms other than the mangrove palms you showed in the estuaries.

I did get down to Semengoh and got a tour of their arboretum and ethnobotany garden but not the palm garden. Here's an unknown (to me) that was growing along a fence with both flowers and fruit.

Down by Serian, near the Indonesian border, I was attracted to this road lined with what looks to my Florida eyes like royal palms.

I'm really excited about trying to attend this biennial! Any idea of what level of budget I need to be socking away?

Dave

post-6229-0-77887300-1409105183_thumb.jp

post-6229-0-13318600-1409105201_thumb.jp

post-6229-0-05227100-1409105218_thumb.jp

post-6229-0-47945600-1409105636_thumb.jp

We did a lot of hiking, and saw quite a bit of the park. However, we only saw Johannesteijsmannia altifrons growing in one very small section.

attachicon.gifBako_Joey_1.jpgattachicon.gifBako_Joey_2.jpgattachicon.gifBako_Joey_3.jpgattachicon.gifBako_Joey_4.jpgattachicon.gifBako_Joey_5.jpgattachicon.gifBako_Joey_6.jpg

Nice, that must be the same ones I had seen in Bako in 2002. And I had never seen them before that in the wild!

Also lots of Nepenthes in that area, about 6 species. Its a sandstone area. Also a kind of Cycas growths in that area.

Alexander

• 4 weeks later...

Jack,

Thanks for the pictures. These palms look a lot like the euterpes that grow around my part of the tropics.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

• 6 months later...

Here is Eugeissona insignis, which was growing everywhere in Bako. These palms are HUGE, with leaves that are at least 10m long. In one photo you can see a bridge on one of the trails to get a sense of scale.

attachicon.gifBako_Eugeissona_1.jpgattachicon.gifBako_Eugeissona_2.jpgattachicon.gifBako_Eugeissona_3.jpgattachicon.gifBako_Eugeissona_4.jpg

Great photos Jack, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Jack, is this area where the IPS biennial will be next year?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I haven't tracked this thread as well as I should have... I do have more shots from Kubah that I should add...

To answer Len's question - yes, this is where a portion of the 2016 biennial will be. We do not yet have signed contracts, etc., so the itinerary is not set in stone, but the plan is base part of the biennial in Kuching. We will visit Bako and Kubah, where many of my photos were taken. We will also visit the Semenggoh Orangutan Sanctuary and it's palm collection (I did not visit this location during my trip).

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

• 2 weeks later...

Description of general plans (NOT FINAL) for 2016 Biennial Palm Trip:

https://www.palms.org/newsletter/August2014.pdf

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 5/12/2013, 3:48:14, elHoagie said:

Saw this Salacca, I think it's the same species as the first Salacca from Bako (the pictures from Bako are MUCH better than these)...

post-74-0-90349300-1368388073_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-35741200-1368388083_thumb.jpg

Salacca can get confusing. Salacca zalaçca has separate male and female plants that exhibit different characteristics although they are the same species. Another oddity in the palm world.

What's not to love about palms in habitat.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Nice habitat photos! Thank you very much!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

• 4 years later...

Thanks for sharing these.  The joeys were fascinating to view in their native habitat.