IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

01/30/07 Freeze Damage

Tag

Well, I thought that I had gotten out of this unscathed, but apperantly not.  My two king palms are showing around 35 - 40 % leaf damage.  This is very surprising to me.  They survived 26 last year with frost and similar damage.  We only got down to 30.2 last night, there was visible frost on the ground, but I did not notice any on these two palms.  There was definitely frost on a C. Ochlandra, Pigmy Date, and Foxtail, but there is no noticaeable damage on any of those.  I know that they'll pull through and look fine in a few months because they grow like weeds, but I thought they would be undamaged after last year.  I am worried about the damage getting worse too, there are still black rectangular splotches on some of the leaves.  I am hoping that these go away and don't turn brown and die.  If they do, I may be looking at 70 - 80% leaf damage.  I even fertilized these palms two weeks ago to bring up the salt content.  I am guessing that either ; a. there was frost, b. the duration of the cold (around 8 hours below freezing) did the damage, or c. a combination of both did the damage.

Hi Tag,

where abouts are you? I f you post a pic someone can help you with the problem

also king palm's hate frost I remember mine got some leaf burn due to the feb 14 frost

and it was 36 outside most kings can handle that temp which you were at 30.2 without a problem I hope someone can help you out i like to know too

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.