doranakandawatta

Who is growing Mauritiella armata?

doranakandawatta

Singapore december 2012:

post-6735-0-04029000-1367689598_thumb.jppost-6735-0-64249400-1367689641_thumb.jppost-6735-0-59082400-1367689673_thumb.jp

Doranakanda garden, april 2013:

post-6735-0-49572400-1367689315_thumb.jp

Next: where to plant, sunny place, which soil?

Thanks.

Peter Pacific

These are beautiful palms and I wish I had more. I have a small one about three and a half feet tall.

post-2997-0-36524700-1367690361_thumb.jp

I have pretty much sandy soil but I put loads of black dirt mixed in with the sand. It's in a fairly sunny spot with a few hours of direct sunlight each day. Good Luck with yours.

Peter

doranakandawatta

Peter,

Is your Mauritiella already clumping win so young?

Nice pics of a nice garden, thank you.

realarch

Philippe, they like lots of water and often grow along side Mauritia in habitat. They get huge here in Hilo, so you have to be careful where you plant it.

doranakandawatta

Thanks TIM,

Then it will go on the stream bank; I hope some other seeds will sprout, so I can plant a Mauritiella grove!

realarch

Good choice Philippe. Here are a couple of photos I took in Ecuador a few years back and you can

see the habitat. The one M. armata has obviously been pruned, they can get quite dense.

The journey through this part of the country was as dreamy as it looks too.

Tim

post-1300-0-47607000-1367701526_thumb.jp post-1300-0-89530400-1367701631_thumb.jp

tikitiki

I just put one in the ground in Orlando Florida. We will see.

Jeff Searle

I have one here at the nursery that's now been in the ground for 10 years. It was less than 2' tall and from a 3 gallon pot. It's now about 9-10' tall and has taken 30 degrees F with absolutely NO damage. Quite the surprise!!!

redant

I have had one in the ground for about 4 years from a 1 gal pot. Certainly not the fastest palm in the garden but nice and steady growth, it's has several new shoots and is only about 5ft tall. It has seen about 29.5f with no problem and that nasty extended cold spell in Jan some years back and showed no damage. Mine is planted in the extreme wet zone of my yard and seems to enjoy the location.

Eric in Orlando

I planted one out a couple years ago here. It grows in a protected location in black, wet mucky soil. It is about 3ft tall now and has tolerated mid/upper 30sF so far with no damage. .

sarasota alex

One of the fastest growers in my garden! Planted in August as a 1 gal. About 2.5' tall. Produced it's first sucker in December and then the next one in February (which died in March). Exposed in March to a low of 36 but a nasty stretch of low daytime highs. Pulled a spear in March, which caused the main growth point to split. Both points seem to be healthy now and have been producing healthy leaves since the split. So now it's both branching and producing sucker (kinda like Dypsis baronii).

Based on the observations in my garden this past March, it seems to be about equal to Euterpe oleracea in cold sensitivity. The only two palms I have in the ground that got stressed out, but both made a quick recovery.

JasonD

Donald Sanders has a spectacular one up in Kona at 1600 ft ASL.