IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who is growing Mauritiella armata?

doranakandawatta

Singapore december 2012:

post-6735-0-04029000-1367689598_thumb.jppost-6735-0-64249400-1367689641_thumb.jppost-6735-0-59082400-1367689673_thumb.jp

Doranakanda garden, april 2013:

post-6735-0-49572400-1367689315_thumb.jp

Next: where to plant, sunny place, which soil?

Thanks.

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

These are beautiful palms and I wish I had more. I have a small one about three and a half feet tall.

post-2997-0-36524700-1367690361_thumb.jp

I have pretty much sandy soil but I put loads of black dirt mixed in with the sand. It's in a fairly sunny spot with a few hours of direct sunlight each day. Good Luck with yours.

Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Peter,

Is your Mauritiella already clumping win so young?

Nice pics of a nice garden, thank you.

Philippe

Philippe, they like lots of water and often grow along side Mauritia in habitat. They get huge here in Hilo, so you have to be careful where you plant it.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks TIM,

Then it will go on the stream bank; I hope some other seeds will sprout, so I can plant a Mauritiella grove!

Philippe

Good choice Philippe. Here are a couple of photos I took in Ecuador a few years back and you can

see the habitat. The one M. armata has obviously been pruned, they can get quite dense.

The journey through this part of the country was as dreamy as it looks too.

Tim

post-1300-0-47607000-1367701526_thumb.jp post-1300-0-89530400-1367701631_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I just put one in the ground in Orlando Florida. We will see.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

I have one here at the nursery that's now been in the ground for 10 years. It was less than 2' tall and from a 3 gallon pot. It's now about 9-10' tall and has taken 30 degrees F with absolutely NO damage. Quite the surprise!!!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have had one in the ground for about 4 years from a 1 gal pot. Certainly not the fastest palm in the garden but nice and steady growth, it's has several new shoots and is only about 5ft tall. It has seen about 29.5f with no problem and that nasty extended cold spell in Jan some years back and showed no damage. Mine is planted in the extreme wet zone of my yard and seems to enjoy the location.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I planted one out a couple years ago here. It grows in a protected location in black, wet mucky soil. It is about 3ft tall now and has tolerated mid/upper 30sF so far with no damage. .

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

One of the fastest growers in my garden! Planted in August as a 1 gal. About 2.5' tall. Produced it's first sucker in December and then the next one in February (which died in March). Exposed in March to a low of 36 but a nasty stretch of low daytime highs. Pulled a spear in March, which caused the main growth point to split. Both points seem to be healthy now and have been producing healthy leaves since the split. So now it's both branching and producing sucker (kinda like Dypsis baronii).

Based on the observations in my garden this past March, it seems to be about equal to Euterpe oleracea in cold sensitivity. The only two palms I have in the ground that got stressed out, but both made a quick recovery.

Donald Sanders has a spectacular one up in Kona at 1600 ft ASL.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C