Sign in to follow this  
Tag

01/30/07 Freeze Damage

Tag

Well, I thought that I had gotten out of this unscathed, but apperantly not.  My two king palms are showing around 35 - 40 % leaf damage.  This is very surprising to me.  They survived 26 last year with frost and similar damage.  We only got down to 30.2 last night, there was visible frost on the ground, but I did not notice any on these two palms.  There was definitely frost on a C. Ochlandra, Pigmy Date, and Foxtail, but there is no noticaeable damage on any of those.  I know that they'll pull through and look fine in a few months because they grow like weeds, but I thought they would be undamaged after last year.  I am worried about the damage getting worse too, there are still black rectangular splotches on some of the leaves.  I am hoping that these go away and don't turn brown and die.  If they do, I may be looking at 70 - 80% leaf damage.  I even fertilized these palms two weeks ago to bring up the salt content.  I am guessing that either ; a. there was frost, b. the duration of the cold (around 8 hours below freezing) did the damage, or c. a combination of both did the damage.

falcon1988

Hi Tag,

where abouts are you? I f you post a pic someone can help you with the problem

also king palm's hate frost I remember mine got some leaf burn due to the feb 14 frost

and it was 36 outside most kings can handle that temp which you were at 30.2 without a problem I hope someone can help you out i like to know too