IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fertilizer program

LI_Pets

Planted a group of palms about 30 of them the end of March. none over 6'

I'm getting many opinions and frequency and types to use.

And how to use them

I'm in zone 9A if that maters.

Your input would be appreciated.

I rarely use fertilizer except on my queens and mules, even then only once a year in the spring. Depends on your soil type and how much you want to push the plants.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I think that you can't go wrong with a good slow release, well balanced fertilizer. With fertilizer, you really do get what you pay for, for the most part. You want one with all the micro nutrients and there are different lengths of time that all the good ones can come in. the down side to the good ones is that the majority of them don't release under 60-65 degree soil (not air temp-which is usually much warmer) temps. So I use Nutricote 6 month 19-6-12. I get about 6 months growing time, so I only fert once a year because the soil temps are only that warm for about 6 months.

If you were only interested in organic, than just ignore the above!

Most of Lesco's ferts are sulfur coated which is good if you want to lower your PH. Not sure if this one is, but if the price is under $30.00/40lb bag, then it probably is. I like their triple 14 fert a lot, and it has all the micro nutrients that the more expensive ones have and it releases at 45 degree soil temps. It all comes down to that sulfur coating and what your PH is. For me, being in a colder climate, I like a higher nitrogen number to push more growth in the summer. 8 is pretty low unless your climate is so warm that you have great growth all year.

I still say, since you already have clay soil nutrients aren't really a big problem for most of the palms you bought. Spend the money on improving the soil through organic matter, don't waste it on fertilize unless your palms show signs of deficiency. Also I never fertilize until at least a year after planting with synthetics, the roots just aren't developed enough to absorb it before it runs off in our heavy rains.

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

The Fl State extension folks like lesco 8-2-12

Anyone use that brand?

I have used this fert. Its a time release for 3 months as the surface dissolves, but its not as controlled as florikan palm special(osmotic membrane release). the florikan lasts 2x as long and has more consistent release so I use it instead now. My soils are sandy so the better controlled release is worth it. You have alot of clay content as I recall, this lesco stuff should be fine...

I put florikan down within 4-6 weeks after planting and it takes another 3-4 weeks to get into release mode, works great. An osmotic membrane release doesnt "dissolve" so it wont run off in heavy rain. this lesco stuff has a release that is delayed by a prill coating that dissolves. Once the coating dissolves Lesco fert will runoff with rain. Again clay soil is easier to deal with micronutrient balance as it isnt high drainage, retains micros better. the problem with ferts is that each component has a different solubility with potassium being the most soluble. What this means is that the Lesco will have very little potassium left at the 2 1/2-3 month mark. the same is true of all the traces, they will dissolve at rates based on their solubility. Membrane release ferts dont have this problem as diffusion rate is controlled and depends on membrane porosity, soil temp, and concentration gradient across the membrane. So once the fert releases some K, the concentration increase in the soil slows the release across the membrane until the concentration drops. there is a max release rate under flooding that is based on membrane porosity. this means that the osmotic release ferts give you a more consistent soil concentration with time than those that have dissolvable coatings like lesco.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I called a few nurseries and asked the FL county extension.

They like that Lesco stuff, so I'll give a try.